mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Meanwhile in Finland Options
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 10:19:32 AM

Neurons: 50,260
JJ. Good one.

Applause Applause Applause

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2019 6:35:13 AM

Neurons: 506,178
Finns can be sarcastic sometimes, Hope ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2019 10:17:04 AM

Meanwhile in Canada.

This is funny - but good funny.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5009788/no-thefts-reported-after-kingston-grocery-store-accidentally-left-open-family-day/?utm_source=%40globalnews&utm

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 7:18:39 AM

Tweet tweet, Nikki Haley!

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/03/nikki-haley-doesnt-know-jack-former-ambassador-ruthlessly-mocked-trashing-finland/

thar
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 8:15:01 AM

Neurons: 81,057
I hope this isn't threadjacking:

You know you live in a Nordic country when there is a report about a demonstration outside parliament, and it includes the line 'the police were called'.

News from the Nordics:

Quote:

Protesters arrested at Alþingi
ICELAND

By Anita Rienstra 4:48 pm March 20, 2019
Protesters from the No Borders pressure group held a protest outside Alþingi yesterday. In this protest they attempted to stop people entering the building including staff, MPs and visitors. Police were called who arrested some of the protesters.

Helgi Bernódusson, estates manager, claimed the protesters formed at each of the entrances including the car park and also that anyone who wanted to enter the building still managed to do so.

Following the arrests, protesters followed to the main police station near Hlemmur to protest for the release of the arrested party.

(The Parliament building is the grey one on the right.)

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 7:49:34 AM

Some drama in Iceland - who would have known ;-)

Finland was declared to be the world's happiest nation, again:

thar
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2019 9:56:31 AM

Not that much drama, thankfully.
But I do love the idea that if something like that happens you have to call the police - because there is not a permanent police presence outside parliament. Why would you need one! And no secret service monitoring their facebook page to see when the demonstration would take place! Whistle

But the Eurovision entry is causing a bit of a stir!
All the other candidate songs for the Icelandic entry were absolutely terrible (boring, generic, blah) so I hoped this one could get picked simply because it has some character and individuality, even if I don't actually like the song.
But now it is getting all controversial. Whistle

Quote:
Eurovision: Iceland embraces Hatari's bleak message for Israel contest
By Anna Margret Bjornsson
BBC News, Reykjavik

Icelanders are crazy about Eurovision, with its kitsch glamour and often saccharine music.

But the band-cum-art collective they have chosen to send to the contest in Tel Aviv in May are a far cry from the mainstream world of pop and its lyrics of love and unity.

Called Hatari in Icelandic, meaning "Hater", their lyrics are bleak:

Hate will prevail... and Europe’s heart impale. Burn off its web of lies. Now from the conflagration... rise in unity

Striding on stage in Reykjavik in masks and spikes, they won Iceland's national Eurovision contest singing a message of anti-capitalism.

Icelanders young and old loved this self-proclaimed "techno-dystopian" band, with singer Matthias Tryggvi Haraldsson belting out lyrics as dancers gyrated around the blood-red stage.

"Our feelings are of overwhelming respect towards this project for which our nation has selected us. It brings us one step nearer to our plan, to destroy capitalism," he declared on national TV after their overwhelming victory.

Targeting Israel
Hatari don't just preach anti-capitalism.

They claim their entry in the competition is a political statement against Israel's government, even though the song has no reference to Israel. The contest is being held in Tel Aviv because Israel's Netta Barzilai won it last year.

When I meet Hatari, they are warm, polite and well-spoken - and, in contrast to their stage look, wearing blue shell-suits emblazoned with the logo of a fictitious soft-drink company called SodaDream.

Despite having its own website, there is no such soft drink in Iceland. This turns out to be a sarcastic reference to Israel-based company SodaStream, which was bought last year by PepsiCo.

Equally bizarrely, the band are openly challenging Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to an Icelandic wrestling match in the centre of Tel Aviv.

They are bitterly critical of Israel's policies towards the Palestinians and say it is absurd to allow the country to take part in the contest.

