The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A continuation.. Options
Amybal
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:25:58 AM

Neurons: 1,921
Hi, do you see anything grammatically wrong in these sentence?

Short summary
A continuation of Vishwaroopam (2013), it showcases an Indian spy Wisam's relationship with his wife and team as he struggles to counter an impending terror attack planned by his archenemy, Omar.

Long sumamry
After failing to execute the deadliest terror attack in the city of New York, Omar has one more dangerous plan up their sleeves. Meanwhile, soldier-turned-spy Major Wisam Ahmad Kashmiri, his nuclear-oncologist wife Nirupama, his working partner Ashmita Sunbramanium and Colonel Jagannath team up to thwart Omar's revenge game.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:10:19 AM

Neurons: 176,780
Hi!

I find the short one fine. I don't think that there are any grammatical mistakes in it. I would omit the 'an' and use "Indian spy Wisam" as one title, but I think that's just a style-choice, not a grammar error.

The long one is more of a problem.

When we use a superlative, it is normally connected with a selection of/group of items (though these may not be mentioned, they are known to the speaker and 'listener').

John was the tallest boy in the class.
(the 'group' is "all the boys in the class")

Mike and his brothers came in . . .
(a sentence describing their entrance)
Mike went through to the kitchen and did . . . (a long sentence describing what he did)
Mike was the tallest. - Though it has not been mentioned for several lines and several sentences, the 'group' is "Mike and his brothers".

In your paragraph, there is no 'group' for 'deadliest'. The sentence is talking about ONE attack in New York, not a selection of attacks.

Omar is (I guess) a single male person (like Omar Sharif or Omar Lyefook), so his plan would be "up his sleeve" not "up their sleeves".

I know it's Indian newspaper style, and is probably OK, but the super-complex, hyper-extended personal titles just seem strange in English.

Short summary
A continuation of Vishwaroopam (2013), it showcases Indian spy Wisam's relationship with his wife and team as he struggles to counter an impending terror attack planned by his archenemy, Omar.

Long summary
After failing to execute his deadly terror attack in New York, Omar has one more dangerous plan up his sleeve. Meanwhile, soldier-turned-spy Wisam Kashmiri; his wife Nirupama; his partner Ashmita Sunbramanium and Colonel Jagannath team up to thwart Omar's revenge game.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
renee talley 1
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:19:01 AM

Neurons: 2,403
Shame on you Anxious Think Pray A continuation grammatically is in the future continuous adjective . Also all depends what you are going from point A-B.
The babbling brook causes the water runs over the pebbles how a continuation of action never ceases to amaze me.Applause Applause Applause Dancing Dancing Whistle Whistle Whistle
Amybal
Posted: Friday, October 5, 2018 12:19:31 PM

Neurons: 1,921
Hi Drag0nspeaker, thank you and noted on the comments below.