The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Netflix’s Documentary "The Great Hack" Is a Warning About Your Data" Options
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 4:15:11 PM

Neurons: 51,153
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-netflixs-the-great-hack-is-the-great-warning-about-your-data/

FYI - "Netflix’s The Great Hack is the great warning about your data"

Well worth reading or watching the documentary if you get a chance. Most of us don't give a second thought to agreeing to terms and conditions online, usually without reading. If you want their service, that is the only way to get it. You get a free service but you are the product. For what they use your data that they glean is another story.

"The warning is about how deeply precious your data is. Only a fool would be unaware that the data we give up while shopping or browsing online, or to Facebook and Twitter, is used to sell us things. But it would be ultra-foolish to be unaware how personal data is hoarded and then used to remake and remodel the political landscape."
L.Rai
Posted: Sunday, July 28, 2019 6:01:23 PM

Neurons: 1,417,272
Hope:

Thanks for the tip...I am always telling my teachers and students that "social" media is NOT your friend. I do not have any social media accounts and I don't even own what my students call a "real" phone. They laugh because I use a "burner" phone but I laugh back because I can't be tracked and they can't say the same thing.

I live in a place where everything you do is "watched" and so social media here isn't a good idea, but then social media in general isn't a good idea. What happened to having privacy? Why must we proclaim everything we do to everyone on the planet? Trust me no one really cares what you had for lunch...what happened to just living your life and being happy with it without having to get people you don't know to care about things that are actually very boring??? I guess I am just old fashioned and I must be missing the point of it.

Thanks for the post...I will try to find it but I have a feeling it won't be easy here.

LR
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, August 1, 2019 10:27:38 AM

Neurons: 1,181,908
L.Rai wrote:
Thanks for the tip...I am always telling my teachers and students that "social" media is NOT your friend. I do not have any social media accounts...

I live in a place where everything you do is "watched" and so social media here isn't a good idea, but then social media in general isn't a good idea.

What is this site? TFD tracks everything you do.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, August 1, 2019 1:45:09 PM

Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
L.Rai wrote:
Thanks for the tip...I am always telling my teachers and students that "social" media is NOT your friend. I do not have any social media accounts...

I live in a place where everything you do is "watched" and so social media here isn't a good idea, but then social media in general isn't a good idea.

Yes, I'm sure they do.

But the only personal info they have is city and email address, unless you freely give them more.

BTW - Does anybody even read the ads as they scroll between posts? I don't.

I just read that everybody somewhere somehow has had their data compromised and they didn't know it.

Capital One credit cards are the latest victims of hackers. Millions of users in US and Canada.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, August 1, 2019 11:49:36 PM

Hope123 wrote:
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
L.Rai wrote:

Yes, I'm sure they do.

From the puzzles and word games you solve, they also learn how you think.

Hope123 wrote:
But the only personal info they have is city and email address, unless you freely give them more.

It was a surprise to see how much info L.Rai had put into their profile especially considering their statements about online privacy.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2019 4:37:56 AM

Hope123 wrote:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-netflixs-the-great-hack-is-the-great-warning-about-your-data/

Another good documentary to watch is "The Human Face of Big Data."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9D-v6r3NJQ
Hope123
Posted: Friday, August 2, 2019 11:13:56 AM

Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Hope123 wrote:

Another good documentary to watch is "The Human Face of Big Data."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9D-v6r3NJQ

After your comment I debated about removing what I listed on TFD profile but I don't care if they know I'm female and what my hobbies are. There is nothing on L Rai's profile now as I just checked after your comment.

Thanks for the info. It does get more like Big Brother all the time, but not so much from government but from Big Money (50 American companies in the world), Big Oil, and the five big tech companies - FAAMG