The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

two past perfects? Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 9:16:44 AM

Neurons: 5,506
- Why didn't you tell me that Jane called yesterday? You saw the missed call on my mobile.
- I thought you had checked on incoming calls yourself since she had called you yesterday...

Acceptable?
Marek Guman
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 10:30:17 AM

Neurons: 1,467,282
"- I thought you had checked on incoming calls yourself since she had called you yesterday..."

I think it is not correct, at least the first sentence, because "The past perfect tense expresses the idea that something occurred before another action in the past. It can also show that something happened before a specific time in the past."

The action in the first sentence could occur only after the action of the second sentence took place. Also, the context is not very clear, second sentence implying that the first person knew Jane has called.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 11:34:47 AM

Neurons: 190,137
It sounds "OK", but the second past perfect is not really needed (and neither is "yourself").
The past perfect is used for the first incident in time sequence, then the simple past for the second.
Quote:

These two tenses are both used to talk about things that happened in the past. However we use past perfect to talk about something that happened before another action in the past, which is usually expressed by the past simple.

For example:

"I had already eaten my dinner when he called."
In other words, first I ate my dinner, then he called.

- I thought you had checked on incoming calls yourself since she had called you yesterday...
Here you have three incidents
1. She called
2. you checked (or didn't check, it's only a possibility - but one of them happened, you did or you didn't)
3. I thought about you having checked.

So, OK you could use the past perfect for the earlier ones and the simple past for 'thought'.

However, the word "since" also explains sequence.
It's not normal to use both "since" and the past perfect. Most normal is the perfect and simple past, but two simple pasts can also be used.
I've had dinner since I met you this morning.
I had dinner since I met you this morning.

I had had dinner since I met you thins morning.

So I would have said:
- I thought you had checked on incoming calls since she called you yesterday...

The quote is from the English Language Centre.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:18:15 PM

Neurons: 5,506
OK. This one is OK. - I thought you had checked on incoming calls since she called you yesterday...

You also say that:
So, OK you could use the past perfect for the earlier ones and the simple past for 'thought'.

I thought you had checked on incoming calls since she had called you yesterday...

Is the latter possible? But a bit worse?

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 12:59:31 PM

Neurons: 190,137
Someone who knows 'official grammar' better than I do may change this - but I think:
"checked" comes before "thought" so that's OK, and
"called" comes before "checked".

I'm pretty sure you will hear this 'double past perfect' in conversation - but it's not quite so good as the other.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Marek Guman
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 1:31:15 PM

Neurons: 1,467,282
Thanks for correcting me Drag0nspeaker, I didn't realize the first sentence is actually "I thought".