The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

D-Day Heroes Might Ask: "What the heck have you done with the tomorrows we gave you?" Options
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, June 6, 2019 5:14:37 PM

Neurons: 50,679
Preface: I wrote this in response to a comment in another thread. Y111 wrote: "Everything ends. Why should democracy be an exception?" Some are the ideas from others I have read who are giving their opinions about the necessity of fighting for democracy in our countries. Some of these ideas are mine.

June 6, 1944, D-Day. A good time to commemorate and remind the world why those veterans were on Normandy's beaches. They were putting their lives on the line to fight against dictators who were trampling on human rights. Those boys and young men were fighting FOR democracy and peace.

It seems to me that many older folks in the world have forgotten this. And the younger in the democracies don't really appreciate what they have, taking their freedom for granted, expecting it to always continue.

Those democratic values are always eroded when supposed "strong men" seize power. It happens gradually until democracy becomes dictatorship.

What we've forgotten is that the world has to work together to protect human rights, and those "strong men" with greed for power and wealth, who have no consciences, are trying to erode, even cancel, the very organizations that have kept us from a major world war since 1945 - UN, WHO, EU, trade agreements etc. We should be celebrating those groups warts and all, as well as remembering sacrifices.

There is a German-French coalition, Alliance for Multilateralism, that Canada joined but Trump was not invited. In fact it was a sacrilege to me to hear that draft-dodger Trump had spoken at Normandy when he is doing his very best to tear apart world co-operation and all the values those veterans gave their lives for, while praising dictators and despots.

Canada has had a resurgence of intolerance. It was also just accused of genocide by the Indigenous. China, Philippines, Turkey, parts of Europe and the USA are trampling on rights of "the Other". US derided Muslims, Mexicans, and LGBTQ. It has always had a "Black" problem. June 4, just thirty years ago, was the Tiananmen Massacre.

Women are being suppressed and oppressed with forces even in Canada trying to take back uterus control in the name of religion.

One veteran said that if those young men who died for their countries could see what's happening today in the world they would ask, "What the hell have you done with the tomorrows we gave you?"

How can we stand up for human rights for ALL people and for democracy?

All we have is our vote. How do we encourage those with apathy to use their vote and use it wisely remembering our veteran's values?

Several countries have vowed to work together to not allow that horrible global conflict to ever happen again.

The question for us is: What can we do to resist these forces that often use threats and violence to erode democracy? It is rather a helpless feeling. Is Y111 right that there is nothing to be done even if many pull together?

Any comments?

The other thread: http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst191624_USA-elections-2020.aspx?find=unread

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 2:15:59 AM

Neurons: 572,859
Y111 also said that big changes are not something an individual can control, and I think it's precisely that mentality that stops people from going out to vote, from standing by others in need of support. The whole point of democracy is that it should give individuals a say in what is going on and if enough of them think the same way, then things get done. But the ones who disagree are not silenced either.

I don't like where things have been going recently, with extreme right view points gaining ground. Not because they shouldn't be heard, but because the one's I've encountered are so keen on speaking, they actively want to drown out everyone else. They shout down any criticism with "freedom of speech", denying others the same right.

And most of all, I dislike the lack of respect. The groups I've seen are all spearheaded by people who have no care for who they're trying to rally, only for what they get out of it personally. They twist their way out of any responsibility, like Farage not having a manifesto for his Brexit Party, like Trump not giving up his tax returns. They hide behind their rights, but deny others the same thing. They demand others be held responsible, but whine when the same thing happens to them.

And they're at their most powerful when they convince individuals that they have no control, that everyone should just let them sort things out and not to worry their pretty little heads.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 5:39:31 AM

Neurons: 1,097,056
Hope123 wrote:
D-Day Heroes Might Ask: "What the heck have you done with the tomorrows we gave you?"

Become so mind numbingly stupefied from facebook that we lose the ability to pull our head out of our own arse and see something other that sh:t. Case in point, I had a relative tell me the other day that the Stormy Daniels $130,000 payoff was "fake news."

¡Ay caramba! Brick wall
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 7:29:32 AM

Neurons: 417,173
Hope123 wrote:
Preface: I wrote this in response to a comment in another thread. Y111 wrote: "Everything ends. Why should democracy be an exception?" Some are the ideas from others I have read who are giving their opinions about the necessity of fighting for democracy in our countries. Some of these ideas are mine.

June 6, 1944, D-Day. A good time to commemorate and remind the world why those veterans were on Normandy's beaches. They were putting their lives on the line to fight against dictators who were trampling on human rights. Those boys and young men were fighting FOR democracy and peace.

It seems to me that many older folks in the world have forgotten this. And the younger in the democracies don't really appreciate what they have, taking their freedom for granted, expecting it to always continue.

Those democratic values are always eroded when supposed "strong men" seize power. It happens gradually until democracy becomes dictatorship.

What we've forgotten is that the world has to work together to protect human rights, and those "strong men" with greed for power and wealth, who have no consciences, are trying to erode, even cancel, the very organizations that have kept us from a major world war since 1945 - UN, WHO, EU, trade agreements etc. We should be celebrating those groups warts and all, as well as remembering sacrifices.

There is a German-French coalition, Alliance for Multilateralism, that Canada joined but Trump was not invited. In fact it was a sacrilege to me to hear that draft-dodger Trump had spoken at Normandy when he is doing his very best to tear apart world co-operation and all the values those veterans gave their lives for, while praising dictators and despots.

Canada has had a resurgence of intolerance. It was also just accused of genocide by the Indigenous. China, Philippines, Turkey, parts of Europe and the USA are trampling on rights of "the Other". US derided Muslims, Mexicans, and LGBTQ. It has always had a "Black" problem. June 4, just thirty years ago, was the Tiananmen Massacre.

Women are being suppressed and oppressed with forces even in Canada trying to take back uterus control in the name of religion.

One veteran said that if those young men who died for their countries could see what's happening today in the world they would ask, "What the hell have you done with the tomorrows we gave you?"

How can we stand up for human rights for ALL people and for democracy?

All we have is our vote. How do we encourage those with apathy to use their vote and use it wisely remembering our veteran's values?

Several countries have vowed to work together to not allow that horrible global conflict to ever happen again.

The question for us is: What can we do to resist these forces that often use threats and violence to erode democracy? It is rather a helpless feeling. Is Y111 right that there is nothing to be done even if many pull together?

Any comments?

The other thread: http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst191624_USA-elections-2020.aspx?find=unread