The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

help to explain a sentence? Options
QP
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:58:34 AM

Neurons: 6,956
Hi friend,

A black guy is meeting with a white guy for consulting on how to form a new country and he says the below sentence:-

Black guy: I thought you guys were Shriners when I first met you. Like, honestly, I was like: "Oh shit, them old white men finally got cool with some niggers.". That's when I realised
white people take everything.

Could you please explain the meaning of the bold sentence?

Thank ou
QP

renee talley 1
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:22:56 PM

Neurons: 2,729
Anxious Anxious d'oh! d'oh! This style of relating with other different races is written in poor taste and without thinking before you speak or write something down. The writer simply needs to put his thinking before proceeding keeping to himself and
think how he might overreact if he was treated in the samed'oh! Anxious manner.
renee talley 1
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:45:58 PM

Neurons: 2,729
Think Speak to the hand Applause Applause Applause
renee talley 1 wrote:
Anxious Anxious d'oh! d'oh! This style of relating with other different races is written in poor taste and without thinking before you speak or write something down. The writer simply needs to put his thinking before proceeding keeping to himself and
think how he might overreact if he was treated in the samed'oh! Anxious manner.
To be from another Applause =d&gt
race is like a sore that never heals.
When bullying takes place this creates havoc when they taunt a perosn of their own rce or form another race remains & ceases to develop a misunderstanding of the epitomy tht lacks justice peace love & understandng what brotherhood or sisterhood is all about.Dancing Dancing Whistle Whistle Whistle Think Think Applause Applause Applause
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2018 3:21:19 AM

Neurons: 6,942
QP wrote:
Hi friend,

A black guy is meeting with a white guy for consulting on how to form a new country and he says the below sentence:-

Black guy: I thought you guys were Shriners when I first met you. Like, honestly, I was like: "Oh shit, them old white men finally got cool with some niggers.". That's when I realised
white people take everything.

Could you please explain the meaning of the bold sentence?

Thank ou
QP

The Shriners are a group similar to the Freemasons who have meetings, have a few drinks, some fun and raise money for charities the membership,is mostly older white men. These are the "old white men" refered to by the speaker.

"Got cool with" means that they become friendly with, became accustomed to.

"Some niggers" means some African-Americans, the term niggers or even black man is considered a rascist insult by many, unless the person writing or speaking it is African-Amercian themselves. Using such terms should be avoided unless you know what you are doing.

However when an author is writing to reflect the speech patterns of a particular person, an Aftican American from a particular social group that would use those terms then they are being true to the character in question.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
QP
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2018 6:28:16 AM

Neurons: 6,956
Thank you for your explanation, Sarrriesfan.