The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Terrible emotions always do sound foolish when we put them into our inadequate words. They are not meant to be spoken—only... Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 75,567
Terrible emotions always do sound foolish when we put them into our inadequate words. They are not meant to be spoken—only felt and endured.

Lucy Maud Montgomery (1874-1942)
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 6:00:27 AM

Neurons: 190,531
Yeah. There’s no need in any words - you can cry, wail or sob it wholeheartedly...
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 7:52:33 AM

Neurons: 4,643,523

Context from:Anne's House of Dreams

Chapter 26
Owen Ford's Confession

"I did--once. I had gone down to the Point to go fishing with Captain Jim but it was too rough to go out, so I came back. She had taken the opportunity of what she expected to be an afternoon alone to wash her hair, and she was standing on the veranda in the sunshine to dry it. It fell all about her to her feet in a fountain of living gold. When she saw me she hurried in, and the wind caught her hair and swirled it all around her--Danae in her cloud. Somehow, just then the knowledge that I loved her came home to me--and realised that I had loved her from the moment I first saw her standing against the darkness in that glow of light. And she must live on here--petting and soothing Dick, pinching and saving for a mere existence, while I spend my life longing vainly for her, and debarred, by that very fact, from even giving her the little help a friend might. I walked the shore last night, almost till dawn, and thrashed it all out over and over again. And yet, in spite of everything, I can't find it in my heart to be sorry that I came to Four Winds. It seems to me that, bad as everything is, it would be still worse never to have known Leslie. It's burning, searing pain to love her and leave her--but not to have loved her is unthinkable. I suppose all this sounds very crazy--all these terrible emotions always do sound foolish when we put them into our inadequate words. They are not meant to be spoken--only felt and endured. I shouldn't have spoken--but it has helped-- some. At least, it has given me strength to go away respectably tomorrow morning, without making a scene. You'll write me now and then, won't you, Mrs. Blythe, and give me what news there is to give of her?"

"Yes," said Anne. "Oh, I'm so sorry you are going--we'll miss you so--we've all been such friends! If it were not for this you could come back other summers. Perhaps, even yet--by-and-by--when you've forgotten, perhaps--"

"I shall never forget--and I shall never come back to Four Winds," said Owen briefly.

Silence and twilight fell over the garden. Far away the sea was lapping gently and monotonously on the bar. The wind of evening in the poplars sounded like some sad, weird, old rune--some broken dream of old memories. A slender shapely young aspen rose up before them against the fine maize and emerald and paling rose of the western sky, which brought out every leaf and twig in dark, tremulous, elfin loveliness.

Read more:https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/annhd-26.html

ibj_ldn
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:04:32 PM

Neurons: 233,903
5 Quotes by Lucy M. Montgomery:

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”

“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.”

“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.”

“True friends are always together in spirit. (Anne Shirley)”

“Life is worth living as long as there's a laugh in it.”

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/5350.L_M_Montgomery
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 4:58:32 PM

Neurons: 471,247
Terrible emotions always do sound foolish when we put them into our inadequate words. They are not meant to be spoken—only felt and endured.