The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

It was easier to know it than to explain why I knew it. If you were asked to prove that two and two made four, you might find... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 75,567
It was easier to know it than to explain why I knew it. If you were asked to prove that two and two made four, you might find some difficulty, and yet you are quite sure of the fact.

Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930)
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 3:47:34 AM

Neurons: 190,531
Yeah. You are alone. You are lonely. You are on your own, and therefore you are intrinsically free...
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 5:50:31 AM

Neurons: 4,643,523

Context from:A Study in Scarlet

Chapter 3

The Lauriston Garden Mystery

I confess that I was considerably startled by this fresh proof of the practical nature of my companion’s theories. My respect for his powers of analysis increased wondrously. There still remained some lurking suspicion in my mind, however, that the whole thing was a prearranged episode, intended to dazzle me, though what earthly object he could have in taking me in was past my comprehension. When I looked at him, he had finished reading the note, and his eyes had assumed the vacant, lacklustre expression which showed mental abstraction.

“How in the world did you deduce that?” I asked.

“Deduce what?” said he, petulantly.

“Why, that he was a retired sergeant of Marines.”

“I have no time for trifles,” he answered, brusquely, then with a smile, “Excuse my rudeness. You broke the thread of my thoughts; but perhaps it is as well. So you actually were not able to see that that man was a sergeant of Marines?”

“No, indeed.”

“It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it. If you were asked to prove that two and two made four, you might find some difficulty, and yet you are quite sure of the fact. Even across the street I could see a great blue anchor tattooed on the back of the fellow’s hand. That smacked of the sea. He had a military carriage, however, and regulation side whiskers. There we have the marine. He was a man with some amount of self-importance and a certain air of command. You must have observed the way in which he held his head and swung his cane. A steady, respectable, middle-aged man, too, on the face of him — all facts which led me to believe that he had been a sergeant.”

Read more:https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/d/doyle/arthur_conan/d75sc/part1.3.html

ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 6:37:06 AM

Neurons: 1,215,748
Sher-LOCKED, as I thought from the very beginning.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 11:31:33 AM

Neurons: 471,247
It was easier to know it than to explain why I knew it. If you were asked to prove that two and two made four, you might find some difficulty, and yet you are quite sure of the fact.

Remember Geometry class in 7th grade? You better figure out how to prove it...
ibj_ldn
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 1:01:15 PM

Neurons: 233,903
True. Simple, evident things are sometimes hard to prove.
ibj_ldn
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 1:02:10 PM

Neurons: 233,903
Along with Dame Agatha Christie, Conan Doyne is one of my favorite writers and is one of the world's best ever.
Gestan
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 9:24:37 PM

Neurons: 10,510

Arthur Conan Doyle (1859-1930)
Elorac
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 10:31:34 PM

Neurons: 218,147

Exactly! Think

A day without laughter... is a day wasted :-)