The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is a comma after "wife" necessary? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:20:38 PM

Neurons: 23,230
But his wife Rachel, his doctors, six other brothers and sisters and a nephew have fought for his right to die, arguing it was the more humane option.

Should there be a comma after "wife"?

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:22:36 PM

Neurons: 59,175
Koh Elaine wrote:
But his wife Rachel, his doctors, six other brothers and sisters and a nephew have fought for his right to die, arguing it was the more humane option.

Thanks.

Yes, I think so because it is a list of people.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Koh Elaine
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:34:50 PM

Neurons: 23,230
FounDit wrote:
Koh Elaine wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, I think so because it is a list of people.

Thanks, FounDit.

By placing a comma next to 'wife', does it appear that there are two persons - his wife and Rachel- when there is only one, i.e. his wife.
ozok
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:10:35 PM

Neurons: 2,210
Quote:

just sayin'
thar
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:30:16 PM

Neurons: 82,650
He had eight siblings. (Or at least eight. There may be more who did not get involved in the legal wrangling, although it is unlikely anybody could get away without choosing a side)

Two siblings had been mentioned earlier in the piece, and did not want him to be taken off life support.

So the list of those who did support it does include the six other siblings.

So the other does belong there.

And I agree the comma should not be there. She is his wife Rachel.

Putting a comma would make another entry in the list
his wife,
Rachel,
six other brothers and sisters,
and
a nephew

that is not what they mean. One person, his wife Rachel.

Dynamina
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:04:42 PM

Neurons: 2,840
From the OP there is no background information and there is no source given for this posting. Or even that it was an actual casus. Googling the story does show that it’s a very controversial issue in France.

In any case, there were in total 6 brothers and sisters (siblings) who supported ‘the right to die’. Not 8 siblings or even 7 siblings. But 6 siblings in total supporting this tragic decision. Adding ‘other’ doesn’t change ‘6’ into any other number. Six is 6.

Having 8 siblings one could assume that there are also many nephews. Only one is mentioned. Are there ‘other' nephews/nieces who have an ‘opinion'?
But it just doesn't really matter.
At the end of the day a person is dead.
A family divided.
thar
Posted: Saturday, July 13, 2019 2:32:41 PM

Neurons: 82,650
I am sure there were 8 mentioned
2 on one side of the argument, and the other six on the other side.

Yes, here is the quote

Quote:
Over the years, Lambert's deeply Catholic parents, backed by two of his eight siblings, managed to successfully challenge five different attempts by doctors to halt his life-support.

The last time they tried to do so was in May, but it was quickly overturned by a Paris appeals court.

That ruling was then taken to France's top appeals court, the Cour de Cassation, which on June 28 said doctors could legally end his life support in a definitive final judgement.

With their cases rejected by the highest courts in France as well as by the European Court of Human Rights, Lambert's parents on Friday filed a complaint for "voluntary homicide" with prosecutors in Reims opening a preliminary inquiry.

https://www.afp.com/en/news/15/frenchman-heart-legal-dispute-dies-after-life-support-ends-doc-1il8cr3

I agree it is sad all round. But in terms of the language, that prior sentence is important.

I am sure there were many nieces and nephews, and they probably had opinions, but they are not reported as being involved in the court action.