The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A price Americans are willing to pay Options
towan52
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 10:16:22 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/28/2012
Posts: 1,914
Neurons: 219,108
Location: Waco, Texas, United States
VENT WARNING!!

Two more indiscriminate shootings in the US this weekend just passed, and the same meaningless arguments as to why Americans should keep their phallic-enhancers should shortly appear. The constitution says we can bear arms and that hate speech is part and parcel of free speech. “Free” is a strange word because nothing is really free, and somebody has to pay the price – in this case, shoppers and folks on a night out!

There was something grotesque about the president tweeting that “… Hate Has No Place In Our Country …” – this from the highest ranked purveyor of hatred to ever occupy the White House.

The NRA will keep a low profile for a couple of weeks. Politicians that are unwise enough to suggest gun-control or more stringent background-checks will be reminded of where their additional income and support originates. It will also be hinted at what NRA opposition to their future might mean.

How is it that the prime minister of New Zealand has more courage and integrity than all the politicians in this God-forsaken country combined? One mass-shooting; most semiautomatic weapons banned!

Gun rights campaigners very clearly don’t care about the casualties from school, shopping mall, concert venue shootings (particularly if the victims are Hispanic, black or foreign); just as long as they can keep their assault rifles and high-capacity magazines (and wear their robes, of course).

Send towan back, send towan back!


Voldermort for Trump 2020
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 10:33:53 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/4/2015
Posts: 3,346
Neurons: 907,667
Location: Vinton, Iowa, United States
So your position is that the NRA encourages mentally-ill people to shoot others, right? That's some really deep thinking!

TRUMP 2020!

I hope that doesn't "trigger" you! Perhaps some of your friends will give you a round of jazz-hands!

OBTW, your post "offends" me!
towan52
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 10:45:39 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/28/2012
Posts: 1,914
Neurons: 219,108
Location: Waco, Texas, United States
Glad it offends you, the truth often does that - remarkable diagnosis of mental-health from afar or was that a referral from Trump?

Voldermort for Trump 2020
BobShilling
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 11:36:08 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2018
Posts: 1,420
Neurons: 7,616
Location: Beroun, Stredocesky, Czech Republic
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
So your position is that the NRA encourages mentally-ill people to shoot others, right?

A nice FD-like twist. Town did not claim that.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2019 11:52:22 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,192
Neurons: 60,573
Yes, freedom isn’t free. Like everything in life, there is a positive and negative side to it.

One of the positive things about freedom is the ability to say what you think, to speak your mind and offer opinions, to vent, on the things you experience and observe in life, whether those opinions be wise or foolish. Not everyone on the planet gets to enjoy that kind of freedom. It seems a shame to me that folks who do get to enjoy such freedom of speech use it to denigrate the very privileges freedom provides.

One of the negative things about freedom is that we have to be subjected to some of those opinions. But, as I said, freedom has both positive and negative aspects. And a negative from the viewpoint of some is that I also get to “vent”.

Btw, BobShilling, does completely and falsely misrepresenting the First Amendment to the Constitution serve as evidence in my list under:

“they hate the Constitution;”? (if they loved it, wouldn’t they quote it accurately?)

Does calling the country “God-forsaken” count as evidence in my list under my last point:

“Apparently, even the very existence of the country annoys them?” (If they loved it, wouldn’t they praise it for the freedoms it provides?)

You probably won’t accept that as evidence, so I won't be surprised if you verify that. But it makes me wonder why anyone who has such disdain for the country would choose to live here. Apparently, they aren’t brave enough to do such complaining in a country that doesn’t permit it. Listen, as the cowardly lions from The Wizard of Oz roar (meow).


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Absinthius
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 5:00:52 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/23/2015
Posts: 382
Neurons: 25,222
Location: Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
You'd think they would run out of Cool Aid at some point, but somehow they seem to always find more to drink...

If 'freedom' means that a government just has to do nothing to reduce the likelyhood of citizens getting shot on your day out, then our definitions of the word differ quite a lot. And I want none of your brand of 'freedom'. I prefer the kind we have in the developed West, the kind where I can feel safe!

