The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Are the questions and answers natural and appropriate? (4a) Options
DavidLearn
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 3:33:06 AM

Neurons: 23,850
Hi teachers,
This is part of an audio for the students. They don't have the text, just the questions.
information: Both, Amy and Lee, live in Beijing and now are talking about cycling there.

Amy: It seems as if the number of cars on the road has increased so much recently, and that makes the city very noisy and dangerous for cyclist.
Lee: It doesn't put me off riding my bike though. You just have to remember not to hesitate or slow down too much or you'll lose confidence.

My questions:
If the answer is correct, which question is better? I think letter "b"?
a) What advice does Lee give Amy to ride her bike in Beijing?
b) What advice does Lee give Amy for riding in Beijing?
To remember not to hesitate or slow down too much.

Is the question and its answer natural?
For Lee, what will happen if Amy doesn't follow his advice?
She will lose confidence.

Thanks.

FounDit
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 11:13:33 AM

Neurons: 54,701
DavidLearn wrote:
Hi teachers,
This is part of an audio for the students. They don't have the text, just the questions.
information: Both, Amy and Lee, live in Beijing and now are talking about cycling there.

Amy: It seems as if the number of cars on the road has increased so much recently, and that makes the city very noisy and dangerous for cyclist.
Lee: It doesn't put me off riding my bike though. You just have to remember not to hesitate or slow down too much or you'll lose confidence.

My questions:
If the answer is correct, which question is better? I think letter "b"? Yes, I agree. You could also very naturally say, "What advice does Lee give Amy about riding in Beijing".

Thanks.
The speed of travel and confidence don't seem to go together, however. It would seem that confidence would allow a person to travel fast, whereas a lack of confidence would cause someone to hesitate and go slow, which is the reverse of what is being said. In other words, you wouldn't lose your confidence because you go slow. You would go slow because you have no confidence.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
DavidLearn
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 12:49:49 PM

Neurons: 23,850
FounDit wrote:
My questions:
If the answer is correct, which question is better? I think letter "b"? Yes, I agree. You could also very naturally say, "What advice does Lee give Amy about riding in Beijing".

Thank you so much for your help and corrections, FounDit.

FounDit wrote:

The speed of travel and confidence don't seem to go together, however. It would seem that confidence would allow a person to travel fast, whereas a lack of confidence would cause someone to hesitate and go slow, which is the reverse of what is being said. In other words, you wouldn't lose your confidence because you go slow. You would go slow because you have no confidence.

That's true. I do appreciate that you have shared this thought as well. Angel

David.