The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Please explain this sentence. Options
QP
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 6:51:15 AM

Neurons: 6,516
Hi friends,

Jack's daughter who was born from his first wife was killed in a car accident. He was very sad. One day, his current wife met her own daughter's friend name Susan at home, her teeth near fell out of her month. Susan looked so much like her husband's daughter as though they were twins.

Why her teeth near fell out of her mouth? Does it imply something?

Thank you
QP
thar
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 7:18:52 AM

Neurons: 72,390

What could make your (false) teeth fall out?
QP
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 9:26:12 AM

Neurons: 6,516
ha ha ha. Thank you. I got it.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 4:50:45 AM

Neurons: 176,780
Hi QP.

thar's answer is great, however I did want to say that the paragraph is rather strange-sounding.

"her teeth near fell out of her monuth" is not an idiom - it is a 'coined phrase' - something that particular writer decided to say.

A child is not 'born from' someone.
A woman has a baby.
Parents have a baby.
A baby has parents.

Jack's daughter (who he had with his first wife) was killed in a car accident.
Jack's daughter from his first marriage was killed in a car accident.

One day, his current wife met her own daughter's friend name Susan at home
The fact that her name was Susan, and the fact that they met at home are distracting from the story - and the grammar of that bit of the sentence is wrong - if they are needed, it would be better to separate them from this sentence (as a separate sentence or clause, or as a parenthesis).

One day, his current wife met her own daughter's friend Susan.
One day, his current wife met her own daughter's friend.
One day his current wife's daughter's friend came to visit. When they met, her jaw dropped . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 5:22:52 AM

Neurons: 72,390
I agree that it sounds odd. I thought it was just dialect, but on reading it again, that second sentence - "He was very sad" - that feels unnatural. The grammar is fine in that bit, of course, but the style feels so different from the rest of the piece. Maybe it is a bad translation or a very non-standard speaker.

'near' fell out is a common colloquial use so I had no issue with that, but the rest is odd in many ways.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2018 7:55:29 AM

Neurons: 176,780
Hi thar.

Yes - it was the "daughter who was born from his first wife" and "his current wife met her own daughter's friend name Susan" and "Susan looked so much like her husband's daughter as though they were twins" which don't sound like dialect, they sound ungrammatical.

"Near" as an adverb is found in a few different dialects in the USA and the UK, so I didn't count that one.

"daughter who was born from his first wife" = "daughter he had with his first wife" or (more commonly) "His and his first wife's daughter".

"his current wife met her own daughter's friend name Susan" - "friend, named Susan" or just "friend Susan".

"Susan looked so much like her husband's daughter as though they were twins" - "Susan looked so much like her husband's daughter you'd think they were twins" or "Susan looked just like her husband's daughter - as though they were twins."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!