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 5:11:21 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2018
Posts: 1,420
Neurons: 7,616
Location: Beroun, Stredocesky, Czech Republic
FounDit wrote:


Btw, BobShilling, does completely and falsely misrepresenting the First Amendment to the Constitution serve as evidence in my list under:

“they hate the Constitution;”? (if they loved it, wouldn’t they quote it accurately?)
Does calling the country “God-forsaken” count as evidence in my list under my last point:

“Apparently, even the very existence of the country annoys them?” (If they loved it, wouldn’t they praise it for the freedoms it provides?)

You probably won’t accept that as evidence, so I won't be surprised if you verify that.


I think you're in the wrong thread. All I have said here is "A nice FD-like twist. Town did not claim that."
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 5:51:13 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 1,088
Neurons: 596,163
Location: Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
FounDit wrote:


Btw, BobShilling, does completely and falsely misrepresenting the First Amendment to the Constitution serve as evidence in my list under:

“they hate the Constitution;”? (if they loved it, wouldn’t they quote it accurately?)
Does calling the country “God-forsaken” count as evidence in my list under my last point:

“Apparently, even the very existence of the country annoys them?” (If they loved it, wouldn’t they praise it for the freedoms it provides?)

You probably won’t accept that as evidence, so I won't be surprised if you verify that.


So you're basing your analysis of the entire democratic party on the posts of one person on a language subforum? That's your evidence? Moreover, your evidence is grounded entirely on subjective concepts like love and annoyance.

... No, I don't think anyone would accept that as evidence.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:06:16 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,192
Neurons: 60,573
Absinthius wrote:
You'd think they would run out of Cool Aid at some point, but somehow they seem to always find more to drink...

If 'freedom' means that a government just has to do nothing to reduce the likelyhood of citizens getting shot on your day out, then our definitions of the word differ quite a lot. And I want none of your brand of 'freedom'. I prefer the kind we have in the developed West, the kind where I can feel safe!


Well, no, that's not the definition of freedom. And since you are unfamiliar with what freedom actually means, I'm glad you are happy living where you are. Stay safe.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:18:26 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
There are seven meanings listed for freedom in TFD.

I think some Americans believe it is meaning 1.b : The condition of being free of restraints, especially the ability to act without control or interference by another or by circumstance.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 3:41:11 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,192
Neurons: 60,573
Hope123 wrote:
There are seven meanings listed for freedom in TFD.

I think some Americans believe it is meaning 1.b : The condition of being free of restraints, especially the ability to act without control or interference by another or by circumstance.


Yep. Sounds exactly like Antifa and Progressive Democrats.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
towan52
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 4:58:13 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/28/2012
Posts: 1,914
Neurons: 219,108
Location: Waco, Texas, United States
Could I be mistaken, or is the Parser back amongst us?

Voldermort for Trump 2020
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 6:32:31 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2018
Posts: 1,420
Neurons: 7,616
Location: Beroun, Stredocesky, Czech Republic
towan52 wrote:
Could I be mistaken, or is the Parser back amongst us?


If you are suggesting that FD is James (TheParser), I think you are wrong.

James and FD co-existed for some time. I seem to recall that FD was one of James's (tiny) group of defenders/supporters, but they were clearly separate beings. Apart from anything else, FD's posts in the language forums are often helpful and informed; James's were frequently unctuously pompous. FD has a scattergun approach to those who have political opinions to the left of his (about 90% of the population); James was more concerned with being very negative about African-Americans and being very condescending about women.

They were (In FD's case are) supporters of Trump, and both had/have a complete disregard for evidence to support their sometimes ludicrous claims, but they expressed themselves in different ways.
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 10:54:36 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
FounDit wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
There are seven meanings listed for freedom in TFD.

I think some Americans believe it is meaning 1.b : The condition of being free of restraints, especially the ability to act without control or interference by another or by circumstance.


