The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

snow mountain, snowy mountain or a better word option Options
robjen
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 5:43:25 PM

Neurons: 3,436
I don't know the correct word or adjective to say this.

My friend has never seen snow in his life. He wants to travel to countries like the UK, USA, or Canada and see the snow in a mountain. I am going to make up a sentence about this.

(ex) My friend is planning to visit a snow mountain (or a snowy mountain) in the in the winter.

Do you say "snow mountain", "snowy mountain" or something that makes more sense?

Thanks a lot.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 5:58:10 PM

Neurons: 7,700
robjen wrote:
I don't know the correct word or adjective to say this.

My friend has never seen snow in his life. He wants to travel to countries like the UK, USA, or Canada and see the snow on a mountain. I am going to make up a sentence about this.
The snow is not in the mountain but is on the surface of it.

(ex) My friend is planning to visit a snow mountain (or a snowy mountain) in the in the winter.

Do you say "snow mountain", "snowy mountain" or something that makes more sense?

Thanks a lot.

It's quite common to talk of a "snow capped mountain" or a "snow covered mountain".

Incidentally a person should not come to the UK to see snow our climate is often too warm for it to settle except in some fairly remote places such as the Cairngorms.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
thar
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 6:03:20 PM

Neurons: 74,837
Where you have an adjective (snowy) you use that to describe how something looks.

Then the attributive noun is used to describe what something is made of. A snow mountain would be a mountain made of snow - ie a big pile of snow, all shovelled into one place. A mountain is made of rock, and it is only covered in snow, so it is not a snow mountain.