The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It's 2050 and this is how we stopped climate change. Options
progpen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 12:17:18 PM

Neurons: 352,977
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/03/11/688876374/its-2050-and-this-is-how-we-stopped-climate-change

Contrary to popular perception, there are brilliant and dedicated people in the US who are working toward an end to human-induced climate change. The tools needed to reduce human emissions of greenhouse gasses already exist, so it is a matter of managing the social disruption associated with such a sea change in regional, national, and global economies as well as the cultural disruption for coal and oil-producing regions in the US where family and personal identities are tied to the fossil fuel industries.

Sally Benson, director of the Global Climate and Energy Project at Stanford talked to NPR about what 2050 will look like without the horrors of accelerating climate change and global warming. She described extensive use of trains, mandatory carbon capture for any obsolete manufacturers, power storage for electricity generation, and electric cars and mass transit. She also talks about how "entire industries died — like oil exploration and gas furnace manufacturing. Others rose to take their place, as the country rebuilt its electrical systems. People didn't know what would happen and they were scared. The changes only moved ahead when people were convinced that they weren't getting ignored and left behind. It was the political struggle of a generation."

One major takeaway from the article is that once the fear was dealt with, the transition was/is/will be beneficial for everyone (even the African continent, which is in a position to take great advantage of clean energy) financially and socially.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 12:38:16 PM

Neurons: 684,488
Hahahahaha!
progpen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 12:40:26 PM

Always nice to see such a thoughtful and eloquent rebuttal from the peanut gallery.

FounDit
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 1:49:06 PM

Neurons: 55,329
I have, on occasion, given thoughtful, and what I would describe as eloquent, rebuttal on this topic. But the childish fear of climate change believers remains firmly rooted. Therefore, the reaction from the peanut gallery is an entirely appropriate response, IMO.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
progpen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 2:06:02 PM

Duly noted.

progpen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 2:13:52 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-18/in-dire-report-pentagon-warns-bases-imperiled-by-climate-change

New updated report. Looks like the headquarters for that vast left wing conspiracy (the US Pentagon) is warning of serious consequences due to global warming.

The report contradicts the view of President Donald Trump, who has rejected the scientific consensus that climate change is real and man-made. The report’s premise echoes the findings of the National Climate Assessment, written by 13 federal agencies and released in November. It concluded that the effects of global warming are accelerating and will cause widespread disruption.

progpen
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 2:17:01 PM

But, hey, if Captain Sphincter Blossom and his mighty band of anti-vaxxing flat earthers say otherwise who are you to argue, eh?

https://www.behindthecurvefilm.com/
The people behind climate change denial.

towan52
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 3:18:24 PM

Neurons: 203,791
progpen wrote:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-18/in-dire-report-pentagon-warns-bases-imperiled-by-climate-change

New updated report. Looks like the headquarters for that vast left wing conspiracy (the US Pentagon) is warning of serious consequences due to global warming.

The report contradicts the view of President Donald Trump, who has rejected the scientific consensus that climate change is real and man-made. The report’s premise echoes the findings of the National Climate Assessment, written by 13 federal agencies and released in November. It concluded that the effects of global warming are accelerating and will cause widespread disruption.

If it contradicts Donnie John, it must be wrong - Make America Grate Again Whistle

“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.” ~ Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Hope123
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 11:01:35 PM

Neurons: 49,458
Hi Proggy.

I noticed that the fear being discussed was that of people being afraid of mitigation changes because they "might be left behind".

But many countries are already on the track, pun intended. I posted about Germany's hydrogen train in another thread.

https://www.sciencealert.com/first-hydrogen-powered-train-now-taking-passengers-in-germany

And many countries have set goals of dates to phase out petrol and diesel cars, just as many countries are phasing or have phased out coal plants.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/09/countries-are-announcing-plans-to-phase-out-petrol-and-diesel-cars-is-yours-on-the-list/

In spite of the nay sayers, it is happening. All over the world. In an ever changing world. Those who survive are those who adapt to those changes.

And when Nancy Pelosi is president, good changes will happen in the US too.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 3:09:01 AM

Hope, the fear is politically motivated. This is another case in the US of making sure the correct people continue to make money without disruption. What these changes require is new industries replacing old established industries and in the US those old industries feel entitled to continue to make money just as they have for decades. At the personal and family level, we see people who have only ever known the fossil fuel industry and are very afraid of losing what little they already have in order to take on something new.

