The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A Republican Voice of Reason Options
Epiphileon
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 5:39:33 AM

Neurons: 109,596
I tend to avoid the political forum. I have very strong views about the current situation in the United States; however, the polarization and accompanying emotional vehemence behind the opposing sides no longer seems to leave a lot of room for objective examination of the issues. I recently saw a video on Facebook though that I thought unequivocally points out the danger of the current administration's dangerous tactics.
The man interviewed in this video is a Republican and although I tend to disagree with most of the current Republican platform and most of what I see as their underlying philosophy, I was impressed by this man's clear and rational evaluation of the tactics being employed currently by this administration.
Interview with John Kasich

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
renee talley 1
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 5:55:55 AM

Neurons: 2,816
Anxious Think Speak to the hand d'oh!
Epiphileon wrote:
I tend to avoid the political forum. I have very strong views about the current situation in the United States; however, the polarization and accompanying emotional vehemence behind the opposing sides no longer seems to leave a lot of room for objective examination of the issues. I recently saw a video on Facebook though that I thought unequivocally points out the danger of the current administration's dangerous tactics.
The man interviewed in this video is a Republican and although I tend to disagree with most of the current Republican platform and most of what I see as their underlying philosophy, I was impressed by this man's clear and rational evaluation of the tactics being employed currently by this administration.
A Republican's voice of reasonApplause Applause stands for wisdom along with common sense
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 11:18:56 AM

Neurons: 53,388
Epiphileon wrote:

I agree that there doesn't seem to be much room for objective examination of issues. But do you not see the irony in decrying a lack of objectivity but then going on to describe the "danger of the current administration's dangerous tactics."? Hardly an unbiased assessment, and neither is that of John Kasich (but that's my biased opinion..LOL).

It is rather difficult to be objective when starting from a position of bias. Of course, I, too, have a bias. I am biased in favor of what the this President is doing. But to be objective, I think it is necessary to take a more elevated view of history and decide from that perspective which pathway is best for the country and its citizens.

Of course, the ultimate objective may come from a point of bias also, depending on whether one thinks the original intent of the founding should be attempted, or changed in favor of another system. I'm rather fond of the original intent — ultimate freedom for individuals and society in general.

The problem, as I see it, is that discussion doesn't seem to be possible without someone being called a racist, a homophobe or some other slanderous word simply for having a different opinion (the execrable group de jour is "old white men" which appears racist in itself). But, in my opinion, this is done by design to accomplish just that — shutting down discussion in order to preserve, or to gain political power.

Things aren't likely to improve until that is no longer tolerated - on either side. Hopefully, we'll get back to that civil point at some time in the future, but I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit