The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

For All Our Veterans and Families Options
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2018 10:30:30 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,779
Neurons: 55,342
Courtesy of hedy
May all veteran's and their families have a Blessed Day.





We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 9:12:17 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/3/2016
Posts: 1,457
Neurons: 77,173
Location: Jandiāla Guru, Punjab, India
hedy is headful.

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
philips daughter
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 10:15:23 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/21/2017
Posts: 229
Neurons: 43,626
Hey, I bet those veterans who were going to school on the VA education bill would appreciate you writing your senator asking where their money is. Bless you too.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2018 9:49:21 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,779
Neurons: 55,342
philips daughter wrote:
Hey, I bet those veterans who were going to school on the VA education bill would appreciate you writing your senator asking where their money is. Bless you too.


I think you must mean the GI Bill.

I have no idea what school problem you are talking about, but that's okay. I'm not a big fan of the VA myself.

I'm glad so many vets are now getting the help they need and those who work there are now being held accountable, but my experience with them has left a very bitter taste in my mouth, so I won't be thumping for the VA anytime soon myself.

But I still support the President and his efforts to make America great again. It's just going to take time and the removal of a great number of Socialists/Democrats.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 2:48:55 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 352,977
Location: Haddington, Scotland, United Kingdom
FounDit wrote:
It's just going to take time and the removal of a great number of Socialists/Democrats.


Because they are the same thing...

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Epiphileon
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 4:26:31 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 4,152
Neurons: 134,983
You know what both amuses and distresses me is that so many want to call the U.S. a Christian nation but reject democratic socialism as evil. Jesus Christ would have been an ardent supporter of democratic socialism. Well, actually probably a theocracy but it would have looked a lot like socialism.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 4:50:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,779
Neurons: 55,342
progpen wrote:
FounDit wrote:
It's just going to take time and the removal of a great number of Socialists/Democrats.


Because they are the same thing...


Very often quite true: Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Cortez, Van Jones (avowed Communist in Obama admin.), and many fellow travelers in the Deep State.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 5:04:19 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,779
Neurons: 55,342
Epiphileon wrote:
You know what both amuses and distresses me is that so many want to call the U.S. a Christian nation but reject democratic socialism as evil. Jesus Christ would have been an ardent supporter of democratic socialism. Well, actually probably a theocracy but it would have looked a lot like socialism.


We are a nation founded by a preponderant number of Christians, but that isn't the same as being a Christian nation. Our first President, George Washington said as much in the Treaty of Tripoli in 1796.

Quote:
"Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;"


And supporting the tenets and teachings of Jesus isn't the same as advocating for socialism, Democrat style or not, as Jesus never advocated for any particular form of human government. But I know you know this.




We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 7:28:24 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/2/2009
Posts: 5,410
Neurons: 86,299
Location: Drain, Oregon, United States
FounDit wrote:
progpen wrote:
FounDit wrote:
It's just going to take time and the removal of a great number of Socialists/Democrats.


Because they are the same thing...


Very often quite true: Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Cortez, Van Jones (avowed Communist in Obama admin.), and many fellow travelers in the Deep State.

"Fellow travelers"?? really? That went out in the `50s, except for JF Dulles & cronies.

And "Deep State". I tell you, there are wackos on both sides of the aisle and those that persist in "Deep State" conspiracies on the right and on the left should just get together, have at it, and leave the governing to the rest of us.

As far as a "Deep State" goes, John Foster's CIA, during WWII (before he became Director--he was an agent in Europe and saw no reason he should take direction from the Director or the President), with him as Director, and even after he was out (with his remaining cronies continuing to take direction from him) probably comes as close to a "Deep State" as we've ever had.
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2018 10:10:25 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,779
Neurons: 55,342
RuthP wrote:
FounDit wrote:
progpen wrote:
FounDit wrote:
It's just going to take time and the removal of a great number of Socialists/Democrats.


Because they are the same thing...


Very often quite true: Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Cortez, Van Jones (avowed Communist in Obama admin.), and many fellow travelers in the Deep State.

"Fellow travelers"?? really? That went out in the `50s, except for JF Dulles & cronies.
Who said it went out in the '50's? It's a perfectly good word that describes those who agree with, and go along with, a particular ideology without coming out publicly. And since the government seems filled with them in various bureaucracies, if it isn't a popular word, it should be.

And "Deep State". I tell you, there are wackos on both sides of the aisle and those that persist in "Deep State" conspiracies on the right and on the left should just get together, have at it, and leave the governing to the rest of us.

As far as a "Deep State" goes, John Foster's CIA, during WWII (before he became Director--he was an agent in Europe and saw no reason he should take direction from the Director or the President), with him as Director, and even after he was out (with his remaining cronies continuing to take direction from him) probably comes as close to a "Deep State" as we've ever had.