Critics question why Hatari agreed to perform in Eurovision at all and argue their message of hate does little for Palestinians.

Some Icelanders believe Iceland's public broadcaster should have boycotted the event.

"The criticism is understandable and we are glad to see a serious discussion about the politics of the competition take place," Matthias says.

Who are Hatari?
Hatari's members should know a thing or two about diplomacy.

Einar Hrafn Stefansson, the drummer in the spiky leather mask is the son of Iceland's ambassador in London who was part of the negotiating committee when Iceland applied for European Union membership.
Klemens Hannigan is the son of Nikulas Hannigan, who is head of division in the trade office at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Singer Matthias Tryggvi Haraldsson's father owns a legal firm in Iceland
Founded by Hannigan and Haraldsson, Hatari burst on to the underground music scene in 2015. Joined by a team of talented dancers and choreographers as well as artists and a graphic designer, they describe themselves as "a multimedia performance collective".

Asked what their song is all about, they said "Hatred Prevails is in our view, a dystopia, a reflection on power and the powerless, hope and hopelessness.

"It is a dark vision of the future, a warning against what we see as a possible reality if we don't love one another. Populism is on the rise in Europe."

source https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-47536433

Russia is tipped as favourite, and this entry is not expected to overturn that, but it would be cool to stuff one to the Russian propaganda machine Russia, given their government's recent activities. Whistle

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:35:14 AM

Thar,

have you seen this in Iceland?

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2019 6:40:26 AM

If you want to learn Finnish ;-)

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2019 11:40:25 PM

JJ, did I get this pic from you and if so what is it? I thought it was a gorgeous pic and saved it.

thar
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 12:24:05 PM

I don't know if you got it from JJ, but if I may answer, that is a sculpture in Reykjavík. Sólfar - the Sun Voyager.

but conceived in Finland

by sculptor Jón Gunnar Árnason

Quote:
In an interview published in the newspaper Þjóðviljinn on 11 June 1987, Jón Gunnar describes the genesis of the work as being part of the Scandinavian art project, Experimental Environment, which conducted various artistic experiments in Iceland, Denmark and other places in the 1980s.

In May 1985, a group of artists, members of the Scandinavian art project, Experimental Environment, gathered to take part in the Saari-Vala Environmental Art Action in Bockholm, Finland. There I experienced a sense of the history of the origins of Icelanders, something which is also related in the present exhibition at the Nordic House in Reykjavík.

I had an uncanny feeling that I had been on this island before, when travelling on my way from Mongolia to Iceland, hundreds of years ago.

As you know, there have been speculations that the Icelanders as a race originated in Mongolia. I have discovered the history of their migration to Iceland, which runs as follows: Many centuries ago, a mighty warlord, let’s say it was Alexander the Great, was living in the centre of the known world. He dispatched his bravest and most experienced warriors, along with some women, scribes and other followers, on an exploratory expedition to the cardinal directions, the north, west, south, and east, in order to discover and conquer new, unknown territories. Those who headed east followed the rising sun until they reached the steppes of Mongolia. There they settled down and lived in comfort. Those scribes who accompanied the warriors were expected to document the expedition for the king. Several centuries later, when the documents written by the scribes eventually came to be examined, the people discovered that they had another fatherland in the west. They therefore decided to gather together their belongings and head back west towards the setting sun. We followed the sun for days and years, walking, riding and sailing. We enriched our experience and our determination grew in strength as our journey progressed, and we recorded everything that we saw and experienced. I remember endless pine forests, mountains and waterfalls, lakes, islands, rivers and seas before we eventually reached the ocean. We then constructed huge ships and sailed on westwards towards the setting sun.

As a result of this vivid experience of my participation in this expedition while on the island of Bockholm in the Finnish archipelago, I carved a picture of a sun ship into a granite rock by the sea. The sun ship symbolizes the promise of new, undiscovered territory. It is also being exhibited here at the Nordic House, made of aluminium.

