The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Soul Defining Music Options
zhonglc2020
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:01:45 AM

Neurons: 733
Hello everyone,

Jan 12, 2019 - Eventbrite - Jazz N Soul Music presents Band Definition: A Electric Night of Live Soul Defining Music hosted by DJ Stacey Blackman - Saturday, ...
source: from google

What does "Soul Defining Music" mean?
Or what is the alternative for "defining" here?

Many many thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:13:20 AM

Neurons: 60,592
zhonglc2020 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Jan 12, 2019 - Eventbrite - Jazz N Soul Music presents Band Definition: A Electric Night of Live Soul Defining Music hosted by DJ Stacey Blackman - Saturday, ...
source: from google

What does "Soul Defining Music" mean? This is exaggeration and hyperbole used in advertising meant to impress you with the idea that this is something special. "Soul Defining Music" would be music that represents what you feel, or believe, is your soul.

Or what is the alternative for "defining" here? Some synonyms might be: epitomizes, corresponds, personifies, or embodies your idea of your soul.

Many many thanks.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:16:05 AM

Neurons: 907,667
In my opinion, it is "marketing hype" language. It's overly-dramatic language designed to sound, well, soulful, I suppose.
zhonglc2020
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 11:24:37 AM

Thank you.
I found a definition of "defining" (important) in The free dictionary before posting this thread.I feel this definition lacks a savor.

It seems we don't have a similar expression in Chinese.
Romany
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 6:58:29 AM

Neurons: 50,816
Well we don't have this expression in English, either.

As both Foundit and Wilmar pointed out: this is hyperbole, hype, advertising burble.

Advertising is propaganda.It doesn't need to be true or even make sense. It is written to imprint certain words or images in your mind. The genre here is Soul Music. The repetition of "soul" imprints that in our mind. "Defining" brings thoughts of something being definitive i.e. the best. It provides a model for all Soul Music. It's the peak to which all Soul Music aspires.

They're trying to claim that this is the best kind of Soul music ever. They don't say this (because it's probably far from the truth. They're probably a pretty generic band: but you don't lure audiences by saying "This is pretty ordinary music". So you use hype: throw in words which give the impression that they're the top of their genre.

Plus, if audience members are unsatisfied, they can't say "I want my money back.You said these guys were the best." because that was never said. If your "soul" wasn't "defined" by this music then that's just tough: it means you haven't got a soul. Why should we give you your money back!!
Romany
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 6:58:33 AM

Neurons: 50,816
Well we don't have this expression in English, either.

As both Foundit and Wilmar pointed out: this is hyperbole, hype, advertising burble.

Advertising is propaganda.It doesn't need to be true or even make sense. It is written to imprint certain words or images in your mind. The genre here is Soul Music. The repetition of "soul" imprints that in our mind. "Defining" brings thoughts of something being definitive i.e. the best. It provides a model for all Soul Music. It's the peak to which all Soul Music aspires.

They're trying to claim that this is the best kind of Soul music ever. They don't say this (because it's probably far from the truth. They're probably a pretty generic band: but you don't lure audiences by saying "This is pretty ordinary music". So you use hype: throw in words which give the impression that they're the top of their genre.

Plus, if audience members are unsatisfied, they can't say "I want my money back.You said these guys were the best." because that was never said. If your "soul" wasn't "defined" by this music then that's just tough: it means you haven't got a soul. Why should we give you your money back!!
thar
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 9:20:19 AM

Neurons: 84,242
Also I assume the mean soul-defining music, but don't know how to express that with punctuation.

But I agree, it is just babble. Don't pay it any attention.
zhonglc2020
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 11:10:17 AM

Thank you.