The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Our audience could be provided with a presentation (being) given by one of our best historians Options
EnglishFanatic92
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 5:13:48 PM

Neurons: 728
Hello all.

I wonder why it isn't possible (at least that's what I was told) to use "being" in the following sentence. Why is it so? Could you, please, tell me? Thank you!

- Our audience could be provided with a presentation being given by one of our best historians.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 7:27:34 PM

Neurons: 8,224
EnglishFanatic92 wrote:
Hello all.

I wonder why it isn't possible (at least that's what I was told) to use "being" in the following sentence. Why is it so? Could you, please, tell me? Thank you!

- Our audience could be provided with a presentation being given by one of our best historians.

The sentence speculates that the audience could be provided with something a presentation by a historian, that will happen some time in the future at an unknown time.

However being is the present participle of be, it is something that is happening now.

I suppose strictly speaking there is some sense in which a presentation that is being given now could be recorded and played back to an audience later, so it's not totally impossible.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 8:06:34 PM

Neurons: 190,602
That answer makes sense.
How I look at it is that the original sentence (without 'being') is a shortened version of a relative clause (a "reduced clause").

Our audience could be provided with a presentation which would be given by one of our best historians.

Our audience could be provided with a presentation given by one of our best historians.

It doesn't make sense to add in "being".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Gabriel Riley 1
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:24:53 PM

Neurons: 5,135
EnglishFanatic92 wrote:
Hello all.

The problem is the verb at the beginning is "could," which normally signals a conditional or subjunctive sentence (in this case, conditional). Therefore, to be grammatically correct, the sentence should read like this:

"Our audience could be provided with a presentation from one our best historians."

Simply stated, the "being" is not needed because of the given sentence structure.
Romany
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 2:19:01 PM

Neurons: 48,295
The thing that's been gnawing at me is the concept of the audience being 'provided with' a presentation.

A presentation is something that is presented to the audience.

What you are providing is a lecture/talk/slide-show etc for the audience. You aren't providing a presentation.

A presentation refers to the WAY the lecture/talk/slideshow etc. is being provided.

Thus "Our audience could have a presentation from one of our top historians."

Or "We could provide our audience with a lecture/talk/slideshow/ by one of our top historians."

But somehow "providing one's audience with" something other than the physical (3-D glasses, popcorn,a pet monkey) just doesn't sit right. It's an unlikely concept.

"Being" just doesn't come into it. One of your top historians is going to give a presentation. That's all anyone would actually say.