Strange but true.
Any mushrooms on Bockholm?Whistle

Hope123
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 3:08:00 PM

Wow! Thanks for all that info Thar. It is so beautiful. Your photo is even better. I shall keep that one too.

thar
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 12:48:11 AM

Yeah, you have to admit it does make for some good photos - although mostly as an excuse to photograph the sky. Whistle
some of the nicest photos are too big to link to here.
But - not to lessen the impact with overuse -

hope none of these are too big

although actually, although it is a dream ship and most people think it is a viking ship, I think it is a scorpion saluting the sun, or a whale skeleton. Whistle

But from the right angle, definitely a ship

thar
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:51:58 AM

I know what it reminds me of

the Hallucigenia fossils from the Burgess Shale in Canada

(reconstruction, obviously. This after they decided they originally had it the wrong way up, and those are spines or something, not legs)
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, June 12, 2019 4:21:09 PM

Muchas gracias, Sēnor Thar.

I was going to post more pix of the Canadian fossils - some are really weird - but ones I found are copyrighted. Very interesting.

The pix of sky, mountains, boat - all gorgeous.

I think I have mentioned before that I had my DNA done - no surprises - Scandinavian 7%, Southern England, Ireland/Scotland/Wales, and Western Europe. With Dupytrens Contracture in both hands I supposedly came from some Viking stock somewhere and my maternal side came from Lincoln so my DNA supported that theory. (My Dad's side came from Marylebone.) Maybe that is why I was attracted to the ship. Whistle Whistle

I have been feeling a wee bit depressed lately seeing these pix, watching Rick Steve's travel shows, especially the Symphony one, knowing that my only bucket list entry to tour England, Ireland, Scotland, Austria, and Switzerland can never be filled now. I would also have liked to go to Scandinavia, Belgium (visit Lotje) and Holland. Portugal and Spain would be fun too. River and Mediterranean cruises as well.

Realizing that there are many things you'll never do or be - be a musician, study the genome, be an Olympic swimmer, be an expert at anything, change jobs, move, make certain decisions, go see this famous ship sculpture, and travel - is one of the hardest parts of getting old.

So young folks - enjoy life NOW! Smell those roses.

Lotje1000
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:23:28 AM

Neurons: 563,646
Hope123 wrote:
I have been feeling a wee bit depressed lately seeing these pix, watching Rick Steve's travel shows, especially the Symphony one, knowing that my only bucket list entry to tour England, Ireland, Scotland, Austria, and Switzerland can never be filled now. I would also have liked to go to Scandinavia, Belgium (visit Lotje) and Holland. Portugal and Spain would be fun too. River and Mediterranean cruises as well.

If it can still be arranged somehow, you're always welcome! And if that doesn't work, there's ways for those places to come to you instead.

It's easy to get lost in melancholy about things you might never do or see, and lose sight of the person that you are with the amazing experiences you've had so far. I think we all struggle with that at some point or another.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:20:52 AM

Neurons: 516,468
Hope123 wrote:
JJ, did I get this pic from you and if so what is it? I thought it was a gorgeous pic and saved it.

It's a toast rack! My granny had one.

I remember, therefore I am.
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, June 13, 2019 3:47:32 PM

Hi Lotje and JCB!

A toaster rack, JCB?

Lotje, even with the qualifiers "a bit", perhaps the word "depressed" was a little strong. It is more of a nostalgia and a yearning to not accept the inevitable that every person realizes as they get to a certain age. And a message to all those who are younger who think they'll do "it" tomorrow, whatever "it" is. The old song "It's later than you think" comes to mind.

You are right - many amazing experiences! We lived in beautiful Vancouver, BC, for three years in the seventies. We had 27 years of travel after my husband retired and we always chose to go away to warmth for the winter months so did not make it to Europe or the Islands for shorter vacations.

Most of it was in Florida both east and west coasts but we spent about a year all told in Cancun and Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico, two months in Hawaii, and 6 months in Victoria BC one winter. We owned a home and a golf cart in FL. We built a beautiful home on a northern island in Muskoka, Ontario for 6 month summers for over ten years. Owned two boats there. Water, rocks, and trees!

