The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Are the quotation marks correct? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:06:32 AM

Neurons: 23,169
"No one in their right mind will want to spend their entire life working till they lie six feet under. Given a choice, no elderly will want to collect cardboard boxes & deem it as “a form of exercise”. Given a choice, no elderly will enjoy clearing plates in the hawker centre “to stay active and engaged & to feel a sense of worth and purpose” “, he added.

Are all the quotation marks, especially those after "purpose" correct?

Many thanks.
sureshot
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:42:05 AM

Neurons: 413,954
Koh Elaine wrote:
"No one in their right mind will want to spend their entire life working till they lie six feet under. Given a choice, no elderly will want to collect cardboard boxes & deem it as “a form of exercise”. Given a choice, no elderly will enjoy clearing plates in the hawker centre “to stay active and engaged & to feel a sense of worth and purpose” “, he added.

Many thanks.

Quotations marks are used when we quote direct speech.

For quotations inside quotations, use single quotation marks inside double quotation marks. It is also possible to use double quotation marks inside single quotation marks. I prefer the former.

The last part should be "...worth and purpose,'"
WeaselADAPT
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 10:19:20 AM

Neurons: 16,842
Koh Elaine wrote:

Many thanks.

A couple of notes to start...

You've written "centre," which I recognize as British English (BE), and this is important because BE handles punctuation differently than does American English (AE). Namely, 1. AE puts punctuation inside closing quotation marks while BE leaves it outside, and 2. AE uses the double quotation mark first and the single quotation mark for nested quotes, and BE does the opppsite. https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/british-versus-american-style.html

With that said...

Yours:
"No one in their right mind will want to spend their entire life working till they lie six feet under. Given a choice, no elderly will want to collect cardboard boxes & deem it as "a form of exercise". Given a choice, no elderly will enjoy clearing plates in the hawker centre "to stay active and engaged & to feel a sense of worth and purpose" ", he added.

AE:
"No one in their right mind will want to spend their entire life working till they lie six feet under. Given a choice, no elderly will want to collect cardboard boxes & deem it as 'a form of exercise.' Given a choice, no elderly will enjoy clearing plates in the hawker centre 'to stay active and engaged & to feel a sense of worth and purpose,'" he added.

BE:
'No one in their right mind will want to spend their entire life working till they lie six feet under. Given a choice, no elderly will want to collect cardboard boxes & deem it as "a form of exercise". Given a choice, no elderly will enjoy clearing plates in the hawker centre "to stay active and engaged & to feel a sense of worth and purpose"', he added.

It looks like a lot of your quotation marks were correct from the BE perspective.

Also, I'm not sure if the space between the quotation marks after "purpose" was intentional or not, but you never (I should probably say, "I can't think of a time when you would...") leave spaces between punctuation.

the Weasel
WeaselWorks Freelance Editing
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 12:45:53 PM

Many thanks, Weasel, for your time and effort in replying to my question.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 1:23:43 PM

Neurons: 49,668
Weasel - as you must have missed it when explained previously: Koh lives in Singapore. So she speaks (and is learning to improve) BE.

Having said that, however, all speakers of Singaporean English believe they speak BE - but don't recognise that, as Aussies speak Australian English and Americans speak American English, Singaporean English has its own vocabulary and constructs.So Koh is often checking to see whether certain things written in the Singaporean press are Singaporean English or actual British English.
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:25:32 PM

Hi Romany,you are right that my emphasis is on BE. However. I am also keen on learning AM. This is so that I can know the differences between the them.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:50:17 AM

Koh - me too!

WeaselADAPT
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2019 6:36:46 PM

Koh Elaine wrote:
Many thanks, Weasel, for your time and effort in replying to my question.

You're quite welcome, Koh. I'm very happy to help. :)

Yes, I'm just a new kid here, Romany, so I'm sure I've missed a lot. While the context is appreciated, my response to her question would have been the same, regardless. I will answer as the questions come..., especially since others, even years later, could query these forums for reasons of their own.

As I see it, all you've really informed me of is that the very polite person who asks these insightful questions of us is a woman from Singapore – which, I might add, is welcomed information, after all.

the Weasel
Romany
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 3:03:11 PM

Jeez, I guess I should keep my big mouth shut! It would appear that you think I was telling you to back off or something? Anxious

It's because you are quite new, and talk with her often, that I thought it might help to know a bit about her. Also, of course, as this is a public forum, I thought that it might help other newer members too. There have been many times she's put something forward and been told that it was incorrect or sub-standard or whatever, because posters were responding with the speech patterns of their own dialect of English.

Yeah - Koh is a "perfect poster"! She's intrinsically polite, curious and really interested in the English language. We (well at least the female posters) tend to feel a wee bit protective about her. She, like all the other female posters here, has had to go through some rought times on TFD. But unlike the other three remaining regular female posters, (which includes me)she rarely speaks up on her own behalf - tho she stands up for those who get bullied. She's a sweetie.

As for me - well I'm voluble, loquacious and bi-polar, which means that there are times I'm even more voluble and loquaciousDrool

I wasn't having a go.

But no worries, will keep my chat to myself in future. Understand completely that not everyone approaches TFD (or life!) the same way I do.

'Ave a goodie - it's FridayDancing

WeaselADAPT
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2019 4:41:29 PM

Romany wrote:

Jeez, I guess I should keep my big mouth shut! It would appear that you think I was telling you to back off or something? Anxious

'Ave a goodie - it's FridayDancing

Really, it's all good, Romany. I apologize if my response was abrupt or rude.

For the record, I meant it when I said the context is appreciated. I was also just being honest when I said that my answer would not have been different even if I'd had the context earlier.

I just try to stay out of people's business and do my best to be helpful with whatever questions I find the time to answer.

As a disability rights advocate and activist, I can very easily identify with the protector role – and I applaud it. I do the same as often as I can.

So, seriously, I am happy to make your acquaintance ... both of you.

the Weasel