The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

provide a suitable date and time vs suggest a different date (and time) Options
Carmenex
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:48:44 AM

Neurons: 5,507
Hi, I would please ask you which of the expressions in bold is more appropriate (if any) in the following (it is meant to be used in a formal setting):
Could you please contact me on [day of the week] in the morning, or (could you?) provide a suitable date and time when I can contact you?
Could you please contact me on [day of the week] in the morning, or (could you?) suggest a different date (and time) when I can contact you?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 12:09:53 PM

Neurons: 53,577
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you which of the expressions in bold is more appropriate (if any) in the following (it is meant to be used in a formal setting):
Could you please contact me on [day of the week] in the morning, or (could you?) provide a suitable date and time when I can contact you?
Could you please contact me on [day of the week] in the morning, or (could you?) suggest a different date (and time) when I can contact you?

"Could you please contact me on [day of the week], in the morning, ..."
or,
"could you provide a suitable date and time ..."
are both okay. But for a formal construction, I would change the last bit of wording. The reason for doing that is because you want the other person to contact you for a particular reason. That reason may also be to do something.

Could you please contact me on [day of the week], in the morning, to provide a suitable date and time for contacting/to contact you.

Could you please contact me on [day of the week], in the morning, to suggest a different date (and time) for contacting/to contact you?

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Carmenex
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 9:03:42 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

or,
are both okay. But for a formal construction, I would change the last bit of wording. The reason for doing that is because you want the other person to contact you for a particular reason. That reason may also be to do something.

Could you please contact me on [day of the week], in the morning, to provide a suitable date and time for contacting/to contact you.

Could you please contact me on [day of the week], in the morning, to suggest a different date (and time) for contacting/to contact you?

Hi FounDit, and thank for your suggestions. Actually, I meant something a bit different; that expression is used in a letter with the meaning of: could you please (contact me by phone)/(phone me) on [day of the week], in the morning, or (could you, do you need?) indicate/suggest [by letter] a different date (and time) when I can (contact you by phone)/(phone you)?
What modifications would you suggest about it?
I would also please ask you what the difference between miss a (phone) call and cannot answer a (phone) call is?
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:53:23 PM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

or,

Hi FounDit, and thank for your suggestions. Actually, I meant something a bit different; that expression is used in a letter with the meaning of: could you please (contact me by phone)/(phone me) on [day of the week], in the morning, or (could you, do you need?) indicate/suggest [by letter] a different date (and time) when I can (contact you by phone)/(phone you)?
You have confused me a bit, or I'm being thick-headed this morning (meaning my mind isn't sharp). I had to read it 2 or 3 times to understand what you meant.

If I understand you correctly, you're asking for a way to seek communication, either by phone, or letter, for a date and time when you can contact the other person.

If I have that right, then I would suggest:

Could you please contact me by phone on [day of the week], in the morning, or by a letter, for a date and time when I can contact you by phone?

I would also please ask you what the difference between miss a (phone) call and cannot answer a (phone) call is?
"Miss a phone" call usually means not being near your phone and hearing it ring. And "cannot answer a call" would be used to indicate someone was busy, perhaps in a meeting, and could not take the call.

That said, both are often used as an excuse for not answering the phone. A person may have been sleeping, on the toilet, having sex, arguing with a spouse or partner, or just didn't feel like talking at the moment, and these excuses will often be used just to be polite.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Carmenex
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:09:36 PM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

or,

You have confused me a bit, or I'm being thick-headed this morning (meaning my mind isn't sharp). I had to read it 2 or 3 times to understand what you meant.

If I understand you correctly, you're asking for a way to seek communication, either by phone, or letter, for a date and time when you can contact the other person.

Could you please contact me by phone on [day of the week], in the morning, or by a letter, for a date and time when I can contact you by phone?

"Miss a phone" call usually means not being near your phone and hearing it ring. And "cannot answer a call" would be used to indicate someone was busy, perhaps in a meeting, and could not take the call.

That said, both are often used as an excuse for not answering the phone. A person may have been sleeping, on the toilet, having sex, arguing with a spouse or partner, or just didn't feel like talking at the moment, and these excuses will often be used just to be polite.

No, sorry, FounDit; I meant to say, in my letter to them, that they can phone me on [day of the week], in the morning; however, if they cannot on that day, they can reply to my letter specifying a date and time when I can phone them.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 1:38:49 PM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

or,

No, sorry, FounDit; I meant to say, in my letter to them, that they can phone me on [day of the week], in the morning; however, if they cannot on that day, they can reply to my letter specifying a date and time when I can phone them.
Ah, okay. Well, there are several ways to ask this. One might be:

"If at all possible, could you please phone me on, [day of the week], in the morning, for a suitable date and time when I can contact you?

If a call is not possible, would you please correspond with a letter for such a date and time when I can contact you?"

Carmenex
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 10:51:28 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

or,

"If at all possible, could you please phone me on, [day of the week], in the morning, for a suitable date and time when I can contact you?

If a call is not possible, would you please correspond with a letter for such a date and time when I can contact you?"

Thank you, FounDit. Actually, the reason why they should contact me is to discuss some issues, but they are aware of that. Can, therefore, the sentence be modified, as follows:
If at all possible, could you please phone me on, [day of the week], in the morning; if it is not possible, could you please specify such a date and time when I can contact you?
FounDit
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 11:00:03 AM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

or,

Thank you, FounDit. Actually, the reason why they should contact me is to discuss some issues, but they are aware of that. Can, therefore, the sentence be modified, as follows:
If at all possible, could you please phone me on, [day of the week], in the morning; if it is not possible, could you please specify such a date and time when I can contact you?

