Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Pls explain these words Options
QP
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 6:38:45 AM

Neurons: 6,956
Hi friends,

Guys are talking about their girlfriends:-

A: How about you and Jane?
B: One day, it's been alright. But.. I'm still in the market.
A: There's a few other girls on your case in London?
B: There's a few...
A: Who?

Could you please let me know the meaning "it's been alright" and "on your case" in this sentence?

Thank you
QP
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:25:31 AM

Neurons: 45,380

"How about you and Jane?" is a question about B's relationship with Jane = How is the relationship between you and Jane progressing?

"It's been all right." "It's been..." signals "It once was...". So B is saying that it used to be ok. But he is using "all right" to mean "OK", or "not bad". So we understand it was never a particularly good relationship...just "ok".But as he's put that in the past "It's been..." we understand that his feelings have changed. If it's not even "all right" any more its almost over.

"On your case..." is a little tricky - it can be a good thing or a bad thing. We have to understand which way the speaker is using it from the context.

If your mum keeps on telling you to clean your room, or do your homework, she's "on your case" about it. She's repeatedly singling you out to get you to do something.

But in this context, there are a lot of girls who are singling B out for attention. They're interested in him.

The message in this piece of text is: - "If your relationship with Jane is falling apart - is nearly over - don't worry. There are other girls around who would be interested in taking her place."
QP
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 9:28:02 AM

Neurons: 6,956
Thank you, Romany. It is clear.
renee talley 1
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:24:28 PM

Neurons: 2,729
Think d'oh! Anxious
QP wrote:
Hi friends,

Guys are talking about their girlfriends:-

A: How about you and Jane?
B: One day, it's been alright. But.. I'm still in the market.
A: There's a few other girls on your case in London?
B: There's a few...
A: Who?

Could you please let me know the meaning "it's been alright" and "on your case" in this sentence?

Thank you
QP
sometimes I nee to put my foot down but instead say to you it's been alright if you're still in the market.
in this case to be on your back indicates you are aggravated that they don't know where their stopping point how you sstart feeling
enough already I get your point; I need some breathingWhistle Whistle Whistle Applause Applause Applause Applause room; wouldn't y'all agree?