L.Rai
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 4:19:40 AM

Neurons: 1,214,840
I usually avoid threads like this...but 2050...hmmm, at my age that is a number I am sure not to see. At the rate things are going it's not climate change we should fear...it's mankind and what we do to each other. Before the climate wipes us out..I believe we will find a more effective way to wipe us out. If that mentality doesn't change then who cares if the world is warming or cooling?

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:17:38 PM

Neurons: 55,329
I considered making another thoughtful, and what I would describe as eloquent, rebuttal to this topic once again, but Rahm Emanuel, the current mayor of Chicago and Obama's Chief of Staff, talked me out of it.

In an article in USA Today, he is warning Democrats that if they pursue a far-left agenda, the result could be President Donald Trump's re-election. He is quoted as saying:

"Earth to Democrats: Republicans are telling you something when they gleefully schedule votes on proposals like the Green New Deal, Medicare for all, and a 70 percent marginal tax rate," he said.

Progressive Democrats like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez [AOC], D-N.Y., have advocated for such policies, and many of the announced 2020 Democratic primary contenders have announced support for one or more of those policies."

No, no. Earth to Democrats: Keep it up, please! Push the Green New Deal; Push hard for Medicare for all; Shove the 70% tax rate right up the ol' bum! Yessiree, Bob. Please, AOC, Go sister, Go sister, Go! Show us who you all really are.

I'm loving it! You have my full support. We must destroy the energy sectors of the world's economies! The immediate starvation of half the population is a good thing! Members of the "Birth Strike" group won't have to worry about the lives of their children - there won't be any! Hooray for the planet! Humans be damned! More topics on climate change is exactly what we need. I'm with you.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:11:30 AM

L.Rai wrote:
I usually avoid threads like this...but 2050...hmmm, at my age that is a number I am sure not to see. At the rate things are going it's not climate change we should fear...it's mankind and what we do to each other. Before the climate wipes us out..I believe we will find a more effective way to wipe us out. If that mentality doesn't change then who cares if the world is warming or cooling?

L.Rai, that is a number that many of us are not sure to see. And it really is mankind that will do us in, long before the climate actually does, but not the way you may be thinking. The Pentagon has been looking at likely scenarios for decades and has been preparing for the things that most likely will affect the US, and mankind. As global warming disrupts entire regions and countries even further, those countries and people will, out of desperation, become more militant. Wars, guerrilla actions, and terrorist attacks will become increasingly common to the point that it will affect Europe and the US and we will become involved in not one, but multiple world wars.

So yes, mankind will kill us before global warming, but global warming is already the driving force behind it.

L.Rai
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2019 11:35:28 PM

Like I said before I usually avoid these types of threads...however I just watched a really good documentary done by Peter Jackson on the anniversary of WWI, "They Shall Not Grow Old" It was really well done and I do recommend it for various reasons. Mostly I believe it poses the question we should ALL be asking, "What's the point of it?" That question isn't just about "war" it can be about most of the choices we as humans make that affect others in ways that are not productive to the greater good. Debate is fine, hatred is not. Think

progpen
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:56:32 AM

L.Rai, your desire to avoid war is in the majority. So the question is, how do we avoid the path that leads to global wars caused by manmade climate change? Right now, manmade global warming is causing individuals, groups, regions, and countries to consider violence as a solution to climate threats to their livelihood and wellbeing.

As larger and larger swaths of land are being ravaged by global warming, the people living there are forced to migrate. Mass migration from Syria (mass exodus due to war) is a drop in the bucket compared to what we will see in the next 10 to 20 years due to global warming and look at the disruption it has caused.

L.Rai
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 3:24:07 AM

Progpen:

While I can see your POV and I am sure you are sure about it, I am not so sure. I am not sure GW is the cause behind all that is going wrong in our world and maybe it's just me but I think that would be naive to think such. I wish it were that easy to point a single finger at a single issue and say that is the cause...how neatly wrapped up. I believe our current situation is far more complex and more deeply rooted than just GW.

I would like to think that maybe the first step is to learn to be kind to others, easier said than done. I have never been someone who had to deal with racism until I came to China. BTW I am an old white lady, but being a foreigner in this country isn't easy. I face racism here but not nearly as much as other foreigners of color. Is that related to GW I don't think so...but then that's my personal opinion based on my life here. I believe I face it because the culture here permits it and because many people here don't know any better.

