The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gesturing...Interesting Options
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, July 23, 2019 2:52:31 PM

Neurons: 60,592
Happened to come across this and thought it was an interesting read.

Why Do We Gesure When We Talk?

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 3:51:32 AM

Neurons: 164,994
Damn, I wish that had been longer. I'm definitely going to look int this thanks for posting it. The notion that gesturing is intimately tied up with language makes total sense. To my mind, it is going to be an effect of the existence of that strange mental space that we both are aware of and, is the constitutive ground of consciousness.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:18:34 PM

Neurons: 60,592
Epiphileon wrote:
Damn, I wish that had been longer. I'm definitely going to look int this thanks for posting it. The notion that gesturing is intimately tied up with language makes total sense. To my mind, it is going to be an effect of the existence of that strange mental space that we both are aware of and, is the constitutive ground of consciousness.

I wished it had been longer, too, and had included more information, but I suppose this is a new area of investigation. It's something I've never given much thought to, but is a fascinating concept to consider.

I think you're right in the connection between awareness and consciousness. I tend to link gesturing to the idea of trying to create an kind of visual image of the words we are thinking at the time.

This seemed especially true concerning the example of someone leaving by flying in English and in Spanish. English has invented words for specific ideas, whereas in many other languages, such as Spanish, people tend to describe the thing, or the action, rather than invent a new word for it. An example would be the English word for "toes", which in Spanish is "dedos del pie" (fingers of the foot). Such descriptions have always been noticeable to me in my exposure to Spanish.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit