The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

This is window grills. Options
bihunsedap
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 8:29:18 PM

Neurons: 6,726
He pointed the window grills and asked me.

"What is this?"

"This is window grills. It prevents thief come inside."

Do we called it window grill?
palapaguy
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 8:33:22 PM

Neurons: 11,310
bihunsedap wrote:

"What is this?"

Window bars is a common term.
https://www.google.com/search?q=window+bars&client=ubuntu&hs=ACN&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk3568g4XfAhUM658KHTdzBJAQ_AUIDygC&biw=1175&bih=557
bihunsedap
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 9:34:43 PM

palapaguy wrote:
bihunsedap wrote:

"What is this?"

https://www.google.com/search?q=window+bars&client=ubuntu&hs=ACN&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk3568g4XfAhUM658KHTdzBJAQ_AUIDygC&biw=1175&bih=557

Can we called these door bar? Open or pull version.

palapaguy
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 11:02:52 PM

Neurons: 11,310
bihunsedap wrote:
palapaguy wrote:
bihunsedap wrote:

"What is this?"

Can we called these door bar? Open or pull version.

https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZiuz2X_1pbc0y122zFRHEQKBnMNBTtYmemgEZqXIyv9LiBd3YDyXF3bTguWWV0mhM57pc_1DtE1qLIeqg2NsOvwXwQ_1LGQRBHCBXnSco_1toZ24F1zLJdgkdMfhCBZwx_19gJH7wQpwGxFbzsOc50lQBWWKaO2wLvi5IQWZdVEOpAfULFUNqSoQNsRtSTxzxMcobp8llJ0FhZz_1R_1TG1gEo8qfTRVUU3otFcfehj7q5R19hnQz6D0hwHMGWSUam8JxMDORLIpGYy3DdXlyLBItSF6-9YkhLRehRkxC2d5i_1qxX68btejqP_1jaYFVe-QZViGj5oRac4IrAZJGGO8UpFiTtpF3k7MCdA
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 4:14:33 AM

Neurons: 182,345
Looking at your search, it appears that this is a specifically Indian idea.

I've seen bars or decorative wrought-iron grills on windows, but never this sort of thing.

The last picture is what I would just call a lift-door - it looks like a goods-lift in a factory.

I suppose the stainless steel one, I would call a security-door or a gate. They are generally industrial, not for home.

If you look over the sites on this search-page, some "security doors" are to keep insects out of the house.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 4:57:06 AM

Neurons: 46,167
Ah Drago - you've led a sheltered life! Whistle Australia and the UK are they only countries I've lived in that don't have them!

But wherever I've lived, these, in English, are all just called "Burglar bars/guards". Whether on doors or windows, they're all Burglar Bars, and one specifies - if it's relevent - which ones are being referred to.

e.g.: "We woke up this morning to find someone had tried to remove the burglar bars on the chidlren's bedroom."
" The burglar guards on the laundry door need to be completely replaced."
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:01:40 AM

(For some reason couldn't use Edit above.)

Just wanted to add that when an iron/mesh doorway is inside the house (cutting off halls or wings at nights)we call those "security doors."
mactoria
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:26:33 AM

Neurons: 1,332,087
Just want to underscore that Romany's post is what we in the US would call most of the pictures bihunsedap and palapaguy provided: 'burglar bars,' with the exception that the last set (the bluish-colored one doors) might be called 'security doors.' Security doors, at least in the US, are typically attached to the outside of the building's regular doors, with a twist knob or some other easy-to-use opening device on the inside so that in an emergency (such as a fire) the security door can be quickly opened. Burglar bars, at least in the US, are used by some in high-crime areas, but are usually attached outside a window (which is of course is easy to break) and had no easy way to open them from the inside, making them dangerous in an emergency. There are modern versions of burglar bars that are safer to use (ie can be opened quickly from inside in an emergency), but many houses still have the old-fashioned versions, and are the cause of unfortunate deaths from fires.

BTW, in looking closely at bihunsedap's photo, it appears that the metal bars/grills are actually inside the building/house; in the US burglar bars wouldn't installed inside a house (unless they were installed incorrectly). Must be common to other countr(ies) other than the US.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 5:59:11 AM

Now, a metal door with a "push bar to open" from the inside and no access from the outside is just a "fire door".
But it does keep intruders out.

Being steel, they are pretty burglar-proof, but that's not the purpose.

In London and central Edinburgh, some houses have this sort of thing:

which is decorative - but with some security function - but never anything like a cell-block built around
a house. I don't remember seeing anything like that in Clearwater or St Petersburg (Florida) either.
Maybe, it was all 'discrete' and 'subtle'.

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:05:22 AM

Drago -

You're right - it's a mind-numbing way to live, believe me!

The first time I brought my kids to the UK to stay with their grandparents they insisted on calling/talking to each other by leaning out of their seperate bedroom windows, which puzzled me at first.

Then they explained (and I felt so damn sad!) that never in their lives before had they be able to lean out of a window: the fact that one could do so had never before occurred to them!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:12:25 AM

Wow.

Yes - that even more emphasises the 'living in fear' thing mentioned in the other thread, I suppose.

More & more houses are getting security measures, but nothing on that scale.

I mean - on Bonfire night, someone stole my plastic wheelie-bin and burned it!
It took the council four days to replace it - Horrors!

thar
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:13:24 AM

Neurons: 73,928
God, all these terms are new to me. I see shops with shutters, and I was shocked when I moved to London and saw some ground-floor windows had what I would call simply 'bars in the windows'! The decorative one I guess I would call 'a security grille outside the window'.

I think I would spell it grille, not grill. Otherwise I would expect to see a strategically placed barbeque.

bihunsedap
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:16:02 PM

Thanks all.