Please understand, I am not trying to engage in a deep debate about this...I don't want or care to change your mind...I am merely stating my POV and trying to be clear about it. Do I believe there is GW, maybe yes, but I also believe climate change is something that happens for many reasons. Do I think we need to rethink how we use our resources...yes. I do not believe we are very wise in how we manage limited resources. I do believe it's up to each of us to think about how we interact with each other and our environment so that both are respected. Those are my views, respectfully.

progpen
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 9:40:23 AM

L.Rai, no worries mate.

Hope123
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 12:08:06 PM

Neurons: 49,458
The Climate Benefits of the Green New Deal

Too many people are focusing on how much it will cost and not on the trillions of dollars it could save.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-climate-benefits-of-the-green-new-deal/

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
progpen
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 12:18:27 PM

Hope, I think it was one of your posts that showed a cartoon of the benefits of sustainability and the joke was that even if humans were not causing global warming that the benefits would still be worth it. The Green New Deal is the most fiscally responsible way possible to spend tax dollars, but the wrong people will get wealthy from it.

Romany
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 12:31:55 PM

Neurons: 48,295

This isn't directed at LRai who is both honest enough to admit they are confused, and mature enough not to find childish slogans acceptable as an actual comment on anything.

Ever since the first rumblings about how our behaviour is affecting the planet - without even a need to talk about Global Warming - Governments of countries all over the world have realised that, our numbers having grown so considerably, it is in the interests of humanity as a whole to take care of our environment. It's not partisan, political, opinion: it's a fact that if you refuse to take care of, or look after, your environment - whether it be your flat or your world - you're going to end up living in filth and degradation. What's so bloody hard to "believe in" about that? How is it a "plot" by some obscure political party in some particular foreign country?

Ever since we realised that our resources are finite and our population growing, even children can understand "If you eat all the cake at once you'll have no cake left." Again, how does this become a "plot", or a "crazy belief" or something which causes the Foundits and the Wilmars of the world to distort reality and abuse those who won't join them in displaying their selfishness and lack of comprehension? Once an increase in "wild weather" starts to take hold - whether its because a god wills it, or because it 'just happens' why wouldn't any thinking person wish to take steps which can help to lessen such events?? Such reasoning is incomprehensible.

And why is a small sector of the American people - of all the millions of people in the world - able to remain so damn ignorant of the rest of the world and how it works, that they don't understand the tension, anger and contempt the rest of the world feels towards them for ruining all the efforts the rest of the world has been taking to make even the simple steps of looking ahead to the future, instinctive? Why are so few allowed the right to cause the deaths of millions of people and the entire environment simply because they are improperly educated; or consider themselves incapable of being wrong?

It seems to me it's because they are also taught to revel in their isolationism: in boast and be proud of the ignorance in which lies malleability and destruction. Every single "idea" they put forward about why we don't need clean water, or lack of pollution, or wastage, or the destruction of our food sources, or modern alternatives to combat modern problems; have years since been argued, put forth, shown to be possible, started working... in every other country. There's no need to convince or explain or try to convert either side. It's all been damn well done already. And all they have to do is look outside their protective bubble to see HOW. It's like a blind person sitting in a room with ten heavily armed terminators and trying to make every sighted person around them believe that they are alone.

No-one really cares what one particular person thinks about Climate Change...we dealt with all that decades ago. We're all way ahead and reading from a different script: we're experiencing global problems. This is currently our reality. There are ways to help alleviate or even prevent these problems. That is also our current reality. Whatever the cause of this current reality can be left out of the whole discussion completely.

But airing and trying to use every single tired old chestnut the global forum has ever heard over the last half century or more, is unproductive, and, well, kind of embarrassing. It doesn't matter a fig what a person's politics and ideology is in the grand scheme of things. We are all part of a community far larger than the muddled, unrealistic tenets of any one person's beliefs. And why the hell must we continually have to keep listening to, and be expected to "respect" those whose selfishness is so ingrained that they are prepared to see everyone perish rather than to even entertain the idea that they, personally, may not possess the accuity or capability of accepting reality?

When jejune and fatuous responses to concepts beyond their understanding are the only responses of such people, it goes so much further to indicating the depth of a person's mis-understanding or ability to discuss something more eloquently than any detailed response, true. But that's the reason the average person finds such responses so ridiculous and enraging: most kids have, some time in pre-puberty, first realised that "na-na-na-na-na" or "I know you are, but what am I?" or simply "You're a waste of skin". belong with childhood. To be expected to regress to childhood/young adulthood in order to take oneself to a level playing-field with that person's "ideas" is really just another tool in the divisive attempt to produce a violent divisive world, or forum.

