The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

indirect quote-APA style Options
Atatürk
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 2:47:21 PM

Neurons: 250
In one study, Enright and Hebl (1999) pointed out that all the subjects who evaluated positive emotions to be at a higher and better level than the negative ones in a meaningful way, and they also realized that gender and field of study are not significant factors in determining one’s happiness; with Regression Analysis it was found step by step that the behavioral skill accounts for 0.417 percent of the hope variance.

Is it okay to quote from some researchers's article as shown above? The name of the article and the related details will be mentioned in the "Reference" of the paper.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 11:24:59 PM

Neurons: 51,335
Atatürk wrote:
In one study, Enright and Hebl (1999) pointed out that all the subjects who evaluated positive emotions to be at a higher and better level than the negative ones in a meaningful way, and they also realized that gender and field of study are not significant factors in determining one’s happiness; with Regression Analysis it was found step by step that the behavioral skill accounts for 0.417 percent of the hope variance.

Is it okay to quote from some researchers's article as shown above? The name of the article and the related details will be mentioned in the "Reference" of the paper.

It's been some time since I've had to source material. Romany would probably be of more help with this. I will say, however, it is always preferable to use the primary source if available, and a secondary source only if you must, as in cases where the primary isn't available, or in a language you don't speak, etc.

That said, I feel there is a problem with your wording. I think this is what you intended to say: Enright and Hebl pointed out that ... subjects who evaluated positive emotions [judged them] to be [on] a higher and better level than negative ones in a meaningful way; and they also realized ...

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 5:07:04 AM

Neurons: 179,177
I agree (from my limited knowledge of such writing articles).

Giving an indirect quote of an interpretation leads to too much 'leeway' for opinion or bias. I would prefer a direct quote from their paper.

In this case, I can't actually tell which phrase is referring to which subject.

I hope that Enright and Hebl were clearer.

As with many of the 'passages' we are asked to critique here, there seems to be too much data for a single sentence - it becomes confused.

The long phrase "all the subjects who evaluated positive emotions to be at a higher and better level than the negative ones in a meaningful way" is a noun (a specific group of subjects).
There is no verb to show what these subjects did.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!