British vs American pronunciation of Athenaeum Options
irenem
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 9:05:59 AM

Neurons: 3
Any Oxfordshire folk out there who could tell me how you pronounce "Athenaeum?"
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 9:40:03 AM

Neurons: 409,255
Try TFD page Athenaeum and click the speaker/flag icon.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Yorker
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 11:05:03 AM

Neurons: 2,084
British English pronunciation of Athenaeum (Athen|aeum) http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=athenaeum&submit=Submit

Pronunciation: athen-aeum
US also Athen-e-um)

used in the names of libraries or institutions for literary or scientific study: the Boston Athenaeum

used in the titles of periodicals concerned with literature, science, and art

(the Athenaeum) a London club founded in 1824, originally for men of distinction in literature, art, and learning

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric. - Bertrand Russell
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 11:18:09 AM

The Ateneum is a major museum in Finland. It is located in the centre of Helsinki at the Rautatientori square opposite Helsinki Central Railway Station. It has the biggest collections of classical art in Finland. Previously the Ateneum building also housed the Finnish Academy of Fine Arts and University of Art and Design Helsinki.

excaelis
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 10:59:16 PM

Neurons: 32,652
I don't have sound on this machine so is 'Atha-knee-um' right?

Sanity is not statistical
Yorker
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 7:21:58 AM

excaelis wrote:

I don't have sound on this machine so is 'Atha-knee-um' right?

In American English it sounds like 'Atha-knee-um' in British English 'Atha-nay-um.' Both appear to be correct.

Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric. - Bertrand Russell
grammargeek
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 1:48:27 PM

Neurons: 33,836
No Americans have responded to this question about the pronunciation of athenaeum, probably because it is not a word we use. In fact, I'd never come across it until reading this thread.

TFD's entry shows only the flag of the UK* and not the American flag; plus my AE spellchecker gives me the red underline when I type the word.

Irenem, I noticed that you are in the U.S. Have you come across athenaeum being used in your part of the country?

*After the whole "Scot=Brit?" topic, I'm not entirely sure if it is correct to refer to the UK's flag as the "British flag"; is it?
excaelis
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:05:08 PM

Technically Great Britain, Northern Ireland and The Commonwealth; but 'British' is Fine ! Or call it the 'Union Jack' to avoid any contretemps.

grammargeek
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:40:34 PM

excaelis wrote:
Technically Great Britain, Northern Ireland and The Commonwealth; but 'British' is Fine ! Or call it the 'Union Jack' to avoid any contretemps.

Thank you!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 2:52:14 PM

grammargeek wrote:
No Americans have responded to this question about the pronunciation of athenaeum, probably because it is not a word we use. In fact, I'd never come across it until reading this thread.

TFD's entry shows only the flag of the UK* and not the American flag; plus my AE spellchecker gives me the red underline when I type the word.

Irenem, I noticed that you are in the U.S. Have you come across athenaeum being used in your part of the country?

So, what is Boston Athenaeum?

grammargeek
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:06:10 PM

JJ wrote:

I'd never heard of it until you put that link up. So where are our Bostonians; why aren't they chiming in?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 4:37:42 PM

grammargeek wrote:
JJ wrote:

I'd never heard of it until you put that link up. So where are our Bostonians; why aren't they chiming in?

Have a look at this TFD page of Atheneum. It might surprise you ;-)
What surprises me is that Finns, speaking an ancient and conservative language, have thrown away letter "h" from that word.
Stingy with ink, perhaps?

Yorker
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 5:55:29 PM

Grammargeek wrote:
excaelis wrote:

Scotland, Wales and England have their own flag, I’m not sure about Northern Ireland, and certainly other countries in the commonwealth will have their own too. But as excaelis pointed out flying the Union Jack as well as their own flag is the norm.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:24:03 PM

Yorker wrote:
Grammargeek wrote:
excaelis wrote:
Scotland, Wales and England have their own flag, I’m not sure about Northern Ireland, and certainly other countries in the commonwealth will have their own too. But as excaelis pointed out flying the Union Jack as well as their own flag is the norm.

There are several versions of Ulster Banner, none of them in official use, I think.

excaelis
Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:52:45 PM

Now as a result of an innocent pronunciation query are we to be vexed by vexillology ? Let's hope our enthusiasm doesn't flag too soon. Dancing

Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 1:20:21 AM

Neurons: 39,933
To my knowledge, the combination of those 3 flags make up the Union Jack.
peterhewett
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:06:15 AM

Neurons: 3,698
GG asks:

*After the whole "Scot=Brit?" topic, I'm not entirely sure if it is correct to refer to the UK's flag as the "British flag"; is it?

Peter says: Yes it is. Below are the British, Scottish, Welsh, English and Northern Irish flags. The British one is the union flag.

He that increases in knowledge increases in pain.
peterhewett
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 2:33:55 AM

Neurons: 3,698
Four syllables spoken thus: Ath a nay um ( ne or nay) Athenaeum

He that increases in knowledge increases in pain.
grammargeek
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 12:31:30 PM

Thank you, Peter, for your response to my question and especially for posting the pictures of the various flags. That was very helpful indeed.

