The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is the question and answers natural? (8) Options
DavidLearn
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 2:22:09 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/27/2014
Posts: 3,485
Neurons: 23,784
Location: Girona, Catalonia, Spain
Hi teachers,
This is part of an audio for the students. They don't have the text, just the questions.

Lee and Amy both live in Beijing and are having a conversation about cycling there.
Amy: My mom sent me a newspaper article about cycling in Beijing. It said that a quarter of the population own a bike. That's 3 million out of 12 million. It's amazing!

Is the question and answer natural? I think from the question I can get both answers.
What does Amy say is astonishing?
a) That a quarter of the population own a bike in Beijing.
b) That 3 million out of 12 million own a bike in Beijing.

Thanks.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 2:43:52 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 1,321
Neurons: 8,344
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
Both the fraction of people that own a bicycle and the total number of bikes in a single city.

In the UK only around 4% of people use a bicycle regularly according to EU statistics.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
DavidLearn
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 2:53:07 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/27/2014
Posts: 3,485
Neurons: 23,784
Location: Girona, Catalonia, Spain
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Both the fraction of people that own a bicycle and the total number of bikes in a single city.

Hi Sarrriesfan.
I appreciate your help. Then both replies are possible.

Sarrriesfan wrote:
In the UK only around 4% of people use a bicycle regularly according to EU statistics.

In Spain statistics say that 31% of people use it. I'm quite surprise about that and hard to believe it.

David.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 3:54:22 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 1,321
Neurons: 8,344
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
DavidLearn wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Both the fraction of people that own a bicycle and the total number of bikes in a single city.

Hi Sarrriesfan.
I appreciate your help. Then both replies are possible.

Sarrriesfan wrote:
In the UK only around 4% of people use a bicycle regularly according to EU statistics.

In Spain statistics say that 31% of people use it. I'm quite surprise about that and hard to believe it.

David.


The UK has one of the worst rates of cycle usage in Europe.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/campaigns-guide/cycling-levels-in-european-countries

Only 4% cycle everyday, 10% every week and 69% of people never cycle at all.

Our infrastructure is not well designed for cycling on and other road users like cars and lorries often not very sympathetic.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 4:05:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,631
Neurons: 54,676
DavidLearn wrote:
Hi teachers,
This is part of an audio for the students. They don't have the text, just the questions.

Lee and Amy both live in Beijing and are having a conversation about cycling there.
Amy: My mom sent me a newspaper article about cycling in Beijing. It said that a quarter of the population own a bike. That's 3 million out of 12 million. It's amazing!

Is the question and answer natural? I think from the question I can get both answers.
What does Amy say is astonishing?
a) That a quarter of the population own a bike in Beijing.
b) That 3 million out of 12 million own a bike in Beijing.

Thanks.


I agree that you might get both answers. Some students might answer with a, and some with b. Some might give you both, but I think that is unlikely.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
DavidLearn
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 5:51:51 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/27/2014
Posts: 3,485
Neurons: 23,784
Location: Girona, Catalonia, Spain
Sarrriesfan wrote:
Our infrastructure is not well designed for cycling on and other road users like cars and lorries often not very sympathetic.

Just give yourself and them time and things will change for sure.

David.
DavidLearn
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2019 5:53:42 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/27/2014
Posts: 3,485
Neurons: 23,784
Location: Girona, Catalonia, Spain
FounDit wrote:
I agree that you might get both answers. Some students might answer with a, and some with b. Some might give you both, but I think that is unlikely.

Thanks for your help as well, FounDit. I'll let you know.

David.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.