The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Definitions of 'nouns' or 'adjectives' expressed as 'state of being+P.P, adjective' in dictionaries Options
A cooperator
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:07:24 PM

Neurons: 11,014
Hi Everyone!
First of all, I hope you consider looking at the colours to understand me if I couldn't make my question be understood.
Whenever looking up a word, 'noun' or 'adjective' in a dictionary, and finding its definition is expressed in words like 'the state or condition of being +P.P/adjective', I get confused whether this sort of meaning can be found specifically for 'nouns' or 'adjectives'.

For instance, in the English oxforddictionaries.com, the definitions of the noun words in order, 'upset', 'going', are expressed as 'the state of being +P.P'. However, the definition of 'ascendancy' is expressed as 'the state of being + adjective'
However, the definition of the word 'moveless' (an adjective) is expressed as 'the state of being +P.P. The definitions of other nouns, such as 'strait' can be expressed as a state of extreme distress. However, the definition of other nouns, such as 'distress', can be expressed as none of the above sorts of definitions, for instance the definition of 'distress'(noun): extreme anxiety, sorrow, or pain') where there is no expressions of definitions as I mentioned 'the state of being +P.P/adjective'

You might see it as simple as the difference between a plant and seed, but I am really confused them.
For instance, do you think that 'Definition of "moveless"(Adjective): Not moving or capable of moving or being moved." can be expressed as 'The state of being not moved.'? So, I'll get this definition 'the state or condition of being +P.P expressed for an adjective as well.

Nouns:-
Definition 'Upset'(noun): the state of being upset./ the act of upsetting.
Definition of 'Going' (noun) : An act of leaving a place; a departure
the state of being gone. (an occasion when someone leaves a place or job permanently)

Definition of 'Ascendancy' (noun): the condition of being dominant, esp through superior economic or political power.
Definition of 'movelessness'(noun): (literary) the state or condition of being motionless or immobile.

Definition of 'straits' (noun): a state of extreme distress.

Definition of 'distress'(noun): extreme anxiety, sorrow, or pain.

Adjectives:-
Definition of "moveless"(Adjective): Not moving or capable of moving or being moved.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:22:19 PM

Neurons: 51,912
A cooperator wrote:
Hi Everyone!
First of all, I hope you consider looking at the colours to understand me if I couldn't make my question be understood.
Whenever looking up a word, 'noun' or 'adjective' in a dictionary, and finding its definition is expressed in words like 'the state or condition of being +P.P/adjective', I get confused whether this sort of meaning can be found specifically for 'nouns' or 'adjectives'.

For instance, in the English oxforddictionaries.com, the definitions of the noun words in order, 'upset', 'going', are expressed as 'the state of being +P.P'. However, the definition of 'ascendancy' is expressed as 'the state of being + adjective'
However, the definition of the word 'moveless' (an adjective) is expressed as 'the state of being +P.P. The definitions of other nouns, such as 'strait' can be expressed as a state of extreme distress. However, the definition of other nouns, such as 'distress', can be expressed as none of the above sorts of definitions, for instance the definition of 'distress'(noun): extreme anxiety, sorrow, or pain') where there is no expressions of definitions as I mentioned 'the state of being +P.P/adjective'

You might see it as simple as the difference between a plant and seed, but I am really confused them.
For instance, do you think that 'Definition of "moveless"(Adjective): Not moving or capable of moving or being moved." can be expressed as 'The state of being not moved.'? So, I'll get this definition 'the state or condition of being +P.P expressed for an adjective as well.

Nouns:-
Definition 'Upset'(noun): the state of being upset./ the act of upsetting. It isn't the "act" of upsetting, it is the state of being upset. It is the same as I am hungry/sleepy/tired, etc.

Definition of 'Going' (noun) : An act of leaving a place; a departure
the state of being gone. (an occasion when someone leaves a place or job permanently)
"Going" as a noun isn't the act of leaving a place. That would be a verb. What you mean by "going" is the state of going. "The going is difficult" would be the same as saying, "The "journey" is difficult/The travel is difficult."
You are describing the thing, not the action.

Definition of 'Ascendancy' (noun): the condition of being dominant, esp through superior economic or political power.
Correct. It is the description of a thing that occupies a place of ascendancy.

Definition of 'movelessness'(noun): (literary) the state or condition of being motionless or immobile.
Right. It is a condition, a state, a "thing" -movelessness.

Definition of 'straits' (noun): a state of extreme distress.

Definition of 'distress'(noun): extreme anxiety, sorrow, or pain.
When you are in a dire strait, you experience extreme distress. One describes the state (strait), and the other describes what is experienced (distress).

Adjectives:-
Definition of "moveless"(Adjective): Not moving or capable of moving or being moved.
A person, place, or thing is "moveless", so it is an adjective.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
thar
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 8:49:35 AM

Neurons: 73,859
I would ignore 'moveless' as a word, except maybe in chess where you can't make a move.

Think of examples of this word in your own experience - do you find any, anywhere?

Does anybody else?

There is an adjective 'motionless' for something not moving, and 'immovable' for something that can't be moved, but I have never heard of the word 'moveless'.
I doubt you will ever meet it in your language use, so it is not really a good use of your time to worry about the dictionary definition.

The Oxford Dictionary takes the line that if people have used it, then it qualifies as a word.
Quote:

moveless
ADJECTIVE
literary
Not moving or capable of moving or being moved.

Example sentences
‘Recollecting the day he saw Napoleon on the street, the poet imagines what must be the tumult of thoughts behind Caesar's moveless mask-the cities, the factories, the armies rising in the conqueror's dream of power.’
‘I leaned toward her later and I looked at her moveless lips reading.’
‘The frigate turned around glowing with jet engines, aimed at the center of the moveless Galaxy spiral whirlpool and started gaining speed.’
‘Their choreographed turning of backs left me speechless and moveless so I limped to my lamely un-costumed friend and told him that I was leaving.’
‘How can the mind, which speaks and sports, become moveless?’

Literary or bollocks - sometimes there is a fine line. Sometimes the distinction is very clear!
What is a moveless whirlpool? Whistle

The Cambridge Dictionary takes the line of 'it is not a real word'.
Quote:
Search suggestions for moveless
We have these words with similar spellings or pronunciations:

1loveless
2motiveless
3smokeless
4boneless
5homeless
6hopeless
7moonless
8toneless
9movements
10nerveless

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 2:37:09 PM

Neurons: 182,147
I agree that 'moveless' is (in normal English) a non-word.
Maybe a few literary people used it once or twice each - just to be different from 'normal people'.
"Moving" is the positive adjective, gerund and participle.
"Motionless" is a negative adjective. The opposite of the adjective 'moving'.
"Motionlessness" is the 'negative noun' (the state of being motionless) - opposite of the gerund 'moving' and the noun 'motion'
"Unmoving" is a negative adjective equivalent to the opposite of the adjective 'moving'. It is not used as a participle (there is no verb 'to unmove').

I disagree (just on one point) with FounDit.
Quote:
"Going" as a noun isn't the act of leaving a place.
It is used to mean that.

His departure caused great surprise. (People were surprised that he left.)
His leaving caused great surprise.

Maybe it's not used in American English - I don't know. However, it is definitely common in British (Oxford Dictionary) English.

I agree with the rest of his post.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!