The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

skipping the sunroof Options
Aventador LP700-4
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 2:43:47 AM

Neurons: 19,638
What does the writer mean here by skipping the sunroof?

The STI also has more front-seat headroom (assuming you skip the sunroof) and a bit more than 2 inches of extra rear legroom, while on the other hand the Focus RS has almost an extra inch of rear headroom.

Source:
https://www.autobytel.com/coupes/car-buying-guides/2018-ford-focus-rs-vs-2018-subaru-sti-which-is-best-132912/

Does it mean assuming you ignore the sunroof?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 4:05:08 AM

Neurons: 10,120
Aventador LP700-4 wrote:
What does the writer mean here by skipping the sunroof?

The STI also has more front-seat headroom (assuming you skip the sunroof) and a bit more than 2 inches of extra rear legroom, while on the other hand the Focus RS has almost an extra inch of rear headroom.

Source:
https://www.autobytel.com/coupes/car-buying-guides/2018-ford-focus-rs-vs-2018-subaru-sti-which-is-best-132912/

Does it mean assuming you ignore the sunroof?

The link you have provided does not work for me, perhaps it's regionally locked.

I would assume it means that the car has more headroom than the Focus RS unless you but a model with a sunroof in it as the sunroof housing lowers the headroom.

I could be wrong as however as I cannot read the article.
Romany
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 4:21:16 AM

Neurons: 51,960
Sarries -

I was interested in reading your explanation as the way I interpreted it seemed counter-intuitive. But unfortunately you have a bit of a keyboard-glitch and left out something in the second sentence?
Donthailand
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 6:24:41 AM

Neurons: 734,775
"assuming you skip the sunroof" is meant as a jest. You are not going to stick your head out through the sunroof, are you? In other words, the sunroof doesn't count.
thar
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 7:19:37 AM

Neurons: 85,647
I also assumed it was a joke

Lots of headroom

It is poorly structured as a joke, but I can't see how choosing the sunroof option reduces headroom, so that makes no sense.
ozok
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:30:40 AM

Neurons: 2,210

Quote:

I can't see how choosing the sunroof option reduces headroom, so that makes no sense.

Poster Sarriesfan above made some sense with his 'fuzzy' comment:

Quote:

...a model with a sunroof in it as the sunroof housing lowers the headroom.

ie. a model with a sunroof requires a large and strong housing thus increasing the distance between the car ‘ceiling' and the external body work.

And I expect it to be especially so for passengers in the back seat since a sunroof needs to go somewhere when it is open...usually backwards.
(or upwards which then alters the aerodynamics)

thar
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:36:18 AM

Neurons: 85,647
Really? No sunroof I've seen reduces the headroom.

Maybe I am not travelling in posh enough cars.
ozok
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:42:47 AM

Neurons: 2,210

you said it!

see here

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:59:02 AM

Romany wrote:
Sarries -

I was interested in reading your explanation as the way I interpreted it seemed counter-intuitive. But unfortunately you have a bit of a keyboard-glitch and left out something in the second sentence?

A bit of a typo yes sorry.

I meant to type " unless you buy a model with a sunroof in it".

Sometimes the predictive text one the device I use causes little glitches most of the time I spot and correct them, that one slipped through the net.
Jaimeteddy
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 10:44:13 AM

Neurons: 20
Undeniably, the sunroof creates a more airy feel for the cabin and this equipment also makes the car look more premium. However, on hot summer days, outdoor temperatures up to 35 - 45 degrees Celsius, the temperature of the tires can be up to 55 - 60 degrees C. Under that condition, rubber gaskets seal the door. The sunroof will age very quickly, harden or crack, leading to an inadequate fit. Rainwater will flow into the car.
In addition, dirt will be sold into the gasket edges of the sunroof, which will harden or become stagnant in the cracks for a long time. When the user opens / closes the door, the dirt has a chance to go deeper and become an obstacle that prevents the gasket from being as tight as it used to be, causing leaks in the rain or when washing the car.
With many cars equipped with a large sunroof (panorama), the curtain below is too fragile to reveal very uncomfortable disadvantages in the summer. In the hot sun, the space in the car was too hot and bright, making people no longer feel comfortable if they want to rest when they are tired.
Therefore, the sunroof is only suitable for temperate weather and fresh air
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 12:28:06 PM

Neurons: 972,034
"Skipping the ..." simply means to bypass that choice. If you purchase the model of car without the sunroof, more headroom will be availalbe. I suspect it is due to not needing the structural component that provides and supports the sunroof mechanism. ( There are internal parts of the sunroof that take up space.)

