The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A Bit of Science - A Bit of Culture Options
FounDit
Posted: Monday, December 24, 2018 2:38:36 PM

Neurons: 60,585
On my profile page, I say my interests are psychology, philosophy, thought-provoking discussions.

In line with that, I thought to share two articles I found interesting. The first may be of particular interest to Epiphileon, the second is just general interest, I think, but a topic I believe is very important.

The Empty Brain

First Learn to be Alone

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Epiphileon
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2018 6:43:18 AM

Neurons: 164,994
FounDit wrote:
On my profile page, I say my interests are psychology, philosophy, thought-provoking discussions.

In line with that, I thought to share two articles I found interesting. The first may be of particular interest to Epiphileon, the second is just general interest, I think, but a topic I believe is very important.

The Empty Brain

First Learn to be Alone

"The Empty Brain" article is fascinating. His recounting of the various metaphors for mentality tied to the various advances in technology had me wondering if he has read Jaynes, but then again it is fairly obvious upon any historical review of the issue.

As for the rest of what he says it is going to take some serious consideration and a number of reads it seems. I have long said that the computer analogy is faulty and even misleading; however, there are a few definite errors in his complete dismissal of the IP model of mental function. I'm not sure how one can say as it seems he does, that the brain never operates as an information processor. The temptation to dismiss out of hand his assertion that there are no algorithms in mentality is very strong; however, I want to be sure I understand his entire notion before deciding on that.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 11:57:45 AM

Neurons: 60,585
Epiphileon wrote:
FounDit wrote:

The Empty Brain

First Learn to be Alone

"The Empty Brain" article is fascinating. His recounting of the various metaphors for mentality tied to the various advances in technology had me wondering if he has read Jaynes, but then again it is fairly obvious upon any historical review of the issue.

As for the rest of what he says it is going to take some serious consideration and a number of reads it seems. I have long said that the computer analogy is faulty and even misleading; however, there are a few definite errors in his complete dismissal of the IP model of mental function. I'm not sure how one can say as it seems he does, that the brain never operates as an information processor. The temptation to dismiss out of hand his assertion that there are no algorithms in mentality is very strong; however, I want to be sure I understand his entire notion before deciding on that.

Unless I misunderstood him, I took the error of the IP analogy to mean that the brain does not have a set response, or program, in processing information i.e, a common "program", because each of us process from a unique perspective, and in a unique way.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
will
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2018 11:20:18 AM

Neurons: 4,830
Another interesting article here