Thanks again to X and also to Yorker and Tovarish for your input. Tov, your comment that the Union Jack is a compilation of the English, Scottish, and Northern Irish flags, along with the pictures that Peter provided, has made me look at the British flag in a whole new way. How very interesting!

Most importantly, I wish to express my sincere apology to irenem for inadvertently initiating a threadjacking of your very first topic here at TFD. It certainly was not my intention; I thought I could get a quick answer about how to correctly refer to the flag that appears as part of the BE pronunciation icon. Perhaps I should have known better.

So, irenem, please allow me to officially welcome you to the land of FreeDELFia, as we often refer to this place. And as I say that, I am realizing that FreeDELFia has no flag of its own. Silenced
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 3:18:58 PM

peterhewett wrote:

That last flag is actually not accepted as a flag of island of Ireland or Republic of Ireland nor Northern Ireland. It's St. Patrick's Flag.

In Northern Ireland the flag of the United Kingdom, the Union Flag or Union Jack, is the only official flag, and is routinely used on central government buildings in Northern Ireland. It is made from an amalgamation of the crosses of St George (representing England and Wales), St Andrew (representing Scotland) and St Patrick (representing Ireland).

The Union Flag is often flown by Unionists and Loyalists but is disliked by Nationalists and Republicans.

From Wikipedia:

The Ulster Banner, the former Executive Committee of the Privy Council of Northern Ireland flag, was used from 1953 to 1972 to represent the government of Northern Ireland. When the government of Northern Ireland was suspended in March 1972 and dissolved under the Northern Ireland Constitution Act 1973, its arms and flag officially disappeared; however, the flag continues to be used by some local governments, such as the predominantly unionist Castlereagh, which continues to fly it outside its offices, and by some NGOs representing the territory. It continues to be used by some sports teams representing Northern Ireland internationally, for example by the Northern Ireland football team, and by the Northern Ireland Commonwealth Games team.

Yorker
Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2010 6:11:46 PM

I have just spoken to an Irish friend who confirms the Ulster flag has the red cross, crown and red hand. Well done JJ, your perseverence is legendary. Applause

excaelis
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 4:41:16 PM

At the risk of sounding unduly petulant I would like to point out that the Welsh do not feel at all recognised in the Union Jack. Our patron saint is Syr Dafydd, not St.George.

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:04:01 PM

excaelis wrote:
At the risk of sounding unduly petulant I would like to point out that the Welsh do not feel at all recognised in the Union Jack. Our patron saint is Syr Dafydd, not St.George.

St. David? A yellow cross on black field.

excaelis
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:31:35 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
excaelis wrote:

St. David? A yellow cross on black field.

Neither of which colours is represented on their lousy flag ! Bloody German Johnny-come-latelies !! Boo hoo!

Yorker
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 5:48:27 PM

excaelis

Bloody German Johnny-come-latelies !!

Dancing lovely!

thar
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:53:07 AM

Neurons: 72,390
excaelis wrote:

oh you've done it now. Shame on you The union jack is actually only the naval ensign, the usual big flag is called the union flag. Luckily brits don't seem as obsessed with flags as honoured symbols as several other countries, so they let it slide.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:55:31 AM

peterhewett wrote:
GG asks:

Peter says: Yes it is. Below are the British, Scottish, Welsh, English and Northern Irish flags. The British one is the union flag.

what no bloody hand?

not to start another war but if you ask the Northern Irish what their flag is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ulster_banner.svg
Yorker
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:31:00 AM

Yep, we need to show that bloody red hand on the Ulster flag, don't want to cause another civil war in Ireland do we now?

excaelis
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:26:39 PM

I knew this would become a mares nest sooner or later. And thanks for the clarification,Thar. Sometimes Britannia waives the rules, eh ?

JPK
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 3:17:37 PM

Neurons: 1,998
I've been to the Athenaeum in Providence, RI. Poe and Lovecraft used to go there, so of course I had to go. I had no idea how to pronounce the word, though.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:38:58 PM

JPK wrote:
I've been to the Athenaeum in Providence, RI. Poe and Lovecraft used to go there, so of course I had to go. I had no idea how to pronounce the word, though.

thank you for returning to topic JPK, there are too many bloody hands in Northern Ireland without making a few more!
thar
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:48:07 PM

excaelis wrote:
I knew this would become a mares nest sooner or later. And thanks for the clarification,Thar. Sometimes Britannia waives the rules, eh ?

For the pedants here, the union jack is the naval ensign with the union jack in the corner (canton)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Naval_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg

apparently the Canadian flag was an a red ensign at one point, and some provincial flags still are. But they are not jacks if they are not naval!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canadian_Red_Ensign.svg
MichaelTait
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 11:56:57 PM

Neurons: 3
Athen-ee-um (as in Julius C)