mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

rugby world cup - congratulations Japan Options
thar
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 11:53:28 AM

Neurons: 84,385
Commiserations Scotland. Good match.

Japan vs Scotland rugby highlights

Interesting cultural point that in Japan coverage tattooing is a mark of organised crime but for the Pacific Islanders a sign of cultural pride and identity - special dispensation given for foreigners to show their tattoos and not be banned from public places during the world cup, except some places where they are allowed to enter but must cover them up.

For anyone who doesn't know rugby, this is what you are missing!

Wales vs Australia

Australia vs Wales world cup group match highlights

Tonga's Sip Tau (their name for the Haka, presumably)

Fiji vs Georgia highlights

and this one for precision kicking from France - who needs a quarterback to throw the ball when you can have a fly-half who can kick it! Whistle

France vs USA

WeaselADAPT
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:03:59 PM

Neurons: 29,755
thar wrote:

Interesting cultural point that in Japan coverage tattooing is a mark of organised crime but for the Pacific Islanders a sign of cultural pride and identity - special dispensation given for foreigners to show their tattoos and not be banned from public places during the world cup, except some places where they are allowed to enter but must cover them up.

It is an interesting point of culture that in Japan, "coverage tattooing" is a mark of organised crime, but for the Pacific Islanders, a sign of cultural pride and identity. Special dispensation is given in Japan for foreigners to show their tattoos and not be banned from public places during the World Cup, with the exception of some places where they are allowed to enter but must cover them up.

the Weasel
WeaselWorks Freelance Editing
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:16:21 PM

Neurons: 9,925
thar wrote:

For anyone who doesn't know rugby, this is what you are missing!

Wales vs Australia

Australia vs Wales world cup group match highlights

Tonga's Sip Tau (their name for the Haka, presumably)

Fiji vs Georgia highlights

and this one for precision kicking from France - who needs a quarterback to throw the ball when you can have a fly-half who can kick it! Whistle

France vs USA

It was a tense game with a lot riding on it Japan now play South Africa in the Quarter Finals, we’ll have to see if the manage to go further in the competition.
Of course I am watching each match ticking off any Saracens player, hoping they suffer no injuries Juan Figallo from Argentina and “Super Dunc” Duncan Taylor are coming back to Allianz Park safely, I hope the rest do too.

thar
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:38:47 PM

WeaselADAPT wrote:
thar wrote:

It is an interesting point of culture that in Japan, "coverage tattooing" is a mark of organised crime, but for the Pacific Islanders, a sign of cultural pride and identity. Special dispensation is given in Japan for foreigners to show their tattoos and not be banned from public places during the World Cup, with the exception of some places where they are allowed to enter but must cover them up.

the Weasel
WeaselWorks Freelance Editing

Hey, no problem but you don't have to correct my English when I am just having a chat. Culture and whatever is a different thread from grammar.
Edit - oops , or editing my own post to repeat words! d'oh!

Actually, while I don't mind it might make some people reluctant to write, and I think we can all agree we want everyone to feel confident in contributing to the culture section in whatever way they can, however they say it.
That goes for all the sections, of course.
The forum is (or has been, and I hope it can stay that way for at least a while longer) a community forum not just a learners' service.
thar
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 1:59:19 PM

I do get the impression that on a certain level, to a small extent (NZ, AUS, England) it is partly a competition of 'our Fijians are better than your Fijians!' Whistle Whistle

Yes, all the quarter-finals decided now:
England - Oz
NZ - Ireland
Wales - France
Japan - RSA

Japan must be in with a chance, at least (edit - at this stage); and the others?
Edit - all of these teams have the ability if not the consistency, so it is anybody's if they can get it together on the day.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 5:26:33 PM

thar wrote:
I do get the impression that on a certain level, to a small extent (NZ, AUS, England) it is partly a competition of 'our Fijians are better than your Fijians!' Whistle Whistle

Yes, all the quarter-finals decided now:
England - Oz
NZ - Ireland
Wales - France
Japan - RSA

Japan must be in with a chance, at least (edit - at this stage); and the others?
Edit - all of these teams have the ability if not the consistency, so it is anybody's if they can get it together on the day.

I think 4 of the current England squad Mako and Billie Vunipola Who are of Tongan decent but brought up in England as their dad played for an English club , Manu Tuilangi and Joe Cokanasagi are of Fijian heritage.
A friend of mines daughter went to the same school with 3 of the current squad, St George’s in Harpenden.
WeaselADAPT
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2019 10:58:32 PM

Neurons: 29,755
thar wrote:
Hey, no problem but you don't have to correct my English when I am just having a chat. Culture and whatever is a different thread from grammar.

Actually, while I don't mind it might make some people reluctant to write, and I think we can all agree we want everyone to feel confident in contributing to the culture section in whatever way they can, however they say it.
That goes for all the sections, of course.
The forum is (or has been, and I hope it can stay that way for at least a while longer) a community forum not just a learners' service.

Understood. Very good point.

Thanks, Thar.

the Weasel
thar
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2019 8:07:15 AM

No problem

England vs Australia

no spoilers, but I have to say I am a bit surprised!

short highlights

And NZ vs Ireland. With the Irish crowd trying to outsing the haka. Personally (without any knowledge of Maori warfare protocols!) I don't think it is disrespectful, it is facing the warriors' challenge.
Singing a song in unison is completely different from shouting it down or deliberately disrespecting it - you don't get the chance to respond afterwards (if only one team is doing a haka), so it has to be during!

Not so surprised, but well played to them.