"Skip(ping) the ..." is used quite frequently.
More examples...
-What are you doing this weekend?
-I'm skipping Mary's party so that I can go to the basketball game.

-I didn't see you this morning. Where were you?
-I skipped the all-company meeting because they're so boring.

-You're not dressed correctly for the parade this afternoon. What's the deal?
-I skipped practice yesterday so I didn't know we were planning to wear uniforms today.

-I don't feel very good today because I skipped a dose of medicine and now I'm paying the price.

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 8:04:24 AM

Like Thar, I don't see any logic behind behind skipping the choice of having a sunroof leading to more headroom.

The only way I judge a car is by its colour(!) so I don't know what's considered a "posh" car anymore. But I think a Beamer (BMW) is still regarded as at least a sound vehicle? And having a sunroof doesn't impact headroom in those. I once had a car - about 20 years ago - where it DID make a difference. But then I haven't seen that style of housing for an "open top" in rather a while.

Anyway, that's my two penn'orth - based on absolutely no knowledge of car construction, only personal experience - and that's the reason I, personally, don't see the logic.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 5:31:02 PM

Romany wrote:
Like Thar, I don't see any logic behind behind skipping the choice of having a sunroof leading to more headroom.

The only way I judge a car is by its colour(!) so I don't know what's considered a "posh" car anymore. But I think a Beamer (BMW) is still regarded as at least a sound vehicle? And having a sunroof doesn't impact headroom in those. I once had a car - about 20 years ago - where it DID make a difference. But then I haven't seen that style of housing for an "open top" in rather a while.

Anyway, that's my two penn'orth - based on absolutely no knowledge of car construction, only personal experience - and that's the reason I, personally, don't see the logic.

Romany when we were shopping for a new car 2 years ago nothing too posh, a Ford C-Max, Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson, Skoda Yeti etc. It was noticeable that with modern sunroofs (unlike the one we had in the 1990s) the roof headroom space and clearance was far less.
I don’t know why perhaps safety standards these days are more stringent car roofs are expected to survive a roll with a sunroof in them where before they did not? The cars with sunroofs had what appeared to be extra beans strengthening the roof anyway from what I could tell.

A sunroof is different from a cabriolet with a soft top, never had one of those we did have a Triumph Herald once where you lifted the whole roof off and left it at home on a sunny day and hoped it did not rain.... useful in England.
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 8:14:06 PM

Sarries,

OMG! I had a car once with a detachable roof, too. Only, I bought it without the top: the bloke had been four months gone before I'd thought to ask him where it was. I was living just about on the equator, so that's not as drastic, or quite as daft, as it sounds: it was the Dry Season until then.

Once the Monsoons came I used to have to take daily gambles over going to/leaving work, parties, the shops! And oh! the absolute HOURS I spent, sitting in traffic with tropical - albeit warm - rain, pelting down so hard people advised me to carry a scuba tank with me!

(I also drove a Triumph. It was a TR4 - with the canvas/whatever collapsible hood. British racing green. And with its lower-slung chassis probably the most unsuitable car to drive on an island where there was only 20 miles of sealed road. But how absolutely gorgeous it felt on those 20 miles. And the best things were the sound and feel of the gear changes once you got past second!)
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2020 6:04:54 AM

So an update on this.
We had our house broken into and a number of items stolen including our car so had to get a new one.
We could have had a new one in a months time or a 19 plate ex-demonstration car immediately, we took the latter option it was cheaper but has all the bells and whistles on it.
The sunroof housing is strengthened and it also has an electric motor to open the roof for you, it’s not like the old days when we pushed a bit of vinyl to open a sunroof ourselves.
This reduces the head room over the car we had stolen (of the same model) but it feels lighter because we can see the sky, I’m 5ft 10 the tallest in our family so it makes no difference but if you were from a family of taller people you might get into one car and be okay but hit your head on the roof of another.

Edit: The money we saved on the car went to getting a better burglar alarm system.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, January 13, 2020 7:14:25 PM

Enjoy the new car!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 7:55:47 AM

Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Enjoy the new car!

Thanks Wilmer, we hope to, the circumstances that lead to it were not too great though waking up one morning to find the door had be forced open.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:32:42 PM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Enjoy the new car!

Thanks Wilmer, we hope to, the circumstances that lead to it were not too great though waking up one morning to find the door had be forced open.

Very sorry to hear of your trouble. When our daughter was in college, her car was broken into 3 times, I believe. The college, an excellent one, had a bad neighborhood wrapped around it.

We also bought a new vehicle in December. But we needed to do that, as the car we had been driving had 234,300 miles on it! Time for new wheels.