The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

scurvy Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,199
scurvy

(adjective) Of the most contemptible kind.

Synonyms: abject, low-down, scummy, miserable, low

Usage: It was a scurvy trick to play on a helpless old lady, but he was desperate for money and therefore went along with the plan to swindle her out of her life savings.
xrayangiodoc
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 3:09:38 AM

Neurons: 118
Seems to me that no definition of, "Scurvy" is complete without the primary definition being the condition or disease caused by Vitamin C deficiency! Then again, I'm a Doctor.
lazarius
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 5:59:09 AM

Neurons: 120,913
xrayangiodoc wrote:
Seems to me that no definition of, "Scurvy" is complete without the primary definition being the condition or disease caused by Vitamin C deficiency!

Just follow the link. :)

--

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
IBMJunkman
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 8:27:48 AM

Neurons: 13
I am with the doctor. The definition in the email should be the most important one. The recent definition for faithless shown in the email stumped me. I had never used the word in the context mentioned. The email should have said without faith.
lazarius
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 10:51:31 AM

Neurons: 120,913
IBMJunkman wrote:
The recent definition for faithless shown in the email stumped me. I had never used the word in the context mentioned. The email should have said without faith.

I'm afraid there's something you do not understand. Here are 5 first examples from that page and in all of them it's unfaithful:

Quote:
Thank God, the first shock of things has abated, now that you have agreed not to look upon me as faithless and an egotist simply because I have deceived you.

How often during those eight years of happy life with his wife Alexey Alexandrovitch had looked at other men's faithless wives and other deceived husbands and asked himself: "How can people descend to that?

Victor," she murmured, "you would spoil the most faithless woman on earth for all her lovers.

Damon, the morning of the eighth day after their desertion by the faithless Jacinto.

It may be," he replied, "because I will not encounter the dishonour that besmirches the husband of a faithless woman.

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2018 5:08:01 PM

Neurons: 4,773,700