The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It's beneath me Options
Joe Kim
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:56:03 PM

Neurons: 2,687
From a movie, a person has to wait to get what he wants and says, "I hate waiting. It's beneath me." What does beneath me mean here?

ibj_ldn
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:38:06 PM

Neurons: 240,510
beneath

b. Unworthy of; unbefitting: It was beneath me to beg.

Hope it helps...
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 9:03:51 PM

Neurons: 57,080
ibj_ldn wrote:
beneath

b. Unworthy of; unbefitting: It was beneath me to beg.

Hope it helps...

That's pretty good. I'd say it means "I'm too (good)(important) to (have to wait)(need to wait)(be forced to wait)."
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:23:20 AM

Neurons: 179,177
Yeah.

"It's beneath me. I'm better than everyone else. They are so 'low down;', they should wait for me to be served."

Sick Sick Pray

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 11:38:28 AM

Neurons: 45,380
Yep - that's the meaning: and up to about 50 years ago it was unremarkable to use this sentence.

I imagine there are still people who feel this way (that they have a god-given right to superiority). But I just couldn't imagine anyone saying this sentence out loud nowadays. Even their friends would mercilessly take the mickey if they said it, I would imagine!

I think that it's good to know what it means when one comes across it in a book - but not the kind of thing to memorise and make part of one's English vocabulary.
thar
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 1:15:48 PM

Neurons: 72,952
Although it does also have the meaning of being too honorable a person to do something.
eg I refused to respond to her insults or join in the name-calling. That is beneath me.
So it is not just about entitlement. It can be about moral confidence - or superiority, whichever way you want to look at it. Whistle
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 5:43:16 AM

Neurons: 45,380

OK - then perhaps it's only I who would never even use it in the context Thar provided? I don't see myself as superior to anyone else, whether it's in relation to morality, language usage, good manners or 'moral confidence'. And I've still never heard anyone say it. (Though I have, of course, read it.)

I am an ordinary human being: and I'm cynical (realistic?) enough by now to consider that there are very few behaviours in which a particular human would not engage in particular situations.