mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

What are you reading? Options
RuthP
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 2:23:03 PM

Neurons: 87,603
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Yes, Ruth - there's the thesis . .

But . . . were there any good bits in it - exciting chases, that sort of thing?

Only (sort of, kind of, but not very) sexy stuff. But not enough to make up for the thesis. (With which I disagreed anyway.) I didn't really care about any of the characters and I found John Galt (the protagonist), unpleasant.

Ayn Rand is very well liked by a lot of people. I'm not one.
Jim01s
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2019 7:03:02 AM

Neurons: 5
Currently reading George Orwell's "1984". The book was written in the first half of the 20th century, but how could the author predict the reality the humanity is approaching to. It is an amazing piece of art! The "Animal Farm" satire will be next.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 10:21:14 AM

Neurons: 201,846
Hi Ruth - a belated reply.
I think that I would have the same opinion.
"Rich and influential people are worthy and the poor don't deserve anything" is all very good if everyone starts of equal and gets an EXACTLY equal education - and 'who you know' has absolutely no effect on job-placement. Then I could see that "anyone who works hard is rewarded more than the lazy ones who don't".

However, it doesn't work that way - the children of the rich start off with nine tenths of the track already run.

Also, I don't mind a novel's story making me see a moral, but the novel shouldn't spell out the moral throughout the story (in my opinion).

Hello Jim01s.
Welcome to the forum!

I remember reading those two books for the first time (probably in about 1965, just before I finished school). Even then, one could see some of the predictions coming true.
Now it's quite scary.
You should read "Fahrenheit 451" to complete the dystopian trio.
There's a description in that book (written in the 1950s, I think) of an interactive 'reality TV' program. Quite amazing.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
StacieMcnamara
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 10:29:27 AM

I read the Shogun by James Clavell. Awesome book, awesome culture. I recommend to all fans of the genre of the historical saga and culture of Japan.
L.Rai
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2019 11:38:58 PM

Neurons: 1,285,338
If you like Shogun, then try reading a lessor known book "Cloud of Sparrows" and it's sequel "Autumn Bridge" by Takashi Matsuoka, it's a little different in how it's written jumping from present, to past, to future but it's still interesting and very much a book in the same vein as Shogun.

I have a very long list of books I have enjoyed while here in China...

1. Team of Rivals (about Lincoln and his cabinet) good history and written well by Doris Goodwin
2. The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
3. The Organized Mind by Daniel Levitan (I loved this book)

These are the last books I read in the past few months...

I will read just about anything I can get my hands on here because it's hard to find books in English, but if it deals with history I am really interested.

Two authors I like very much are Amy Tan and Lisa See, both are great storytellers about China.

Also some books just should be ready in their original language as some translations don't really capture the story well. I tried reading an English translation of a Chinese classic "Dream of Red Mansions" and it sucked.

I think that may have also been why I did not really like Anna Karenina, just never got into her character and actually by the time she jumps in front of the train, I was ready to push her.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
lazarius
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 1:58:48 AM

Neurons: 336,203
L.Rai wrote:
I will read just about anything I can get my hands on here because it's hard to find books in English, but if it deals with history I am really interested.

It's quite a long time that I haven't read a paper book. I download e-books from Amazon. And though I have the Kindle reader I prefer reading from my computer screen using the Kindle application that is provided for free by Amazon.

Here's the book you loved:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M8PUC8K

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 6:22:33 PM

Neurons: 1,285,338
Lazarius:

I still like to "feel" a book...I had an OLD ipod but when I came to China and lost ALL my books one time because I got so interested I forgot to charge when it told me to charge I decided the "real" thing was much better. I can't lose the book unless I forget where I put it. Tech can be good but sometimes it's not practical.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2019 5:52:52 PM

Neurons: 87,603
L.Rai wrote:
If you like Shogun, then try reading a lessor known book "Cloud of Sparrows" and it's sequel "Autumn Bridge" by Takashi Matsuoka, it's a little different in how it's written jumping from present, to past, to future but it's still interesting and very much a book in the same vein as Shogun.

