The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It is cool/cooling here. Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 6:13:58 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/4/2012
Posts: 5,243
Neurons: 21,647
It is cool here.
It is cooling here.

Do the sentences have the same meaning?

Thanks.
thar
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 6:17:31 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 19,834
Neurons: 80,175
No.

It is cool here - a state. It is hot outside, but it is cool here. 'It' as a dummy pronoun describes the state of 'here'.

There is a cooling breeze here. The breeze cools you if you sit here, so it is a comfortable place to sit.
But 'it' is not cooling here. That is not the state of 'here'.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 6:33:59 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 43,030
Neurons: 506,178
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Helsinki is one of the first cities in the world to have introduced the central cooling, with the same pipes they use for central heating. That's cool.


In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Koh Elaine
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 8:29:39 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/4/2012
Posts: 5,243
Neurons: 21,647
thar wrote:
No.

It is cool here - a state. It is hot outside, but it is cool here. 'It' as a dummy pronoun describes the state of 'here'.

There is a cooling breeze here. The breeze cools you if you sit here, so it is a comfortable place to sit.
But 'it' is not cooling here. That is not the state of 'here'.

Thanks, thar.
hedy mmm
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 10:00:06 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/29/2014
Posts: 1,275
Neurons: 616,182
Location: Borough of Bronx, New York, United States
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Helsinki is one of the first cities in the world to have introduced the central cooling, with the same pipes they use for central heating.
That's cool.

I like that Jyrkkä Jätkä it is 'very cool'! Applause
(Of course, not in NY where the temps have been in the single digits...brrrrrrr!) d'oh!



"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 10:15:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/3/2016
Posts: 1,463
Neurons: 77,737
Location: Jandiāla Guru, Punjab, India
(Of course, not in NY where the temps have been in the single digits...brrrrrrr!)

brrrrrrr....Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

I like the style.


Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
hedy mmm
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 5:46:49 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/29/2014
Posts: 1,275
Neurons: 616,182
Location: Borough of Bronx, New York, United States
Ashwin wrote:
(Of course, not in NY where the temps have been in the single digits...
brrrrrrr....Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

I like the style.


Yikes! Ashwin, you like the style?... of writer or of weather or? d'oh!

I wonder what kind of temperatures are in exotic lands such as Jandiāla Guru in Punjab? Think
...probably around 50°F, possibly fog...does anybody know? Think

While here in New York it's 30°F...cold enough to "freeze the hair off a frog". Brick wall
The only redeeming quality in all this is that on February 2nd, Punxsutawney Phil, (the groundhog) did predict we will NOT have 6 more weeks of winter!! Yeah!
He's been predicting since 1887, with a 35% chance of being right...but who cares? We believe him 100% of the time...We think "He's COOL"
?..and I IS ready for Spring!
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing



"God graced us with today....don't waste it." hedy
palapaguy
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2019 11:02:46 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/28/2013
Posts: 1,566
Neurons: 12,830
Location: Calabasas, California, United States
hedy mmm wrote:
Ashwin wrote:
(Of course, not in NY where the temps have been in the single digits...
brrrrrrr....Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing

I like the style.


Yikes! Ashwin, you like the style?... of writer or of weather or? d'oh!

I wonder what kind of temperatures are in exotic lands such as Jandiāla Guru in Punjab? Think
...probably around 50°F, possibly fog...does anybody know? Think

While here in New York it's 30°F...cold enough to "freeze the hair off a frog". Brick wall
The only redeeming quality in all this is that on February 2nd, Punxsutawney Phil, (the groundhog) did predict we will NOT have 6 more weeks of winter!! Yeah!
He's been predicting since 1887, with a 35% chance of being right...but who cares? We believe him 100% of the time...We think "He's COOL"
?..and I IS ready for Spring!
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing


Yeah, well ... all those denuded frogs and Punxsutawney Phil are among the reasons I bailed from Philly, many years ago. I've since lived among the palm trees and swimming pools. <sigh!> Dancing
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 4:41:37 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 43,030
Neurons: 506,178
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Sometimes it might happen that the weather here turns strange. Then we need cooling. We are not used to constant heat. Except in sauna ;-)



Celcius, not Fahrenheit.


In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
RuthP
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 7:05:05 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/2/2009
Posts: 5,414
Neurons: 87,603
Location: Drain, Oregon, United States
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Sometimes it might happen that the weather here turns strange. Then we need cooling. We are not used to constant heat. Except in sauna ;-)



Celcius, not Fahrenheit.

Is that current?? Good grief! In Celsius, we've been running 0 to, say 7. That's roughly normal for us this time of year. It can be colder, but usually not for long. January, however, we had several 10s, which is definitely abnormal.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2019 12:32:42 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 43,030
Neurons: 506,178
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Not in winter, Ruth ;-)

Now we have some zero grades, which is quite warm.


In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2019 4:37:59 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 43,030
Neurons: 506,178
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Oops! I used the wrong term. It's district cooling.


In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
RuthP
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2019 11:51:31 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/2/2009
Posts: 5,414
Neurons: 87,603
Location: Drain, Oregon, United States
You relieve my mind, JJ! I could not imagine Finland with midwinter temperatures I would expect to see here in much of the (non-extreme part of) summer.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.