The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Simple, easy, video editor? Options
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:47:05 AM

Neurons: 164,996
I have a bunch of video files I would like to edit and splice together. Nothing fancy, I do not need animation, multi-trak, special effects, or any other bells and whistles. I searched for free video editors in Google and got a lot of options but they are all far more complex than what I need. Does anyone know of a simple, free video editor that will allow me to join video files, cut some sections out, and maybe do some voice over?

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 10:09:55 AM

Neurons: 30,181
Epiphileon wrote:
I have a bunch of video files I would like to edit and splice together. Nothing fancy, I do not need animation, multi-trak, special effects, or any other bells and whistles. I searched for free video editors in Google and got a lot of options but they are all far more complex than what I need. Does anyone know of a simple, free video editor that will allow me to join video files, cut some sections out, and maybe do some voice over?

Unfortunately, this is a really bad time for such a request. Up until several years ago both MS Windows and macOS included simple video editors with their standard installations that could handle the most popular CODECs (video stream encoding and decoding methods) and file formats (the standards for presenting the resulting video streams).

For the moment, my best suggestion is one of the editors bundled with a new camera with video recording capability.

One interesting project to keep in mind is VLMC. The flagship project is VLC, which has an excellent track record for access to older CODECs. Although their primary development is under desktop Linux, there is a strong community dedicated to porting the software to other platforms.

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 4:39:49 AM

Thanks Leon!

Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, December 7, 2019 10:13:25 AM

Neurons: 1,180,404
In the old days you could take a bunch of mpg files and put them in an uncompressed zip archive. You would then change the zip archive's file extension from .zip to .mpg. An mpg player would then play through the mpg video files as though they had been spliced together.
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2019 4:04:04 AM

Thanks Oscar I'll give that a shot.