I have a very long list of books I have enjoyed while here in China...

1. Team of Rivals (about Lincoln and his cabinet) good history and written well by Doris Goodwin
2. The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman
3. The Organized Mind by Daniel Levitan (I loved this book)

These are the last books I read in the past few months...

Two authors I like very much are Amy Tan and Lisa See, both are great storytellers about China.

Also some books just should be ready in their original language as some translations don't really capture the story well. I tried reading an English translation of a Chinese classic "Dream of Red Mansions" and it sucked.

I think that may have also been why I did not really like Anna Karenina, just never got into her character and actually by the time she jumps in front of the train, I was ready to push her.

If you liked A team of Rivals, I highly recommend The Bully Pulpit, which is about the presidencies of Teddy Roosevelt and William Howard Taft. Also, her newest book, Leadership in Turbulent Times, which compares and contrasts the genesis and styles of leadership in Abraham Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Lyndon B. Johnson. You may notice these are all presidents whom she studied and wrote about. Great books and, as I assume you aren't a native `Murican (so to speak), the latter book is a good look at issues which have troubled the U.S. throughout history and are still very much in evidence today.
Mr_Ghost
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 4:25:08 AM

Currently reading The Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
I haven't finished yet, but I see, this is a masterpiece novel.
Blodybeef
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 1:20:52 AM

Neurons: 483,395
I've just finished reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

Loved it.

Crosses between London Above and London Below, and how the denizens just ignored each other, made me think of my own city and how we choose to ignore each other every single day.

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
kevlevrone
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 3:29:10 AM

Neurons: 25
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I am reading Forest Gump right now. I like the movie that is why I decided to read the book.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 8:54:45 AM

Hi Blodybeef.
One of my favourite books - also unusual in that I enjoyed the TV series version too.
I liked the Angel, Islington.
If you have ever played an English version of Monopoly, you will understand the joke.
It used to be just a pub - but The Angel is now a whole area.

Try "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Sir Terry Pratchett.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 11:15:50 AM

kevlevrone wrote:
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I am reading Forest Gump right now. I like the movie that is why I decided to read the book.

Hello kevlevrone.
Welcome to the forum.
I saw the film, but have not read the book.
I'd be interested to know how they compare.

kevlevrone
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 7:12:40 AM

Neurons: 25
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
kevlevrone wrote:

Hello kevlevrone.
Welcome to the forum.
I saw the film, but have not read the book.
I'd be interested to know how they compare.

Hi. You know it is better to read because you understand that it is an original plot. Of course, the plot is mostly the same but in the movie, you can see some differences. Don't miss your chance to read it.
sophiasaymour
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:08:00 AM

Most of time, I like to marketing related books and nowsaday I am reading 80/20 marketing rules book.
lazarius
Posted: Thursday, May 16, 2019 4:18:32 AM

Neurons: 336,203
Matilda, by Roald Dahl

Here's what a Pittsburgh lady has to say about this book:

I'm enjoying it so far. :)

-

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 7:44:34 AM

Neurons: 4,282
sophiasaymour wrote:
Most of time, I like to marketing related books and nowsaday I am reading 80/20 marketing rules book.

What does 80/20 stand for?
Y111
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 12:33:46 PM

Neurons: 1,584
Wikipedia wrote:
The Pareto principle (also known as the 80/20 rule, the law of the vital few, or the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.
Adam Simon
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 2:59:41 PM

Neurons: 8
Mr_Ghost wrote:
Currently reading The Lord of the Flies by William Golding.
I haven't finished yet, but I see, this is a masterpiece novel.

I love this book, it is so immersive! What are your thoughts about it?

I'm currently re-reading the "1984", by George Orwell. Such a great book. I think it keeps finding new relevance.