The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

please explain a sentence. Options
QP
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 12:43:19 PM

Neurons: 6,956
Hi friend,

An expert (A) is finding out who is an artist of his painting. He is meeting with a professional (B) and having conversation like this:-

A: You've had a look at our picture?
B: Yes
A: Have you any thoughts?
B: From what I’ve seen of the painting, there are much more athletic positions of the figures, and are characteristic of Tintoretto. But that would be normal in the late 16th century.
A: So it’s someone who has seen or is aware of this type of art. Who’s carrying the baton down, whose style is changing.

Could you please explain the sentence in bold? Does it imply anything special?

Thank you
QP
FounDit
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 12:58:26 PM

Neurons: 51,343
QP wrote:
Hi friend,

An expert (A) is finding out who is an artist of his painting. He is meeting with a professional (B) and having conversation like this:-

A: You've had a look at our picture?
B: Yes
A: Have you any thoughts?
B: From what I’ve seen of the painting, there are much more athletic positions of the figures, and are characteristic of Tintoretto. But that would be normal in the late 16th century.
A: So it’s someone who has seen or is aware of this type of art. Who’s carrying the baton down, whose style is changing.

Could you please explain the sentence in bold? Does it imply anything special?

Thank you
QP

I would interpret "carrying the baton down" as a reference to a relay race where each runner passes a baton onto the next runner. So this would mean the artist has seen paintings by Tintoretto, and is painting in a similar fashion. The artist is "carrying the baton" of Tintoretto as if it were passed to him, or her. So the artist appears to be changing style to match that of Tintoretto.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
QP
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2018 2:03:02 AM

Neurons: 6,956
Thank you, FounDit. I get it now.