I don't know if they now play each other? If so, by far the harder semi-final. (No offence Wales, Japan, France, South Africa, but that must be true). Whistle

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, October 19, 2019 1:41:38 PM

thar wrote:
No problem

England vs Australia

no spoilers, but I have to say I am a bit surprised!

short highlights

And NZ vs Ireland. With the Irish crowd trying to outsing the haka. Personally (without any knowledge of Maori warfare protocols!) I don't think it is disrespectful, it is facing the warriors' challenge.
Singing a song in unison is completely different from shouting it down or deliberately disrespecting it - you don't get the chance to respond afterwards (if only one team is doing a haka), so it has to be during!

Not so surprised, but well played to them.

I don't know if they now play each other? If so, by far the harder semi-final. (No offence Wales, Japan, France, South Africa, but that must be true). Whistle

Yes England play New Zealand and the winners of Wales vs France and Japan vs South Africa play each other, I hope Japan win it will be great for rugby development world wide if they do.

I have been in a stadium a couple of times when the Haka is being performed the atmosphere can be electric.
The Tongans and Fijians have their own versions but I cannot remember their names.
thar
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 10:56:27 AM

Ah, well, Japan out. From the highlights clip it looks they they were doing OK for the first half but the Springboks worked out an attack they couldn't deal with - they have proved they have the attacking skills but maybe they just don't have the experience to be able to adapt in defense.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 2:42:10 AM

thar wrote:
Ah, well, Japan out. From the highlights clip it looks they they were doing OK for the first half but the Springboks worked out an attack they couldn't deal with - they have proved they have the attacking skills but maybe they just don't have the experience to be able to adapt in defense.

In the first half South Africa were playing a passing game and Japans rush defence with its quick line speed prevented them from making those passes.
In the second half South Africa gave the ball to their forwards who battered the smaller Japanese players into submission.
It was a good game though and Japan gave a good account of themselves.
towan52
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 10:13:24 AM

Neurons: 219,242
Japan has every reason to be proud of their efforts in this competition! Hosting the World Cup has helped their squad into a team to reckoned with.

Prediction for the Final: New Zealand v Wales
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 1:20:42 PM

towan52 wrote:
Japan has every reason to be proud of their efforts in this competition! Hosting the World Cup has helped their squad into a team to reckoned with.

Prediction for the Final: New Zealand v Wales

Yes I would make the same prediction, as much as I’d like England to beat the All Blacks.
thar
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 2:31:45 PM

I have to go for England - South Africa, then, don't I. Whistle

Much as I would like Wales to win. (and although I haven't seen much of South Africa, I would also expect Wales to win, seeing what they have been capable of so far).

thar
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 3:43:03 AM

Told ya.

Well done England for out-playing the All-Blacks. So glad it was a good exciting game.

I have to admit I don't think SA can do the same but you never know.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 4:54:02 AM

thar wrote:
Told ya.

Well done England for out-playing the All-Blacks. So glad it was a good exciting game.

I have to admit I don't think SA can do the same but you never know.

Well darn it thar I am so cut up my prediction was wrong.Whistle Dancing
thar
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2019 1:02:37 PM

Zero for 2!

It sounds like Wales made some questionable decisions like keeping on the injured Biggar? Although he can kick, you can't afford to half a man down.

Sad it wasn't such a good game, but they can't all be good attacking games - sometimes you get teams that just don't want to lose.

I back England to win against SA unless they up their game, though. Power can only get you so far and England have the big boys to counter it as well as the quick ones to get past them.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 3:21:41 AM

thar wrote:
Zero for 2!

It sounds like Wales made some questionable decisions like keeping on the injured Biggar? Although he can kick, you can't afford to half a man down.

Sad it wasn't such a good game, but they can't all be good attacking games - sometimes you get teams that just don't want to lose.

I back England to win against SA unless they up their game, though. Power can only get you so far and England have the big boys to counter it as well as the quick ones to get past them.

I guess I’ll have to back SA then and hope my round of predictions is as good as ever.Whistle
towan52
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 9:02:28 AM

Neurons: 219,242
With the accuracy and incisiveness of my previous predictions - Go Springboks!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 3:14:44 PM

Neurons: 535,591
For an ice-hockey and football enthusiast, looking some of these rugby matches was a wonderment. Yes, they play rugby here, toi. Not for WC, though.
Boo hoo!
thar
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2019 4:09:36 PM

Yes, apparently Finland are ranked 99 it if 102 with other countries unranked (not that rankings are that accurate, but it does suggest they are not quite the best team in the world) so maybe no world cup yet. But who cares when it is such fun.

It is more like ice hockey than football in that in a good game the action is non-stop. In football you spend a while passing the ball around setting things up - but rugby union is just exhausting to watch it is so full-on.

England Vs New Zealand semi-final extended highlghts
Absurdicuss
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 9:53:45 PM

Neurons: 30,654

Hello to all. Rugby is a great spectator sport. I only get to view it on YouTube, really enjoy it, but don't understand the rules. Any suggestions on where I can read up on Official Rugby rules would be much appreciated.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 11:43:32 AM

Absurdicuss wrote:

Hello to all. Rugby is a great spectator sport. I only get to view it on YouTube, really enjoy it, but don't understand the rules. Any suggestions on where I can read up on Official Rugby rules would be much appreciated.

Well if you want chapter and verse then read this.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/World_Rugby_Laws_2018_EN.pdf

But the BBC produced and easy to follow guide.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/rules_and_equipment/4200680.stm
Or you can watch this YouTube video from England Rugby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJejnPI0p0
it’s animated using line drawings.

That’s Union anyway, Leagues a different game.
Absurdicuss
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 4:54:04 PM

Neurons: 30,654

Thank you

Cheers