The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

in which case Options
navi
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:12:11 AM

Neurons: 4,250
Which are correct:

1) In which case are you both responsible and in which case is John responsible alone?
2) In which case you are both responsible and in which case only John is responsible?
3) In which case are you both responsible and in which case only John is responsible?
4) In which case are you both responsible and in which case is only John responsible?

Gratefully,
Navi
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:50:00 AM

Neurons: 50,893

Navi - 1. and 4. are ok - the other two have the verb (is) in the wrong position.

However, this is a very specific sentence use - it could only take place in a legal setting - something a judge/lawyer might ask.

So I was wondering if you were learning about the idiomatic usage of "in which case" - when it means "because of this/that"?

Neither of the four sentences above demonstrate this meaning - but I thought I'd ask - because otherwise the phrase "In which case" doesn't seem to be one that you'd have to learn?
navi
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 4:19:19 PM

Neurons: 4,250
Thank you very much, Romany,

No, I didn't have that meaning in mind.

There are two possible cases. In one case you and John both broke the windows of the bar. In the other case, John broke the windows of the bar, and you tried to prevent him. In one case, you are both responsible. In the other case, only John is responsible.

Well, not an excellent example, but I think you get my meaning.

Gratefully,
Navi