The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Taking a deep breath he went Options
Nikitus
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:48:37 PM

Neurons: 1,804
Hello

Once again, thanks for all your help and time.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"Taking a deep breath he went to the kitchen. When he was heading towards that place, he hited, accidentally, something with his feet. Upon finding his precious snickers, he felt relieved and went back to his daily routine. Before leaving, Jeff went to his room and looked directly in the mirror."

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:43:53 PM

Neurons: 51,966
Nikitus wrote:
Hello

Once again, thanks for all your help and time.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?
There are several problems.

"Taking a deep breath he went to the kitchen. When he was heading towards that place, he hited [there is no word like this in English. The word you should use is "hit". He hit something with his foot, not feet. Feet would mean he hit something with both of his feet, and that couldn't happen], accidentally, something with his feet. Upon finding his precious snickers [I think you mean "sneakers". Snickers/snicker/snickering all mean a short laugh. There is also a candy bar named "Snickers" made of chocolate, peanuts and caramel]., he felt relieved and went back to his daily routine. Before leaving, Jeff went to his room and looked directly in the mirror."
These sentences don't have a natural sound to them in English.

Thanks.

The first sentence is ok, but it would be better to say he headed/walked toward the kitchen so you can say what happened on the way. The second sentence should tell you about what happened "as" he was was going to the kitchen. He hit his foot on something, or you could say he "bumped" something with his foot. Then mention his relief at finding it/them. Perhaps you can put them under the edge of the bed where they might not be seen easily. Finally, a better way to speak about the mirror is to say that he checked his image in the mirror, or he looked at himself in the mirror to check his appearance to see if everything was okay.

"Taking a deep breath, he headed toward the kitchen. As he turned to walk that way, his foot hit something on the floor under the edge of the bed. It was one of the sneakers he had been searching for. Relieved at finding them, he went back to his daily routine. Before leaving, however, he checked his appearance in the mirror one last time."

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 2:50:10 AM

Neurons: 7,347
As a diabetic there have been a few times when finding a snickers was more precious to me than a pair of shoes.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 1:03:10 PM

Neurons: 51,966
Sarrriesfan wrote:
As a diabetic there have been a few times when finding a snickers was more precious to me than a pair of shoes.

LOL...Applause Applause Applause A funny line, though diabetes itself is not funny.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 2:42:48 PM

Neurons: 7,347
FounDit wrote:
Sarrriesfan wrote:

LOL...Applause Applause Applause A funny line, though diabetes itself is not funny.

As the song says
"You have to laugh or else you cry
You have to live or else you die"

Making jokes about serious things is one way to cope.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 5:30:19 AM

Neurons: 46,162

Sarries - as I've mentioned before: according to my mother and most of that generation who went through the war that I met, having a sense of humour (not strategies or guns or tanks!) was what got the Brits through WW2!

It would seem that "You gotta larf" became quite the catch-phrase for that generation.