The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

looking for the correct verb for my example Options
robjen
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 5:26:55 PM

Neurons: 3,277
(ex) At the postage stamp event, one seller and one buyer seemed suspicious and dishonest. They were shamming a big transaction to deceive others into thinking that the seller's stamps were very rare and valuable.

If "shamming" doesn't work, what verb(s) would fit the sentence better? Thanks a lot.
NKM
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 8:33:50 PM

Neurons: 274,634
Either feigning or faking would work.

robjen
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 9:05:56 PM

Neurons: 3,277
Thanks, NKM. Shamming is a synonym of faking. Does your response suggest that "shamming" also works? Please answer my question. Thanks a lot.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 2:12:10 AM

Neurons: 179,170
Hi!

From my viewpoint (in Britain), "shamming" would work.
It is more used as a noun (The transaction was a sham), but also "pretend something" (He was just shamming illness so he didn't have to go to work. They were shamming the transaction to attract other buyers.)

A rather informal phrase could be "They were just putting on a show of a sale to trick real buyers."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
NKM
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:48:47 PM

Neurons: 274,634
Personally, I wouldn't use "sham" as a verb. I don't think I've ever heard it used that way, though it's certainly clear enough.

Romany
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 4:44:16 PM

Neurons: 45,380

NK,

I have direct knowledge of the fact that Americans don't use "shamming".

An new American housemate of mine once struck me as just a teensy bit odd. For some reason she didn't always react in the right way to things I said: her responses were downright puzzling at times.

But then, as we became more friendly, I learnt that half the time she thought the same about me!

And the "shamming" thing was a question in point: when I'd told her our other housemate wasn't really ill but was locked away in his room 'shamming' - she'd thought I was saying "Shaman" (he was locked away being a witchdoctor?), but then reconsidered; I'd said "shaming".Which really gave her the heebie-jeebies about what he was doing locked away in his room shaming himself??