Sure, that would work, I think. I might simplify it just a bit.

If possible, could you please phone me on, [day of the week], in the morning? If that's inconvenient, or not possible, could you please specify such a date and time when I can contact you?

Carmenex
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:12:09 AM

Thank you, FounDit. In your opinion, are the expressions in bold correct in the following sentences (which are meant to be used in a formal setting):
Regardless of whether/(the fact that) an exam (is required)/(you need to take) an exam (or not), (do you know)/(are you aware) whether the degree would be recognized in such countries as X, Y, Z, ...
Sorry, I missed your call. What did you need to talk to/with me about?
Romany
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:35:54 PM

Neurons: 47,627
Business communications are expected to be factual and short. No-one has the time in a busy day to go poring over long, involved sentences.

No native speaker - especially a business person - would say "...On tuesday, in the morning." They'd say - and write - "Tuesday morning."

They wouldn't go into complicated /compound sentences - it's just not the way biz-speak (corporate jargon) works.

"Could you please phone me on Tuesday morning. If this isn't possible, please advise a convenient time at which I can contact you." "a convenient time" wipes out the need for "If this isn't conventient or not possible ('if this isn't possible) could you please specify such a date and time at which I can contact you, (please advise a convenient time for me to contact you.)

Short & factual. Because time is money and people resent wasting time.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 12:42:38 PM

Carmenex wrote:
Thank you, FounDit. In your opinion, are the expressions in bold correct in the following sentences (which are meant to be used in a formal setting):
Regardless of whether/(the fact that) an exam (is required)/(you need to take) an exam (or not), (do you know)/(are you aware) whether the degree would be recognized in such countries as X, Y, Z, ...

You could say,

"Regardless of whether an exam is required or not"

or

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required/you need to take an exam"

or

"Regardless of whether or not an exam is required/you need to take an exam"

All of these can work.

For the next part, I think "do you know" and "are you aware" both work fine, but I would substitute the word "if" for "whether". I think it reads better that way.

Lastly, you might hear both words used, "with" and "to", but my personal preference is "to".

Carmenex
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 8:40:09 PM

Romany wrote:
Business communications are expected to be factual and short. No-one has the time in a busy day to go poring over long, involved sentences.

No native speaker - especially a business person - would say "...On tuesday, in the morning." They'd say - and write - "Tuesday morning."

They wouldn't go into complicated /compound sentences - it's just not the way biz-speak (corporate jargon) works.

"Could you please phone me on Tuesday morning. If this isn't possible, please advise a convenient time at which I can contact you." "a convenient time" wipes out the need for "If this isn't conventient or not possible ('if this isn't possible) could you please specify such a date and time at which I can contact you, (please advise a convenient time for me to contact you.)

Short & factual. Because time is money and people resent wasting time.

Hi Romany, and thank you for your advice.
Carmenex
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 10:44:59 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

You could say,

or

or

All of these can work.

For the next part, I think "do you know" and "are you aware" both work fine, but I would substitute the word "if" for "whether". I think it reads better that way.

Lastly, you might hear both words used, "with" and "to", but my personal preference is "to".

Thank you, FounDit. Only one question: with regard to the second option for the first part of the sentence, did you mean:

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required or not/you need to take an exam or you do not"?
FounDit
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 11:18:41 AM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

You could say,

or

or

All of these can work.

Thank you, FounDit. Only one question: with regard to the second option for the first part of the sentence, did you mean:

"Regardless of the fact an exam is required or not/you need to take an exam or you do not"?

As I read it, the main idea in the first part is: "regardless of the fact whether an exam is required or not". This means that there should be no regard given to the fact, or idea, or an exam. If an exam is required, you would have to take it. If an exam is not required, then no problem. But the idea expressed is that this is not important. You do not regard that fact either way. The important part is: do you know if the degree is acceptable in countries x, y, and z?

Carmenex
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 10:48:15 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

You could say,

or

or

All of these can work.

As I read it, the main idea in the first part is: "regardless of the fact whether an exam is required or not". This means that there should be no regard given to the fact, or idea, or an exam. If an exam is required, you would have to take it. If an exam is not required, then no problem. But the idea expressed is that this is not important. You do not regard that fact either way. The important part is: do you know if the degree is acceptable in countries x, y, and z?

I agree, FounDit, with you about the meaning of the sentence, I would only please ask you why you included or not in "Regardless of whether an exam is required or not", but omitted it in "Regardless of the fact an exam is required/you need to take an exam"?
FounDit
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 11:14:17 AM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

You could say,

or

or

All of these can work.

I agree, FounDit, with you about the meaning of the sentence, I would only please ask you why you included or not in "Regardless of whether an exam is required or not", but omitted it in "Regardless of the fact an exam is required/you need to take an exam"?

I was simply offering you two ways to say the same thing.
For example:
Regardless of whether or not the car is a Lotus, take it to be washed.
Regardless of the make of the car, take it to be washed.

In both cases, you are saying to someone they should have no regard to what kind of car it is. In your example, you are saying they should have no regard for an exam.

Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:22:33 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

You could say,

or

or

All of these can work.

I was simply offering you two ways to say the same thing.
For example:
Regardless of whether or not the car is a Lotus, take it to be washed.
Regardless of the make of the car, take it to be washed.

In both cases, you are saying to someone they should have no regard to what kind of car it is. In your example, you are saying they should have no regard for an exam.

Thank you, FounDit. I have now gotten it (is that expression correct?).
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:53:24 AM

The most common expressions are:
I've got it now.
I have it now.
or, sometimes simply saying, "got it," meaning I understand.