Seriously?

Comey, Clapper, Strzok, Paige, the Clinton campaign's Russian collusion to produce the Steele dossier through cut-outs, Clinton destruction of emails, Clinton destruction of phones, destruction of documents to avoid have them examined, emails detailing the effort to slow-walk the incoming administration (and destroy it if possible), refusing to accept the results of the election, weaponizing the DOJ, FBI, DNI, NSA, IRS, EPA, the list goes on, and on, and on.

And you think the last “Deep State” was during WWII? That’s unbelievable. I certainly hope you are truly not that ill-informed about what is happening in your country.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Lotje1000
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 2:00:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/3/2014
Posts: 1,008
Neurons: 538,031
Location: Leuven, Flanders, Belgium
Huh, I guess I was under the mistaken impression this thread was supposed to be about veterans and their families.
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 4:45:05 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/22/2009
Posts: 4,152
Neurons: 134,983
FounDit wrote:
We are a nation founded by a preponderant number of Christians, but that isn't the same as being a Christian nation. Our first President, George Washington said as much in the Treaty of Tripoli in 1796.


Quote:
that so many want to call the U.S. a Christian nation

Yes, I know that FounDit; however, it remains that a majority of the U.S. population claim to adhere to a Christian ethic while advocating for policies that are anything but. I find the level of hypocrisy demonstrated by people who claim to be Christian but decry universal health care for example, as I said both amusing and distressing.

FounDit wrote:
And supporting the tenets and teachings of Jesus isn't the same as advocating for socialism, Democrat style or not, as Jesus never advocated for any particular form of human government. But I know you know this.


Yes, I do but once again the Gospels of Jesus advocate strongly for the care of the sick, and the poor, even if it means personal sacrifice. The idea of for-profit health care I'm sure would have been repulsive to Jesus. I think it is, therefore, a justifiable conclusion that people who claim to be Christian but oppose universal healthcare are being hypocritical.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 7:41:58 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 15,380
Neurons: 48,295
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

I think the phrase "so many people WANT to call the U.S. a Christian nation" completely naive. No-one "wants" to call the USA "Christian". We'd rather "call" the USA 'democratic' - so that religion plays no part.

But what else do you call a country where over 50% of the population believes that the Bible is the "word of [their] god"? Where Christian prayers are said in schools and on public occasions? Where a-theists are demonised as "anti-Christs" - and where, to date, no-one who states publicly they don't believe in the Christian god would ever make it to public office? How do you characterise a President (not this one) who makes the claim that his god (the Christian god) speaks to him personally...and no-one rises up and calls him crazy?

Perhaps, on a parochial level, it might even be thought that the word "Christian" is regarded as admirable and warm n' fuzzy in the rest of the world, when applied to a First World, industrialised nation?

It is not.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 8:50:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,634
Neurons: 49,468
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Lotje1000 wrote:
Huh, I guess I was under the mistaken impression this thread was supposed to be about veterans and their families.


Yeah, Lotje.

FD couldn't resist his political statement for the third time in a non Politics section after being asked to cease so doing. One sentence about still supporting a corrupt government that is bringing down the American and world economy (while smearing Hillary again later) was enough to steer it. When you can't support Trump, smear Hillary and Liberals with half truths, spin, and lies.

But the rest of the world sees it, even if Trump supporters are either too defiant, too embarrassed, or too fatuous to see it. And the forum sees the politics in non politics sections too.

This thread should be moved to Politics.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 11:05:32 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,779
Neurons: 55,342
Epiphileon wrote:
FounDit wrote:
We are a nation founded by a preponderant number of Christians, but that isn't the same as being a Christian nation. Our first President, George Washington said as much in the Treaty of Tripoli in 1796.


Quote:
that so many want to call the U.S. a Christian nation

Yes, I know that FounDit; however, it remains that a majority of the U.S. population claim to adhere to a Christian ethic while advocating for policies that are anything but. I find the level of hypocrisy demonstrated by people who claim to be Christian but decry universal health care for example, as I said both amusing and distressing.
There are also many who want to call the Earth flat; who want to believe in ghosts; who want to believe in Big Foot; who want to believe in alien abduction, etc. Should we all advocate for those, too, simply because some people want to?

You make two contradictory conclusions here, it seems to me. First, you say the "majority of the U.S. population claim to adhere to a Christian ethic while advocating for policies that are anything but", yet you don't provide any evidence for a policy which violates those ethics. But you then say you see hypocrisy because Christians don't support universal health care. So which is it - advocating for a policy that violates universal health care (because there is no such policy being put forth), or simply decrying universal health care?

