The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

San Fermin Festival Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 87,066
San Fermin Festival

The festivities surrounding this well-known festival in Pamplona, Spain, begin with a rocket fired from the balcony of the town hall. Bands of txistularis—with dancers, drummers, and txistu players (a musical instrument like a flute)—march through the town playing songs announcing the "running of the bulls," an event that has taken place here for 400 years. Each morning, young men, dressed in typical Basque costumes, risk their lives running through the streets ahead of the bulls being run to the bullring where the bullfights will be held. More...
KSPavan
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 12:47:46 AM

Neurons: 3,651,550
Today's Holiday
San Fermin Festival
The festivities surrounding this well-known festival in Pamplona, Spain, begin with a rocket fired from the balcony of the town hall. Bands of txistularis—with dancers, drummers, and txistu players (a musical instrument like a flute)—march through the town playing songs announcing the "running of the bulls," an event that has taken place here for 400 years. Each morning, young men, dressed in typical Basque costumes, risk their lives running through the streets ahead of the bulls being run to the bullring where the bullfights will be held.
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 9:21:12 AM

Neurons: 547,538
Daemon wrote:
San Fermin Festival

The festivities surrounding this well-known festival in Pamplona, Spain, begin with a rocket fired from the balcony of the town hall. Bands of txistularis—with dancers, drummers, and txistu players (a musical instrument like a flute)—march through the town playing songs announcing the "running of the bulls," an event that has taken place here for 400 years. Each morning, young men, dressed in typical Basque costumes, risk their lives running through the streets ahead of the bulls being run to the bullring where the bullfights will be held. More...
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 9:28:11 AM

Neurons: 547,538
If this were held in any other part of the world rather than Europe, it would be described as absurd and cruel prehistoric folklore.
C185445
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 12:40:22 PM

Neurons: 301,259
Some Basque independentists tried to seize a Basque flag, I'm glad when the mayor blocked the move.

Adyl Mouhei wrote:
If this were held in any other part of the world rather than Europe, it would be described as absurd and cruel prehistoric folklore.

I'm against bullfighting but at least the part of running in front of the bulls (which made this festivity so famous worldwide) I don't think that it should be considered cruel.

In regards to it being absurd, that's subjective. I'd rather do other things than running in front of a bull but I can see why people like it (fear=endorphins).