Geez, So you don't believe in "Climate Change"? And you don't mind exposing your lack of reasoning skills in public? Your prerogative.

But we're in a mess. We have ways of reducing or completely alleviating the mess. Why on earth not just keep your silly political positions - which, in any case, only exist in one teensy tiny pocket of the human race - for those other unhappy souls who get the same kicks out of putting people down as you do? Why keep on and on interrupting the grown up with worthless sloganeering when they're talking about grown-up things like Life, survival, the needs, wants and limitations of human existance; the current capabilities that technology and modern Science have opened up; the results of the hundred and thousands of tests and inquiries and theses which have actually become available during your own lifetime?

And then, when you've done so, why not come back and tell us - in measured language and with clarity - why you, alone of communities ranging from the Kalahari Bushmen to the children of every country, to the farmers and fisherfolk everywhere, cannot understand the need for potable water, lack of contamination, squandering of resources, clean air, the health and availability of species upon which we currently depend for survival; how to take measure to help prevent bushfires, volcanos, tornadoes, tsunamis... and how to cope with this kind of even - to set up people and communities which have hitherto contributed to our productivity. To set up again and to ensure that the productivity lost in such events is regained as quickly as possible; rather than further eroding away our economies?

L.Rai
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 6:37:59 PM

Dear Romany:

Thanks...you have stated your views well and with respect..thank you.

progpen
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 3:49:32 AM

Romany wrote:
Governments of countries all over the world have realised that, our numbers having grown so considerably, it is in the interests of humanity as a whole to take care of our environment. It's not partisan, political, opinion: it's a fact that if you refuse to take care of, or look after, your environment - whether it be your flat or your world - you're going to end up living in filth and degradation. What's so bloody hard to "believe in" about that? How is it a "plot" by some obscure political party in some particular foreign country?

Ever since we realised that our resources are finite and our population growing, even children can understand "If you eat all the cake at once you'll have no cake left." Again, how does this become a "plot", or a "crazy belief" or something which causes the Foundits and the Wilmars of the world to distort reality and abuse those who won't join them in displaying their selfishness and lack of comprehension? Once an increase in "wild weather" starts to take hold - whether its because a god wills it, or because it 'just happens' why wouldn't any thinking person wish to take steps which can help to lessen such events?? Such reasoning is incomprehensible.

First, it isn't about believing in climate change, which you already know, it is about the belief system that benefits from denial. Denial is controllable because it is fear of authority. And fear is the most valuable weapon in any political party's arsenal. Any political party that can position itself to 'represent' these deniers, will win their votes and donations to their campaigns. That's the primary tangible value. The secondary intangible value is that they are easily moulded, easily led, and easily given new enemies, new targets, and new fears.

Romany wrote:
And why is a small sector of the American people - of all the millions of people in the world - able to remain so damn ignorant of the rest of the world and how it works, that they don't understand the tension, anger and contempt the rest of the world feels towards them for ruining all the efforts the rest of the world has been taking to make even the simple steps of looking ahead to the future, instinctive? Why are so few allowed the right to cause the deaths of millions of people and the entire environment simply because they are improperly educated; or consider themselves incapable of being wrong?

It isn't just American's who choose to remain ignorant for their denial beliefs. This may not seem to be the case because the American portion of deniers tend to be much louder (have more money and free time). One other difference is that in the US the deniers are actually given the spotlight, podiums, camera time and thus are given artificial legitimacy. Following the money behind the spotlights, podiums, and camera time will unsurprisingly lead back to the political party that 'represents' them. This is why it seems that there are so many more deniers in the US.

Romany wrote:
It seems to me it's because they are also taught to revel in their isolationism: in boast and be proud of the ignorance in which lies malleability and destruction. Every single "idea" they put forward about why we don't need clean water, or lack of pollution, or wastage, or the destruction of our food sources, or modern alternatives to combat modern problems; have years since been argued, put forth, shown to be possible, started working... in every other country. There's no need to convince or explain or try to convert either side. It's all been damn well done already. And all they have to do is look outside their protective bubble to see HOW. It's like a blind person sitting in a room with ten heavily armed terminators and trying to make every sighted person around them believe that they are alone.

Isolationism is not an American construct by any means. Populist parties all over the world are cashing in on anti-globalism.