Those are the choices we made and I really have no complaints, in fact was very lucky to do all that on working class salaries and in spite of necessary medical treatments I needed over the years that were not doctor/hospital and thus not covered.

Now we are mostly content to go shopping and for lunch with our granddaughters, who live just 20 minutes away, as we did last weekend and we are invited to their parent's home for the day this coming weekend.

And I probably see more of Europe watching Rick Steves and looking at Thar's pix than I would be able to cram in in a couple of weeks. So I tell myself anyhow. Whistle

Do any of you wish you could come see Canada if you haven't already, but know it is unlikely?

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 2:45:09 AM

Yeah, Hope - a Toast Rack. [I am in my eighties now and still can't post a link or a picture!] You must have toast racks in Canada - in fact I know you have because my sister-in-law has one. [My brother Bill died last February in Richmond Hill ON in his 99th year. Warrant Officer William Price DFC, RAF, RCAF]. A long and happy life, especially his 25 years in Canada. Bill is commemorated with a plaque in the Canadian War Planes Museum in Ontario.

But back to toast racks. They come in all shapes and sizes and usually hold 6 or 8 slices of toast standing upright and cooling while you eat your sausages Now I will be surprised if some Tableware Manufacturer doesn't produce and market a toast rack after the style of jj's Viking ship! It would be a sell-out in Scandinavia, I am sure. And in my home town of Largs which was a client state of the Vikings until 1263 when the Scottish Army kicked them out. But we still have Streets named after Viking leaders. We stopped them in the Clyde Estuary. With ships like jj's they couldn't keep the water out and sank in no time.

Enough about toast racks and Vikings. How are you, Hope? Reading your current post I am amazed at how much you and your husband have put into life. It is hard to imagine that you did all that on working-class salaries. But inevitably we have to slow down and our bodies can't do all the travelling we once did. But we can still use our brains for the benefit of others and you have done that wonderfully well. I hope you will continue to do so. The Forum needs you and folks like you.

Bye for now

JCB

Hope123
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2019 10:52:50 AM

Thanks for the kind words, JCB.

Even though your brother had an exceptionally long and happy life, you are still missing him. There is a war planes museum in Hamilton near where I live so perhaps that is where his plaque is. I've never seen a toast rack. We like the toast hot. :)

Exactly - the mind is willing but the body is tired. Just the thoughts of airports is enough to make me decide to stay home. Our last trip the wind caused a bumpy ride for four hours and the luggage came on a separate plane. Two days later my husband taxied back to the airport to find it. It was sitting there as nobody had turned the Maple Leaf tag over to see the address or checked their lists with the address we had given upon arrival. Then on the way home the airline's' computers went down. We spent 12 hours in the airport only to be told at midnight as we lined up to board that there was a malfunction and the flight was cancelled. We were then bused to a motel where we unfortunately got the last room that was in the children's section and I wandered the halls all night trying to breathe air that didn't reek of disinfectant. We finally got home two days later. I know this was unusual, but I also had food allergy problems while away as even though our accommodation had a kitchen, I still had to eat out a bit. I also had put my back out and it is not fun being in a lot of pain while away. My husband is 88 and is in good shape except for an old knee injury, but he doesn't like to do a lot of walking either.

World also needs kind people like you JCB, Thar, and Lotje in these recent posts.There are also too many other good people on this forum that if I started to list them, I'd miss some.

Hope you live up to your good genes same as your brother did!

jacobusmaximus
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 3:46:15 AM

Yes, Hamilton - that's the one.The Canadian Warplanes Heritage Museum. I had forgotten at the time of my last post to you.

I have been through the kind of flight you described, Hope, and remember thinking it was all a bit of an adventure. Now, I prefer to forget those nightmares and travel by train within the UK. That's far enough!

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:16:31 PM

Meanwhile in Iceland:

https://slate.com/technology/2019/07/okjokull-iceland-glacier-death-plaque.html