Yep. Sounds exactly like Antifa and Progressive Democrats.


Applause Applause Applause

But I'm pretty sure you are not a Democrat, FD. Don't know if you might be Antifa. Whistle

Nope. Not Parser. Not even close. Just the same politics. I think Towan meant in spirit.



The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Absinthius
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 11:02:11 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/23/2015
Posts: 382
Neurons: 25,222
Location: Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands
FounDit wrote:
Absinthius wrote:
You'd think they would run out of Cool Aid at some point, but somehow they seem to always find more to drink...

If 'freedom' means that a government just has to do nothing to reduce the likelyhood of citizens getting shot on your day out, then our definitions of the word differ quite a lot. And I want none of your brand of 'freedom'. I prefer the kind we have in the developed West, the kind where I can feel safe!


Well, no, that's not the definition of freedom. And since you are unfamiliar with what freedom actually means, I'm glad you are happy living where you are. Stay safe.


A cute little clapback, but obnoxiously inappropriate considering the gravity of the topic. Lives are lost and you seem hell-bent on preserving liberties that will ensure a repeat of this kind of tragedy. Over and over and over again.

It is painfully clear to most of the world that America only looks good to Americans. To the rest of the developed West, your 'freedom' and 'American dream' have been a joke for decades. Now it is becoming an increasingly sad joke.

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 11:45:42 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,192
Neurons: 60,573
Absinthius wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Absinthius wrote:
You'd think they would run out of Cool Aid at some point, but somehow they seem to always find more to drink...

If 'freedom' means that a government just has to do nothing to reduce the likelyhood of citizens getting shot on your day out, then our definitions of the word differ quite a lot. And I want none of your brand of 'freedom'. I prefer the kind we have in the developed West, the kind where I can feel safe!


Well, no, that's not the definition of freedom. And since you are unfamiliar with what freedom actually means, I'm glad you are happy living where you are. Stay safe.


A cute little clapback, but obnoxiously inappropriate considering the gravity of the topic. Lives are lost and you seem hell-bent on preserving liberties that will ensure a repeat of this kind of tragedy. Over and over and over again.

It is painfully clear to most of the world that America only looks good to Americans. To the rest of the developed West, your 'freedom' and 'American dream' have been a joke for decades. Now it is becoming an increasingly sad joke.


Okay. Isn't freedom wonderful? We both get to say what we think...Applause Applause Applause

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:27:23 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
"The most certain test by which we can judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities." John Dahlberg-Acton 1834-1902 English historian.

That quote is even more apropos today.

FD, Might be a good idea if you stopped gloating about freedom in the US according to this definition. It's reputation became untarnished for a while but needs polishing again. May take years after this period where the ploughing of rocks allowed the prejudiced vermin to crawl out again after they were buried for a while.

Also, you need to add that you both may get to say what you think but you both have to suffer the consequences. That is why people often decide to be circumspect.





The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 5:46:43 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,192
Neurons: 60,573
Hope123 wrote:
"The most certain test by which we can judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities." John Dahlberg-Acton 1834-1902 English historian.

That quote is even more apropos today.

FD, Might be a good idea if you stopped gloating about freedom in the US according to this definition. Well, this definition is a hundred years out of date and no longer applies. But I will continue to advocate for freedom, not just for me and my fellow Americans, but for all people all over the Earth.


It's reputation became untarnished for a while but needs polishing again. May take years after this period where the ploughing of rocks allowed the prejudiced vermin to crawl out again after they were buried for a while.
It was tarnished for a while but was polished to a fine shine in the 1960's, until the Progressives took it over. The result is what we see today, and it became corrupted long before Trump.

Also, you need to add that you both may get to say what you think but you both have to suffer the consequences. That is why people often decide to be circumspect.
Right. Preaching and advocating for freedom does have consequences, often helping to establish it. But so does it's opposite, destroying property, attacking the police, demonizing our leaders and misrepresenting what they say and stand for. Those consequences will shortly become more clear, I think.





We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.