The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I assume we're looking for an answer more sophisticated than 'to get you into bed' Options
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:17:06 AM

Neurons: 4,166
Can you explain what Ross mean here? What does "it was a line mean"?

I think they are talking about Monica's dating with Paul and that Paul was a lier.

Joey: (sitting on the arm of the couch)Of course it was a line!

Monica: Why?! Why? Why, why would anybody do something like that?

Ross: I assume we're looking for an answer more sophisticated than 'to get you into bed'.
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2019 10:03:20 AM

Neurons: 4,701,183
The line is a pick-up line. 'To get you into bed', although straightforward, is a bit crude, unsophisticated and will get only rolling eyes if a guy is lucky. Guys work hard on pick-up line with all of our creativity.
Verbatim
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2019 1:34:22 PM

Neurons: 245,969
"I think they are talking about Monica's dating with Paul and that Paul was a lier."

You need to quote "the line" so we can comment on it; a)agree or disagree with Joey and
b)consider Ross' assumption.
Tara2
Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2019 2:05:27 PM

Gary98 wrote:
The line is a pick-up line. 'To get you into bed', although straightforward, is a bit crude, unsophisticated and will get only rolling eyes if a guy is lucky. Guys work hard on pick-up line with all of our creativity.

Sorry I don't understand this "The line is a pick-up line."?
Gary98
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 9:39:37 AM

Neurons: 4,701,183
Joey: "Of course it was a line!" -- The "line" is a pick-up line.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 1:26:57 PM

Neurons: 9,639
Tara2 wrote:
Gary98 wrote:

Whatever the character Paul had said to Monica was a “pick-up line” an attempt to get Monica to engage in further conversation, drinks etc. eventually leading to sexual relations.
It’s not anything said in the scene between Monica, Ross and Joey but presumably she had already mentioned it to them, the night before she and Paul were on a date and the following conversation was had.
Quote:
Paul: Well, ever-ev-... ever since she left me, um, I haven't been able to, uh, perform. (Monica takes a sip of her drink.) ...Sexually.

Monica: (spitting out her drink in shock) Oh God, oh God, I am sorry... I am so sorry...

Paul: It's okay...

The implication is that Paul in claiming he has not been able to sustain an erection has intrigued Monica, how can I put it delicately she took it upon herself to see if she could fix his problem.
Then in another scene Monica and a character named Fannie have a conversation.
Quote:
Frannie: Oh, I hate you, I'm pushing my Aunt Roz through Parrot Jungle and you're having sex! So? Who?

Monica: You know Paul?

Frannie: Paul the Wine Guy? Oh yeah, I know Paul.

Monica: You mean you know Paul like I know Paul?

Frannie: Are you kidding? I take credit for Paul. Y'know before me, there was no snap in his turtle for two years.

Suggesting that Paul has used the same gambit to seduce Frannie prior to Monica.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, November 8, 2019 1:26:58 PM

Tara2 wrote:
Gary98 wrote:

Whatever the character Paul had said to Monica was a “pick-up line” an attempt to get Monica to engage in further conversation, drinks etc. eventually leading to sexual relations.
It’s not anything said in the scene between Monica, Ross and Joey but presumably she had already mentioned it to them, the night before she and Paul were on a date and the following conversation was had.
Quote:
Paul: Well, ever-ev-... ever since she left me, um, I haven't been able to, uh, perform. (Monica takes a sip of her drink.) ...Sexually.

Monica: (spitting out her drink in shock) Oh God, oh God, I am sorry... I am so sorry...

Paul: It's okay...

The implication is that Paul in claiming he has not been able to sustain an erection has intrigued Monica, how can I put it delicately she took it upon herself to see if she could fix his problem.
Then in another scene Monica and a character named Fannie have a conversation.
Quote:
Frannie: Oh, I hate you, I'm pushing my Aunt Roz through Parrot Jungle and you're having sex! So? Who?

Monica: You know Paul?

Frannie: Paul the Wine Guy? Oh yeah, I know Paul.

Monica: You mean you know Paul like I know Paul?

Frannie: Are you kidding? I take credit for Paul. Y'know before me, there was no snap in his turtle for two years.

Suggesting that Paul has used the same gambit to seduce Frannie prior to Monica, he was not sincere in his claim of impotence.

Romany
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:21:30 AM

Neurons: 50,252

Hey Tara -

Ever had a guy say to you "You're the most gorgeous girl I've ever seen in my life"?

