The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Order of adjectives Options
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:29:38 AM

Neurons: 2,755
Hello everyone!
Basically, I have three questions about the order of adjectives.

1. Could you, please, tell me which order is correct?

1️⃣ opinion
2️⃣ size
3️⃣ AGE
4️⃣ SHAPE
5️⃣ colour
6️⃣ origin
7️⃣ material
8️⃣ purpose

1️⃣ opinion
2️⃣ size
3️⃣ SHAPE
? CONDITION
4️⃣ AGE
5️⃣ colour
6️⃣ origin
7️⃣ material
8️⃣ purpose

2. Where should I put the word “dirty” because not all classifications include “condition” and I assume in this case it beings to “opinion”?

For example, dirty / old / silk tie
What is the correct order, in your opinion?

Thank you in advance!
sureshot
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:07:38 AM

Neurons: 410,329

Several variations are possible, but the usual order is:

Opinion (nice, wonderful, excellent, lovely, terrible etc) + Size (large, small, long, short, tall etc) + Quality (clear, busy, famous, important, quiet etc) + Age (old, new) + Shape (round, square, fat, thin, wide, narrow etc) + Colour (red, white, blue etc) + Particle forms (covered, furnished, broken, running, missing etc) + Origin (British, Russian, Indian, American etc) + Material (paper, brick,plastic, wooden etc) + Type (human, chemical,domestic, electronic,etc) + Purpose (alarm (clock), tennis (court), jungle (boots) etc)

In general, the adjective closest to the noun has the closest link in meaning with the noun and expresses what is most permanent about it.

The order of adjectives is not absolute. We sometimes prefer to put a short adjective before a long one as in "a big horrible mistake".

You are right in classifying "dirty" as opinion. It may be dirty for you, but not so for another person! The order "dirty old silk tie" is correct.

FX2
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:14:21 AM

Neurons: 130,125
Think

Teachers and fellow enthusiasts, I am not very sure if this argument is valid in any shape or form, but my ex-teacher said that it is not relevant to learn the rules of the order of adjectives since we do not use this in real life. And continue saying that in real life we should learn what it's usable on our daily basis.

Do you use the order of adjectives in real life or it is just something we should learn no matter what?

Personally, I didn't like this topic because it is too much information to remember.

Regards,
Boo hoo!
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:00:34 AM

Neurons: 808,705
We most certainly do use this information "in real life".
sureshot
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:51:55 AM

Neurons: 410,329
FX2 wrote:
Think

Teachers and fellow enthusiasts, I am not very sure if this argument is valid in any shape or form, but my ex-teacher said that it is not relevant to learn the rules of the order of adjectives since we do not use this in real life. And continue saying that in real life we should learn what it's usable on our daily basis.

Do you use the order of adjectives in real life or it is just something we should learn no matter what?

Personally, I didn't like this topic because it is too much information to remember.

Regards,
Boo hoo!

The order of adjectives is relevant. However, it comes naturally after a little practice. It needs to be noted that the order of adjectives is not absolute.