FounDit wrote:
And supporting the tenets and teachings of Jesus isn't the same as advocating for socialism, Democrat style or not, as Jesus never advocated for any particular form of human government. But I know you know this.


Yes, I do but once again the Gospels of Jesus advocate strongly for the care of the sick, and the poor, even if it means personal sacrifice. The idea of for-profit health care I'm sure would have been repulsive to Jesus. I think it is, therefore, a justifiable conclusion that people who claim to be Christian but oppose universal healthcare are being hypocritical.

And again, I shouldn't have to remind you that Jesus spoke to individuals about their own personal behavior, not for government policies. You are conflating two completely different things. Besides that, there have been any number of compassionate organizations set up by Christians to serve the poor, as you also know, The Salvation Army being one of the best known. So failing to support a universal health care system is in no way hypocritical; not when there has been two thousand years of evidence that Christians do, indeed, serve the poor.

Don Quixote would be proud of your windmill, I think.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 11:13:49 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,779
Neurons: 55,342
Romany wrote:

I think the phrase "so many people WANT to call the U.S. a Christian nation" completely naive. No-one "wants" to call the USA "Christian". We'd rather "call" the USA 'democratic' - so that religion plays no part.
It was founded on the basis of freedom to practice one's religious beliefs. Some have referred to it as a Christian nation, but that is a misnomer, and a misunderstanding of the term, and should be of picayune concern.

But what else do you call a country where over 50% of the population believes that the Bible is the "word of [their] god"? Where Christian prayers are said in schools and on public occasions? Where a-theists are demonised as "anti-Christs" - and where, to date, no-one who states publicly they don't believe in the Christian god would ever make it to public office? How do you characterise a President (not this one) who makes the claim that his god (the Christian god) speaks to him personally...and no-one rises up and calls him crazy?
You would call it a country where the majority of the people have always been of the Christian faith; a country where one is supposed to be free to believe, or not believe, as conscience dictates, whether everyone concurs or not. And a president who believes God speaks to him is no crazier than any other religious believer in any other country who says the same thing.

Perhaps, on a parochial level, it might even be thought that the word "Christian" is regarded as admirable and warm n' fuzzy in the rest of the world, when applied to a First World, industrialised nation?

It is not.
According to you, but there have always been people who do feel that way. And in a country based on freedom, they have every right to feel that way.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 11:23:19 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 10,779
Neurons: 55,342
Hope123 wrote:
Lotje1000 wrote:
Huh, I guess I was under the mistaken impression this thread was supposed to be about veterans and their families.

It was. It was philips daughter who brought in the topic of the VA/GI Bill, education and senators.

Yeah, Lotje.

FD couldn't resist his political statement for the third time in a non Politics section after being asked to cease so doing.
No one asked me not to do so. I merely wanted to thank veterans and their families for their contributions to our great country, but it was apparently not good enough to simply permit that.

One sentence about still supporting a corrupt government that is bringing down the American and world economy (while smearing Hillary again later) was enough to steer it. When you can't support Trump, smear Hillary and Liberals with half truths, spin, and lies.
Everything I wrote was based in fact. Your willful ignorance of that changes nothing.

But the rest of the world sees it, even if Trump supporters are either too defiant, too embarrassed, or too fatuous to see it. And the forum sees the politics in non politics sections too.

This thread should be moved to Politics.

Saluting our veterans is a part of our culture, but those of you on the Left feel compelled to politicize everything, even compliments to our vets. If you didn't do that, perhaps the topic of KNOWLEDGE AND CULTURE could remain that.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2018 12:23:56 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,634
Neurons: 49,468
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Typical of Trump supporters to blame someone else. Philip's daughter was still talking about veterans.

This is the sentence that turned the thread political. It was not the Left but a Donald supporter who politicized it.

FoubDit wrote: But I still support the President and his efforts to make America great again. It's just going to take time and the removal of a great number of Socialists/Democrats.


PS - Romany politely asked you, FD, to stop the politics in a vocabulary or grammar thread and a couple of days later you did it again. I almost commented then. And now this.

Back to topic:

Yes, veterans in every country should be applauded for putting their lives on the line. That means all of them, including men and women of all colours, and gold star families, and those captured in war - one who even refused to go home without his men, but who was labelled by Donald as "not a hero" and dissed as he lay dying. Because of politics. No need to mention his name. We are all up on the US real news. (Turns out there was a presidential candidate running a corrupt “charity” foundation. Good thing it was dissolved today. But Donald supporters will ignore this and bring up another disproven conspiracy theory about the Clinton Foundation next week anyway.)

Compliments to all veterans around the world.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.