The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

a fulfilling career Options
Hundreed
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 7:46:41 AM

Neurons: 128
Hi everybody.
I saw this expression - a fulfilling career - a lot of times in sentences like "how to find a fulfilling career", "ways to a fulfilling career" and so on.
But I can't really get what exactly does it mean?
First thing. Fulfilling. A fulfilling career is a career which helps me realize all my abilities, or is it just a career that gives me satisfaction like "this is it, this is what I wanted", or is it both of those? "I realized all my abilities and this is what I wanted, this is it". Or it means something else?
Confused about "career" as well. Is it just a fulfilling - whatever it means - job or profession, or is it the whole way from a low position to a higher one in this profession?
Maybe, guys, there are synonyms for this expression? What I see is this: a fulfilling career = a job that I enjoy (still the reason of this enjoyment is not clear).
Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help!

FounDit
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 10:29:56 AM

Neurons: 51,944
Hundreed wrote:
Hi everybody.
I saw this expression - a fulfilling career - a lot of times in sentences like "how to find a fulfilling career", "ways to a fulfilling career" and so on.
But I can't really get what exactly does it mean?
The people using the word want it to mean whatever you think of when you hear "fulfilling". It will mean different things to different people. The ideas you list below are some of those meanings.

First thing. Fulfilling. A fulfilling career is a career which helps me realize all my abilities, or is it just a career that gives me satisfaction like "this is it, this is what I wanted", or is it both of those? "I realized all my abilities and this is what I wanted, this is it". Or it means something else?
To me, this would be the definition that fits.

Confused about "career" as well. Is it just a fulfilling - whatever it means - job or profession, or is it the whole way from a low position to a higher one in this profession?
For some people, this may be all they aspire to be and do in life: become successful at some career and high position in that career in the hopes that will satisfy them.

Maybe, guys, there are synonyms for this expression? What I see is this: a fulfilling career = a job that I enjoy (still the reason of this enjoyment is not clear).
If you think a job you enjoy is all you need to find work pleasant and enjoyable, then you might describe it as "fulfilling".

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help!

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 11:25:47 AM

Neurons: 182,147
Hi. For synonyms, you might try "satisfying job".

"career" and "job" are not really the same, always, but they can be.

As FounDit says - "fulfilling" is a good word because each reader can imagine this career fulfilling something different - whatever they feel needs some fulfilment.

"Career" really means the jobs you have (in the same sort of line) through your working life - "a profession or occupation chosen as one's life's work".
However, it also means "this one job".

So the phrase means, really, whatever you the reader want it to mean. Great positive propaganda.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!