If it's your boyfriend that's fine - to him you probably are. But if it's some guy you only met two minutes ago it's called a "pick-up line": he only wants to get you into bed.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"
"Is your father in prison because he stole the stars from the skies to put into your eyes?"
""Do you believe in love at FIRST sight - or do you want me to walk past you again?" (to make it love on SECOND sight)

are over-the-top "pick up lines" that some guys really do think will make a girl fall into their arms.

There are even books full of this kind of garbage which are sold as "guaranteed" to work.

But the main point of pick-up lines is to get laid. There's no other reason: if you really are attracted to someone you just want to talk to them and get to know them better - you don't use "lines" to get them into bed.

So when Monica asks "Why? Why?" did a guy use that pick-up line on her, Ross indicates that he knows she WANTS some excuse, reason - which is not just sexual - for the guy saying it. But, unfortunately, there is no other reason. He (Ross) can't help her by making excuses for the creep. He's just a creep and a liar who didn't want a meaningful relationship. He just wanted sex. Sad...but it happens.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 9:53:57 AM

Neurons: 59,916
Romany wrote:

Hey Tara -

Ever had a guy say to you "You're the most gorgeous girl I've ever seen in my life"?

If it's your boyfriend that's fine - to him you probably are. But if it's some guy you only met two minutes ago it's called a "pick-up line": he only wants to get you into bed.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"
"Is your father in prison because he stole the stars from the skies to put into your eyes?"
""Do you believe in love at FIRST sight - or do you want me to walk past you again?" (to make it love on SECOND sight)

are over-the-top "pick up lines" that some guys really do think will make a girl fall into their arms.

There are even books full of this kind of garbage which are sold as "guaranteed" to work.

But the main point of pick-up lines is to get laid. There's no other reason: if you really are attracted to someone you just want to talk to them and get to know them better - you don't use "lines" to get them into bed.

So when Monica asks "Why? Why?" did a guy use that pick-up line on her, Ross indicates that he knows she WANTS some excuse, reason - which is not just sexual - for the guy saying it. But, unfortunately, there is no other reason. He (Ross) can't help her by making excuses for the creep. He's just a creep and a liar who didn't want a meaningful relationship. He just wanted sex. Sad...but it happens.

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but what part of this is sad - the idea of using a line to make a woman laugh and initiate a conversation in the hope of getting sex, or is it the idea that a man might only want sex from a woman?

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Romany
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 10:26:35 AM

What's sad is that the guy wasn't interested in Monica at all - just a warm body. Whereas Monica was convinced that there was something special and unique about her that he was responding to. If one's feelings are engaged it would be sad for anyone. It would be just as sad the other way round - if she hadn't seen him as a person but as his genitals; while he thought they had something special.

It's sad to be lied to and decieved. For anyone. A truthful "I fancy you" or just being asked if one is interested in sex-without-strings, puts both people on an equal footing.

How the guy behaved with both Monica and the other girl was dishonest and took them both for a ride. And that's sad too.

Nothing about the incident made anyone laugh.

Tara2
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 10:40:19 AM

Oh sorry I forgot this thread.
Thank you so much Sarrriesfan, Romany, Gary98 and Foundit! I understand.
Sorry Verbatim now I understand what you mean. Thank you very much!
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 11:16:02 AM

Romany wrote:

What's sad is that the guy wasn't interested in Monica at all - just a warm body. Whereas Monica was convinced that there was something special and unique about her that he was responding to. If one's feelings are engaged it would be sad for anyone. It would be just as sad the other way round - if she hadn't seen him as a person but as his genitals; while he thought they had something special.
Not being familiar with the show or the episode, I had only what is written here to go by, but I saw nothing that indicated Monica was emotionally involved in Paul.

He used a lie in an attempt to elicit pity from her. I suppose that could be called "a line", since a line is used to try to draw one in. Using a lie is despicable, but my question was directed more towards your examples, which use humor as lines in order to start a conversation. It might be silly, but I don't see that as "sad". So it seems we're talking about two different situations.

It's sad to be lied to and decieved. For anyone. A truthful "I fancy you" or just being asked if one is interested in sex-without-strings, puts both people on an equal footing.
I can agree with that, but such honesty was not always considered "acceptable" by most women. That may have changed since the days when I dated, but it was certainly true at that time. That's why such lines were invented and used.

