The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Making 'translations' default search results Options
jodoole2011
Posted: Sunday, March 10, 2019 3:33:52 AM

Neurons: 50
Hi,

I'd like to use thefreedictionary.com as an English <-> Spanish dictionary; meaning that when I search a word in English I am looking for its Spanish translation, and when I search a word in Spanish I am looking for its English translation

But when I set my dictionary to Spanish (es.thefreedictionary.com) and I search a word in English, it gives me the English definition.

Is the only way to get a translation by searching a word and then scrolling down to "translations" in the results? Or is there instead a setting that will always show me the translation as the first result, rather than the definition of the word in the same language as the word?

Just to be clear, this is what I'm looking for:

if I search "hello", I want the first result to be "hola", and when I search "hola" I want the first result to be "hello"; is there any existing setting that enables this?

thanks in advance

Jen
TFD
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2019 12:52:19 PM

Hi Jen,

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately, there is currently no setting to achieve what you're describing.

When using the website, the quickest way to access the translation is to first search for the word and then click the translation shortcut near the top right side of the page (A→各).

We also offer an English-Spanish Translation Dictionary app for both Android and iPhone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farlex.translation.english.spanish

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/english-spanish-translation-dictionary-by-farlex/id1099887811?ls=1&mt=8