The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Bloomberg Article - Investors and Climate Goals Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 4:44:42 PM

Neurons: 49,271
Bloomberg Business News is just left of centre because of choice of topics but high in factual info and research, so is a good source for financial information. With info known now, this article shows predictions of what will happen to various industries if climate goals are not met.

I came across this article and I thought that business people might be interested.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-08/investors-should-worry-if-climate-goals-are-missed-mercer-warns

Investors be warned: If the planet heats up by more than two degrees, it’s going to get a lot harder to make money...The report marks one of the first attempts to model sector-specific investment risks from climate change over decades

"Do the people you care about love you back?" Warren Buffett's measure of success
progpen
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:17:52 AM

Neurons: 348,119
Great article and it does put it in a context that more people will listen to. The industries that they look at could be considered obvious, but some of the other industries that are already being impacted are:

Insurance - The insurance industry is limiting where disaster insurance can be purchased and how many times someone can collect before being denied coverage.
Tourism - Tourism is getting hammered in locations all over the world. Highly variable weather patterns make scheduling difficult for outdoor sports like skiing and swimming. Hurricanes and typhoons are destroying tourist locations annually, only to be rebuilt and destroyed again.
Real Estate - Property values have started to plummet in disaster prone areas, mostly due to the difficulty of obtaining insurance.

American Express goes as far as to say if your business relies on a steady supply of water or if you sell or use commodities like food, a mineral, or oil then you will be affected. (This includes damn near everyone.)

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
progpen
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 11:22:57 AM

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/092215/industries-will-benefit-global-warming.asp

"Believe it or not, there are companies that have been inventing what has been described as “Wall Street-type tools” in order to make profitable bets on what commodities could soon be scarce."

"There are also companies that are advising their wealthy clients on making purchases of land, specifically farmland, which will be more valuable as climate change impacts weather patterns. In fact, investors, via financial service firms, are purchasing water rights, as well as farmland, because of the large profits that will be made due to drought and food shortages."

Then there is "the agricultural biotech sector – companies like Monsanto Company (MON) that make genetically modified seeds, which they say will be able to withstand a harsher climate with prolonged droughts or frosts."

Hope123
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 12:17:16 PM

Interesting!

Proggy, you and I seem to be the only ones interested in finance. Strange when usually everybody's ears perk up at mention of money.

"Do the people you care about love you back?" Warren Buffett's measure of success
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 2:37:46 AM

Hope123 wrote:
Interesting!

Proggy, you and I seem to be the only ones interested in finance. Strange when usually everybody's ears perk up at mention of money.

I know what you mean, especially since we have the 1% who are buying up water rights as investments. If that doesn't send a chill up the spine then I can't imagine what will.

Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 16, 2019 9:28:21 AM

progpen wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
Interesting!

I know what you mean, especially since we have the 1% who are buying up water rights as investments. If that doesn't send a chill up the spine then I can't imagine what will.

Wow. It does. Where can I read more about that?

I just noticed your signature quote. I assume you know Atwood used it in Handmaid's Tale. I heard she wrote a sequel but then I've heard nothing more.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:02:12 PM

Assume you saw this re the UK's achievements without ruining the economy, Proggy?

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 5:44:15 AM

Neurons: 477,465
Maybe I should start investing in wineries in Finland ;-)

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.