How the guy behaved with both Monica and the other girl was dishonest and took them both for a ride. And that's sad too.

Nothing about the incident made anyone laugh.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Romany
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 12:50:16 PM

FD - "Things may have changed since the days I dated." They most certainly have!!

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2019 3:18:31 PM

Tara2 wrote:

You are welcome Tara2.
This is an example of why we often ask for more context than just a few sentences, sometimes to understand what is meant by a single line of dialogue the full story is important.

Tara2
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 6:07:44 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

You are welcome Tara2.
This is an example of why we often ask for more context than just a few sentences, sometimes to understand what is meant by a single line of dialogue the full story is important.

Yes I understand. I'll try to write more context. Every thing that I can write.
Sorry I understand the meaning of that sentence totally. But which meaning of "line" in a dictionary is used here, please?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 8:40:08 AM

Tara2 wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

You are welcome Tara2.

Sorry I understand the meaning of that sentence totally. But which meaning of "line" in a dictionary is used here, please?

Tara2 sometimes if we just know where a sentence comes from it helps.

The meaning of line in a dictionary is this one.
Quote:
25. Informal Glib or insincere talk, usually intended to deceive or impress: He kept on handing me a line about how busy he is.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/line

FounDit
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 9:56:47 AM

Romany wrote:

FD - "Things may have changed since the days I dated." They most certainly have!!

Of that there is no doubt, and not always for the better. Approaching a woman and asking if she's interested in "sex-without-strings" would most likely get the guy charged with sexual assault, or sexual harassment today, rather than an invitation to her bed.

It is sad what political correctness has done. Rather than making women and men equal, the #MeToo movement has covinced women they are victims all over again with no power to say, "No".

I'm reminded of an early Women's Movement chant: "I am woman! Hear me roar! (Help me! Help me! I'm a victim!)

Tara2
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 10:00:14 AM

Sarrriesfan wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

You are welcome Tara2.

Tara2 sometimes if we just know where a sentence comes from it helps.

The meaning of line in a dictionary is this one.
Quote:
25. Informal Glib or insincere talk, usually intended to deceive or impress: He kept on handing me a line about how busy he is.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/line

Thank you so much for all your help!!!!
Romany
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 7:53:43 PM

Oh Foundit -

Have we not established yet, after all this time, that we live in different cultures?

As a single woman, and through my single son and all his crew: people don't go for playing games anymore.

No-one anywhere, in any of the countries we have all been in, would anyone slap anyone's face for being upfront from the beginning. And the assumption that it's the man approaching the woman is also outdated...which doesn't mean to say, for a moment, that I don't believe that it could indeed happen where you live, of course.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2019 8:05:51 PM

Tara -

Yes, the phrase "Context is king!" certainly applies in English. That's one of the reasons it's good to read standard, every-day English from sources like newspapers and magazines, too. Even the context of WHERE the source came from,(Like telling us it's from "Friends) already helps us enormously to know what KIND of English (standard, modern, American English) to expect to have to respond to. It all makes a difference.
srirr
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 5:44:19 AM

Neurons: 430,248
Off the course, but I had a good laugh. May be someone feels 'insulted' that "context is king" and not queen. Boo hoo!

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 1:34:32 PM

Srirr -

Must admit both my son and I had a good laught too: - the idea of a woman with two grown-up sons giving out Dating In The 21stCentury information is rather hilarious indeed!Applause
Tara2
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 1:48:24 PM

Romany wrote:

Tara -

Yes, the phrase "Context is king!" certainly applies in English. That's one of the reasons it's good to read standard, every-day English from sources like newspapers and magazines, too. Even the context of WHERE the source came from,(Like telling us it's from "Friends) already helps us enormously to know what KIND of English (standard, modern, American English) to expect to have to respond to. It all makes a difference.

sorry Romany. I'll provide in future. But I don't watch Friends any more. It's very difficult for me. I don't understand it.
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 2:02:24 PM

Tara - I'll let you into a little secret...I never watched it because the odd episodes I caught here and there were often pretty difficult for me to understand, too!
Tara2
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2019 3:06:08 PM

Romany wrote:

Tara - I'll let you into a little secret...I never watched it because the odd episodes I caught here and there were often pretty difficult for me to understand, too!

That's very kind of you, Romany. You are a great journalist and anything can't be difficult for you. Thank you so much!!!