The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Why are some REAL words not allowed on your Words Within Words Game Options
Catlady
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:28:51 PM

Neurons: 142,954
Like the word RAPE? It is a CRIME. Any adult ought to know what it is.

I run across quite a few words that are not vulgar, or slang, or proper nouns (though you do allow quite a few proper nouns like first names such as Alan, Eric, Carl, and many others) that are allowed on your game.

Pardon me if this is the wrong section, because I have trouble finding things on your forum.

I was just wondering.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 5:11:02 PM

Neurons: 625,829
Catlady wrote:
Like the word RAPE? It is a CRIME. Any adult ought to know what it is.

I run across quite a few words that are not vulgar, or slang, or proper nouns (though you do allow quite a few proper nouns like first names such as Alan, Eric, Carl, and many others) that are allowed on your game.

Pardon me if this is the wrong section, because I have trouble finding things on your forum.

I was just wondering.

Rape has other meanings, as well, and yet, we're so... so... so... I'm not sure what, but gawd forbid, we can't allow THAT word! Childish works... We're so CHILDISH that we can't allow that word. But yet, read some of the posts people leave and I can't imagine why they are allowed -- being nothing but vulgar, vile, and deliberately hateful.

...Either of two European plants (Brassica napus or B. rapa) of the mustard family, cultivated as fodder and for their seeds, which yield a valuable oil. Certain varieties of these plants yield canola oil. Also called colza, oilseed rape.

The refuse of grapes left after the extraction of the juice in winemaking.

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:28:31 PM

Neurons: 8,224
A friend of a friend of mine has had problems with this issue, he worked at the Rothamsted Research Station In Harpendon that studies arable and other crops their work encompassed studies on oilseed rape.

People would overhear conversations he was having after work in the pub with colleagues and not understand what he meant by rape trials.

We sometimes call it canola oil but more commonly just rapeseed oil.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
crosswired
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 12:32:08 AM

Neurons: 130,231
I couldn't get it to accept "old".
Catlady
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2019 1:24:35 AM

Neurons: 142,954
There are lots of words that are within the rules that this game refuses to accept. And yet it accepts words that I would not use in polite speech. (I would not use them impolitely either...)

I guess I need to start a list.

Some are scientific or medical terms too.

I have heard of rapeseed/aka canola oil.

I never go to pubs, and people there use all kinds of words that I would find offensive.

I do like the game, and it is the only online game that I play. I just wish that more acceptable words would be added.

Of course, rape is not a nice thing. Pretending it does not exist is not nice to the victims.
365er
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2019 12:17:42 PM

Neurons: 24,036
Hi - how do I get the "Words Within Words" game - help appreciated!