The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

''will'' or ''would'' Options
ullas84
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:31:05 AM

Neurons: 95
''My calculations were based on the assumption that the house prices would remain steady''

İn the sentence above ''would'' is used in the second part of the sentence.

I understand it , do not have any grammar question about it .

However if the sentence was in simple present tense what would be the tense in the second part?

''My calculations are based on the assumption that the house prices (will or would) remain steady''

İt makes me feel confused because we are talking about future so ''will'' is correct to use and at the same time situation is hypotethical(assumption) so ''would'' is

correct to use.

???
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 12:20:22 PM

Neurons: 51,966
ullas84 wrote:
''My calculations were based on the assumption that the house prices would remain steady''

İn the sentence above ''would'' is used in the second part of the sentence.

I understand it , do not have any grammar question about it .

However if the sentence was in simple present tense what would be the tense in the second part?

''My calculations are based on the assumption that the house prices (will or would) remain steady''

İt makes me feel confused because we are talking about future so ''will'' is correct to use and at the same time situation is hypotethical(assumption) so ''would'' is

correct to use.

???

Actually, you are not talking about the future, but are talking about the present. Notice that the calculations are [now] based on the assumption that housing prices will [now and into the future] remain steady. So both consider the present time as the tense to be used.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit