The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Shakespeare in modern life Options
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 3:12:07 AM

Neurons: 207,936
Just a couple of things I found which made me laugh.

The second one is Donald Trump, but is not political - it's just a take on his style of rhetoric. One could probably pick a few politicians, but Donald Trump is more topical and currently more recognisable.

Any other "Shakespeare in modern times" offerings?

Peter Sellers - Hamlet, Prince of Denmark performing The Beatles.

Soliloquy from Hamlet - Prince of Denmark.

Listen — to be, not to be, this is a tough question, O.K.? Very tough. A lot of people come up to me and ask, "Donald, what's more noble? Getting hit every day with the slings, the bows, the arrows, the sea of troubles — or just giving up?" I mean, smart people, the best Ivy League schools.

But I say to them, "Have you ever thought that we don't know — we don't know — what dreams may come? Have you ever thought about that?" Ay yi yi — there's the rub! There's the rub right there. When we shuffle off this mortal whatever it is — coil? They say to me, "Donald, you've built this fantastic company, how'd you do it? How?" And I say one word: "leadership." Because that's what it's all about, is leadership. And people are so grateful whenever I bring up this whole “perchance to dream” thing. So grateful.

And on and on with the whips and the scorns of time and the contumely and the fardels and the blah blah blah.

Then I see a bare bodkin and I'm like — a bodkin? What the hell is this thing, a bodkin? Listen, I run a very successful business, I employ thousands of people and I'm supposed to care whether this bodkin is bare or not? Sad!

And when people say I don't have a conscience — trust me, I have a conscience, and it's a very big conscience, O.K.? And the native hue of my resolution is not sicklied o'er, that's a lie! If anyone tells you that the native hue of my resolution is sicklied o'er, they're trying to sell you a load of you-know-what. And enterprises of great pith — listen, my enterprises are so pithy. So pithy. Fantastic pith. But sometimes, hey, they lose the name of action, right? I mean, it happens — it happens.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 3:39:26 AM

Neurons: 84,242
Applause Applause Applause
I can just hear that speech.
lazarius
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 4:01:37 AM

Neurons: 517,611
thar wrote:
I can just hear that speech.

Yuck. Don't start that again.

-

Come share with me the oceans - oceans of fantasy.
towan52
Posted: Sunday, May 12, 2019 9:31:11 AM

Neurons: 219,161
Forsooth! and heaven forfend - that is vastly comedic! Unto the breeches ... Whistle

Voldermort for Trump 2020