There needs to be a distinction made between ignorance and willful ignorance. There are still many areas of the world, and even in the US because of the horrendous state of the education system, where access to information is lacking or not easily available. I'm not talking about access to the Internet, because without a proper education, access to the Internet will more likely result in accessing disproven information than legitimate information. Unfiltered access to the Internet without a proper education is quite simply what got us into this mess with deniers because people are so easily led to believe what they see online.

Willful ignorance is an act of convenience by those who have had access to a proper education but choose not to use it in favor of something easier, like a political belief system.

Romany wrote:
No-one really cares what one particular person thinks about Climate Change...we dealt with all that decades ago. We're all way ahead and reading from a different script: we're experiencing global problems. This is currently our reality. There are ways to help alleviate or even prevent these problems. That is also our current reality. Whatever the cause of this current reality can be left out of the whole discussion completely.

But airing and trying to use every single tired old chestnut the global forum has ever heard over the last half century or more, is unproductive, and, well, kind of embarrassing. It doesn't matter a fig what a person's politics and ideology is in the grand scheme of things. We are all part of a community far larger than the muddled, unrealistic tenets of any one person's beliefs. And why the hell must we continually have to keep listening to, and be expected to "respect" those whose selfishness is so ingrained that they are prepared to see everyone perish rather than to even entertain the idea that they, personally, may not possess the accuity or capability of accepting reality?

The US is indeed far behind many countries in dealing with global warming. The effects of the deniers is being offset somewhat by the rest of the country, though, in that responsible people, responsible local governments, and responsible companies/businesses are taking steps to reduce their footprint. As stated before, the US is giving the deniers massive resources to spread their beliefs, so it may seem to the rest of the world that the entire US is nothing but deniers. In reality, the majority of the US is doing a damn good job of fighting off the constant drone of disinformation coming from every angle, from every form of media, and at work or at home. It is that part that I don't think the rest of the developed world really understands. If the UK government put up a concerted effort to funnel taxpayer money into a disproven belief system and utilized the media to disseminate their message, the effect would be the same as here. And no, I'm not making excuses for the US being in the pathetic state it is in now.

Romany wrote:
When jejune and fatuous responses to concepts beyond their understanding are the only responses of such people, it goes so much further to indicating the depth of a person's mis-understanding or ability to discuss something more eloquently than any detailed response, true. But that's the reason the average person finds such responses so ridiculous and enraging: most kids have, some time in pre-puberty, first realised that "na-na-na-na-na" or "I know you are, but what am I?" or simply "You're a waste of skin". belong with childhood. To be expected to regress to childhood/young adulthood in order to take oneself to a level playing-field with that person's "ideas" is really just another tool in the divisive attempt to produce a violent divisive world, or forum.

Geez, So you don't believe in "Climate Change"? And you don't mind exposing your lack of reasoning skills in public? Your prerogative.

But we're in a mess. We have ways of reducing or completely alleviating the mess. Why on earth not just keep your silly political positions - which, in any case, only exist in one teensy tiny pocket of the human race - for those other unhappy souls who get the same kicks out of putting people down as you do? Why keep on and on interrupting the grown up with worthless sloganeering when they're talking about grown-up things like Life, survival, the needs, wants and limitations of human existance; the current capabilities that technology and modern Science have opened up; the results of the hundred and thousands of tests and inquiries and theses which have actually become available during your own lifetime?

And then, when you've done so, why not come back and tell us - in measured language and with clarity - why you, alone of communities ranging from the Kalahari Bushmen to the children of every country, to the farmers and fisherfolk everywhere, cannot understand the need for potable water, lack of contamination, squandering of resources, clean air, the health and availability of species upon which we currently depend for survival; how to take measure to help prevent bushfires, volcanos, tornadoes, tsunamis... and how to cope with this kind of even - to set up people and communities which have hitherto contributed to our productivity. To set up again and to ensure that the productivity lost in such events is regained as quickly as possible; rather than further eroding away our economies?

There is no measured language or clarity in the denials, simply because it is a political belief. Expecting such is counter productive and just gives online trolls more power than they ever should have been given. There is a deep desire by most of us to help others understand (whether they want to understand or not). This is what trolls need. This is what they feed on. Because as long as someone somewhere gives them a platform to speak, they will repeat their belief without ever considering other viewpoints because that is not why they are posting. They do not post to learn, they post to repeat their message.