The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Sorry to say, but... Options
rnjb
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2019 10:50:20 PM

Neurons: 30
Shame on you This is undoubtedly THE WORST, most user UNfriendly web site I have ever had the misfortune of stumbling upon. And believe me I've seen my share. The only reason I registered was to have access to write this.Brick wall

All I wanted was a simple definition which had escaped me momentarily. Your site forces a new user to jump through all kinds of unnecessary hoops to accomplish the smallest task. I was to the point of pulling my hair out.d'oh!

Don't jump to conclusions and assume I'm incompetent, or I lack problem solving or critical thinking skills. I'm college educated through a California University, most jobs I've held required thorough and accurate analysis, adeptness at identifying and determining complex and usually hidden issues, and ultimately finding applicable solutions. I've always learned fast, had above average ability to problem solve, retention rate better than most and a keen mind with a strong attention to detail.

Problem here is your site sucks for a new user.Anxious

Most people would not have taken the effort or patience needed to teach themselves how to navigate such a complicated site when all they were looking for was a simple antonym or definition. Most would have given up almost immediately.Speak to the hand

How on Earth did you ever get people to stick around long enough to become members? That's a rhetorical question because I'm still here.Eh?

But just what were you trying to prove making things so complicated and who in the hell is your web Master anyway? He must have one screwy, sick sense of humor.Liar
TFD
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2019 9:51:03 AM

Hello, thanks for being honest. The easiest way to find a definition is to search for the word using the search bar that appears at the top of every page.

Can you provide a few more details about what went wrong when you tried to find what you were looking for?
L.Rai
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 12:33:31 AM

Neurons: 1,335,432
Dear Rnjb:

okay I will bite, I too was educated by the University of CA system and while I am a very "smart" person I sometimes can struggle to understand the "logic" with some websites. However this has never been one of them. On occasion points have been off or not work but the site doesn't take a PhD to navigate. Also I fail to understand why you had to sign up to use it. I have never had that issue. I can use the site easily even when I do not log-in so if all you wanted was to look up a word that would be very easy to do...put the word into the space provided and hit search. You can then look up that word in various ways including all the -onyms. I think if you provide more details to the moderators they will be able to help you..I have found them most helpful for most questions.

I hope you will not be deterred and try again. Maybe your computer was just having a "bad" day...

LRai

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, March 30, 2019 2:44:24 AM

Neurons: 204,925
I agree.
To find a definition which had 'momentarily escaped you', simply open the home page (no need to register) then type your word into the search box and press <enter>.
You have a choice of two American dictionaries, one English one and a translating dictionary, plus one or two thesauruses (Thesauri?).

They're all on one page - no more navigation needed, just scroll.
I taught myself to use a computer - when I was at University, computers were room-sized and limited to institutions.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Wudgellette
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 8:21:16 PM

Neurons: 1,983
This site and the app are amazing!
etrusca
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 9:54:50 AM

Neurons: 74,143
I think rnjb is kidding
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 5:10:25 PM

Neurons: 527,775
I think rnjb is the only one of about 95,000 members to find any difficulty with this site.

I remember, therefore I am.
RSoul
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 12:25:05 PM

Neurons: 557
I thought it was because this site's server ran Vista.

Ubuntu isn't Swahili for 'can't install Debian'.