The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is 'from' the correct preposition? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 2:07:46 PM

Neurons: 18,852
My friend has been admitted to hospital and is now in the Intensive Care Unit. I consoled his wife (also a friend of mine), saying I hope he will be out from the Intensive Care Unit soon.

Is 'from' the correct preposition?

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 2:30:10 PM

Neurons: 52,722
Koh Elaine wrote:
My friend has been admitted to hospital and is now in the Intensive Care Unit. I consoled his wife (also a friend of mine), saying I hope he will be out from the Intensive Care Unit soon.

Is 'from' the correct preposition?

Thanks.

No, not normally. A native speaker would likely say "out of Intensive Care soon".

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
ozok
Posted: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:26:52 PM

Neurons: 1,218

It may sound a little formal but it would be OK to say:

"...discharged from Intensive Care soon".

just sayin'
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 12:07:27 AM

Neurons: 314,052
I would say 'out of ICU'. "Discharged" is, however, more common as ozok says.

Using 'from' gives a sense of someone physically coming out from the room. It can be a patient or a doctor or a nurse.
Using 'of' implies the patient is no longer admitted to ICU and is discharged from that unit.

The nurse came out from the ICU and informed the relatives about improving condition of the patient.

The patient was brought out from the ICU and taken to the other room for some tests. (He is not released from the ICU yet; will be shifted after the tests.)

My father has come out of ICU and is now recuperating in the general ward.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
palapaguy
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 1:00:48 AM

Neurons: 11,581
Agree with srirr. However, "of" and "from" are virtually interchangeable in this usage. The difference between them is interesting to very few of us.
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 5:38:44 PM

Neurons: 70,111
"Out of" would definitely be more common. "Out from" could be used and would be understood, but I truly doubt you would hear a native AE speaker use it. The usual sentence would be something like this:
I hope he (gets out of)(comes out of) the ICU soon.

"Discharged from" is a different matter. "Discharged from" is usually reserved for leaving the institution (U.S. usage; this may differ in a UK-type hospital system). You may hear people say "discharged from an ICU to a (general) nursing (floor)(unit)", but this is more properly a "transfer". (A patient is not discharged directly from an ICU to home. Coming out of the ICU, the patient will still need care to recover to a point where it is safe to come home.)
Koh Elaine
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 11:24:37 AM

Neurons: 18,852
Thanks, everybody.